Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: already gone ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 02:40PM

When were you told that you have to put the clown suit stuff on your elaborate wedding dress? and that no one would actually see it at your actual wedding? And that the dress has to be incredibly modest to the point of ridiculousness?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 03:05PM

No one told me I'd have to wear the clown costume over my wedding dress until we were in the bride's room and I grabbed my wedding veil to put it on and my mother came unglued and let me know I had to wear the temple veil. And that thing is so butt ugly and polygamist looking. Then she handed me the fig leaf and stuff and I spent from that moment until it was over and we got outside, trying to hold the tears back.

I thought that since I wasn't going through an endowment, I didn't wear the endowment garb. There was no internet or any spill-the-beans apostates around to tell me anything. So there we were, looking into the eternity mirrors and all I could see was a never-ending circus.

Posted by: already gone ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 03:13PM

I asked my sister in law about if you are required to wear the temple veil. She didn't answer but said "the wedding veil and the temple one are pretty much the same."

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 03:24PM

I knew in advance. I just brought my dress to put on afterward and wore the regular temple dress for the ceremony. With that said, I had no idea what all the temple clothes were going to be like!

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 03:25PM

No one told me either. I had that huge wedding dress on. And two temple worker and my mom tried to put the sash over my dress well it kept slipping so a very old temple worker lady pulled out her bobby pins and stabbed them in my right shoulder. I screamed ouch and my mom and the other temple worker said don't be such a wimp you are almost a married woman. My hair was up in a bun and I wore longer ear rings, well since I didn't know about the veil so now the temple worker ladies who were shorter than me had me bow down. My mom hasn't been to many weddings so she must have forgotten that part. My veil was the type that has a comp in the front so it sticks in the hair the nice temple workers again rammed that sucker in. Again I was speaking up that time not saying ouch but I said please be careful with my up due I paid $100 for it. It felt rushed and very personal after that we went into the sealing room. The Sealer had a short story about eternity and let us look into the mirrors somehow that calmed me down. we kneeled and said yes and that was it.
Now came the hard part the get the veil out of my bun. And to find the Bobbie pins. And when taking of the veil it got stuck to my ear rings. haha but I wasn't upset because I thought I did the lords will.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 03:31PM

I realized I'd have to wear the puffy clown costume to get sealed pretty much right before. I thought surely after our endowment I'd get to go to the bridal room and change out of that crap, but nope, straight to the sealing room. I was so disappointed.

I'm really curious sometimes if the "eternity mirrors" were someone's idea of a sick joke. We dutifully looked into those mirrors, trying really hard to not think of how stupid and ridiculous we looked, x 1000. I actually hated that part, it was so hyped up and then you end up there not even wanting to look at yourself.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 04:20PM

This is a sad conversation. A bride should know this information in advance. I think your mothers should have told you that you would be wearing a robe over your dress.

I sold and did alterations (temple fills) on bridal gowns and I told girls that their wedding dress would be covered in the temple. That was not hush, hush sacred information.

The gown that can be worn in the temple must have opaque sleeves to the elbow and a higher, lined neckline than the neckline that would just cover garments. Sometimes the alterations that were needed for the temple but not to cover garments were expensive and made the dress ugly. When that was the case, I would mention to the bride that the dress would not be seen and that a simple temple dress for the sealing and changing into her wedding gown for pictures, might be a better choice. I wanted the bride to have a pretty dress for the reception, but I didn't want to have the temple matrons cramming sleevlets and dickies into her dress.

I can't believe how many women I have met, who have left TSCC, who are really angry about the way they had to look when they got married. It's a shame that they can't get that day back.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 04:54PM

At least I had the satisfaction of knowing that my daughter knew exactly what to expect when she went through in the late 90s. As for my own wedding, I knew the dress had to be high neck, long sleeves and stuff. And at least in the mid-70s, they didn't let you wear short sleeves with socks over the arms or give you a dickie to cover your neck. The dress itself had to be regulation.

But they kept stressing that you didn't have to go through an endowment again when you went to get married, so it never occurred to me that the costume would be wedding garb too.

I know it's different now and girls know MUCH more about what to expect. And I've heard it's getting common to do what you suggest and not wear your WEDDING dress to your WEDDING. What a sad commentary that is about Mormonism. It pretty much says it all.... C-U-L-T!

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:41PM

Yep. My TBM sister just wore whatever ugly temple mumu they gave her to be sealed in, then changed into a real dress for photos afterward. Although younger than me, she knew a lot more about temple stuff than I did, having served a mission.

I was still TBM at the time (although the shelf was teetering), and thought how ironic it was she couldn't wear her wedding dress to her wedding.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 12:56AM

...I mean, in order to meet these requirements. Almost every TBM gown I see has cap-sleeves and some even have very low necklines. What, typically do they have to wear over their dresses to correct this?

