Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carl Pagan ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:16AM

In reality, nobody takes the Bible literally because it is simply not possible to do so. But I'm wondering if Mormons at least profess to do so?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Platypus ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 06:13AM

I know that my TBM mother & aunt do. They both also believe in young earth creationism. The sick part is that my aunt is a history teacher outside of the Morridor, & doesn't believe that carbon dating is real.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 07:24AM

Date: August 13, 2014 07:36AM

I wonder what they make of the parts that say the Earth is flat and orbited by the sun.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 07:38AM

They take the Old Trestament and the Book of Revelation as literal. They give lip sevice to the Epistles. But they do not take the Gospels as literal. Oh, they really believe that Jesus said all those things. But they do not believe that it applies to them. In the Mormon mind, the purpose of the Gospels is simply to convince everybody else that Jesus was divine, using his parables and sermons to prove his superiority to all other humanoids. But when it comes to actually obeying him by being kind, etc., they feel they have more important things to do, like convincing everybody else that they know more about Jesus and God than the rest of the world does. In their mind Jesus is not about saving, and he is not about tolerance and compassion. He is about vindictive validation of their points of view.

Date: August 13, 2014 07:50AM

Very interesting summation, thanks.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 09:46AM

Like every adherent to the bible, they pick & choose what's literal based on their particular world view.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 10:17AM

They only accept it as true insofar as it agrees with Mormonism. If it disagrees with Mormonism, well that passage must of have been translated incorrectly.

Unfortunately, they don't apply the same standards to the Book of Mormon or the Inspired Version of the Bible. The former teaches the Trinity. The latter denies the possibility of eternal marriage.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 10:26AM

Ex Aedibus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They only accept it as true insofar as it agrees
> with Mormonism. If it disagrees with Mormonism,
> well that passage must of have been translated
> incorrectly.
>
> Unfortunately, they don't apply the same standards
> to the Book of Mormon or the Inspired Version of
> the Bible. The former teaches the Trinity. The
> latter denies the possibility of eternal marriage.

Bingo... I was going to give this same reply myself.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 10:12AM

So far as it was "translated" correctly ;)

(reference to one of the articles of faith and the essay on the book of Abraham)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 10:56AM

The Bible is often seen as a literal history book by many people.
I know Mormons and other believers that are sure the Bible is absolutely exact, literal, and to only be believed as such.
I know others whose understanding is more symbolic.

The Mormons have done what is typical of other Christian type religions and make a statement of their beliefs.

Mormons, in their 13 Articles of Faith (which have been changed from the original), do take a position on the subject in the
8th Article of faith:
We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

Reference to all 13 Articles of Faith:

http://lds.about.com/od/basicsgospelprinciples/a/13articlesfaith.htm

In my experience, most LDS folks tend to consider the Bible a literal history and miss or don't understand the symbolism. Probably because they are not looking for it.

Back in the 60's in the BYU married ward we attended, I recall a discussion on this subject and more were willing to look for the symbolism. I still recall a classroom discussion eating a book. was it literal? (For some odd reason, I am still able to access that experience!)
I'd have to look up the reference as I don't recall it now.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 11:17AM

"...the Book of Mormon remains secure, unchanged and unchangeable, ...But with the Bible it was not and is not so....it was once in the sole and exclusive care and custody of an abominable organization [Christianity], founded by the devil himself, likened prophetically unto a great whore, whose great aim and purpose was to destroy the souls of men in the name of religion. In these hands it ceased to be the book it once was."

- Apostle Bruce R. McConkie, The Joseph Smith Translation, pp. 12, 13

“... who, in his right mind, could, for one moment, suppose the Bible in its present form to be a perfect guide? Who knows that even one verse of the whole Bible has escaped pollution so as to convey the same sense now that it did in the original.”

- Apostle Orson Pratt, “The Bible and Tradition, without Further Revelation, an insufficient Guide,” Divine Authenticity of the Book of Mormon – No. 3, December 1, 1850, p. 47

Posted by: Argonaut ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 01:17PM

Much like the Book of Mormon, much of the bible was written/ adapted to give credibility to the rulers. Josiah "finding" the book of law and having a restoration is a big clue. TBM's also downplay any surviving mystic elements and dumb them down further by mormonizing them. Sons of God and Daughters of men having nephillim giant offspring turns into covenant keeping church members marrying non-members and that is bad.

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 01:41PM

This is an interesting topic. I used to take the bible literally and I think your traditional Mormon does too.

Had an interesting Sunday School lesson some time ago where the teacher (who also happens to be a famous LDS composer) chided LDS people for taking everything literally in the bible (in an Old Testament lesson). Talked about bible stories like "Jonah and the Whale", etc. He posed questions to the group like (paraphrasing...just illustrating the thought provoking ideas he was trying to get across to the group) "do you think these stories literally happened?"..."If they didn't literally happen, what do you think the author of the stories was trying to say to us?" (i.e. was the biblical author using these stories to illustrate a message?)..."Would your faith be shaken if you found these stories to not be literal?"..."Is there anything wrong if these stories aren't literal?"

This lesson truly opened my eyes...

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 04:41PM

Only so far as it is translated correctly!!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:15PM

I used to hear "as far as it is translated correctly (WTF that means), when referring to believing the Bible. So I always wondered when the cult would publish a "corrected" version...and tell all the Christian churches that they were preaching from the wrong book.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 05:56PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:58PM

If there is a part of the Bible that supports their views (and there are plenty of those parts) then they tend to take it literally. The other parts are governed by the idea that the Bible is a poor translation of what God said and/or meant.

Posted by: Steve Saigon ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 06:50PM

In many ways Mormonism is a 'rewrite' of the Christian Bible. It even has additional scriptural books.

The thing is, if the Bible is not the literal or even metaphorical word of God (and it isn't) then how does any Christian decide which parts are right and which are wrong? This is why there are so many different versions of Christianity out there - the Bible is incoherent.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 06:55PM

The BoM is sort of fan fiction of the Bible.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 11:47PM

It was Mary Baker Eddy, who "discovered" Christian Science (through automatic writing late at nigh), and wrote via divine revelation start to finish.

So it's not the Book of Mormon (1830s) which completes and corrects the Bible. It's "Science and Health" (32 editions from 1875-1910, all different) which corrects the mistakes and mistranslations of the Bible, completes the Gospel, and "restores primitive Christianity and its lost element of healing."

At least, that's what I was told when I was little!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.