Posted by: Sateda ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 03:32PM

Last couple temple weddings I went to, the Bride was provided with a white satin jacket that had the required long sleeves and high enough neckline. When I married, some satin sleeves were pinned to my short sleeved wedding gown and a piece of lace was placed at the front of the dress to raise the neckline slightly.

I knew well in advance what I was expected to wear for my sealing (veil, apron, sash, and robe). While I was dressing, my mother disappeared. I learned that a temple worker had told her to go iron my temple veil. I thought it was an absolute waste of time and energy. I thought the thing was hideous and felt a wrinkled veil would be about the perfect statement as to my feelings about it.

When I knelt at the altar, my sister got up and arranged the train of my dress so that it looked fantastic. Everyone in the room had to wait while she did this. She said later that it was my wedding and wedding dress, and I was entitled to have it look good for the wedding. I actually enjoyed the fact that we were taking up precious time from the assembly line weddings at the Salt Lake Temple that day.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:51PM

In primary, age 10, we were talking about wedding dresses. One of the girls said that there could only wear white in the temple. Not that I necessarily had a dream dress, but I was never fascinated with a temple wedding from then on. One lesson in Sunday School, about age 14, our male teacher was asking us where we wanted to get married. The girls answered: Bountiful temple, Salt Lake temple, Mt. Timpanogos temple, Logan temple (you get the idea). He came to me and I answered, "I don't know." He said that I didn't need to name a specific temple, just answer "temple." I replied again, "I don't know." He hesitated and went onto the next person.

Posted by: Whoa ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 12:24AM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 01:01AM

So they can have pictures that make their wedding appear normal, even though it was not.

Posted by: altava ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 05:29PM

This basically.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 01:03AM

TBM nieces are not only not wearing their dresses to be married in...they are having their wedding photos (with groom) weeks before the wedding. The ceremony and the reception are not even on the same day with the ceremony frequently occurring up to a few days prior to the reception. I've noticed that the mother of the bride and the bridal party as well wear outfits to the reception that they do not even wear outside the temple after the sealing. The receptions last about 2-3 hours. This means that the whole thing is phony from start to finish. Wedding dresses that one doesn't get married in, flowers that aren't used at the wedding but sometimes different flowers used for photo shoots, outside the temple after the ceremony and the reception, bridal parties that don't participate in the wedding but dress up...it goes on and on.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 02:20AM

You are so right. Ring bearers who bear no rings, flower girls who scatter no petals, bridesmaids and groomsmen who have no function other than having their picture taken. All of that is at the reception.

A wedding with no flowers, no music, no photographs and no walking down the aisle. A ring exchange that is exactly that, the bride and groom give each other a ring. It's not part of the ceremony. The officiant may be a guy that the bride and groom met for the first time twenty minutes before the ceremony. Oh and both witnesses must be male. And to top it all off, the unendowed or unworthy friends and family, sometimes including parents and grandparents and younger brothers and sisters are not allowed to attend, but they can be in the pictures outside the temple.

Like I said before, most former Mormons wish they could have a do over.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 06:32AM

My parents didn't believe in the temple, but they paid the thousands of dollars required of them to get a recommend for my wedding. My mother told me, up front, that my wedding dress would be covered, and we decided to just keep it in shape for the reception. Therefore, I could choose any style of bride's dress I wanted. The down side was that I paid extra money to rent a special brides' temple dress, which was made out of thick, potato-sack cotton, and zipped up the front like a bathrobe. The veil was so thick that I couldn't breathe through it. The headgear smashed my hair beyond repair, and I didn't have time to re-do it before the reception. The blood oaths, feeling doubts about my obnoxious-acting fiancee (who was a bully, but I didn't know it yet), having to get up at 4:00 am to drive to the temple--all of it made my intestines rebel, and I had to keep getting up to go to the bathroom during the session. The matrons gave me a hard time about it. I really wanted to run out of there and disappear somewhere.

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 12:39AM

I was a convert, I got married about a year and a half after I converted. My gown had intricate beadwork, was off-white, had small pink flowers on it, and my temple fill BARELY covered my garments (talking cleavage). I knew you had to wear a white, plain gown if you wanted to wear it in the sealing room, so I just wore the plain zip-up front polyester housecoat to get married.

The funny thing is that I am from the east coast and got married in Utah to a TBM and didn't realize how scandalous the neckline of my gown was. I came walking right out of the temple in that gown (I changed in the Bride's Room), to a lot of O_O which totally went over my head why they were looking at me like that. I don't live in Utah anymore, and it makes me laugh at all the "inappropriate" things I did and said in Utah because I didn't know any better.

Posted by: lovelilith ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 12:53AM

The more I move away from the church the more I abhor the awful horrid enforced sexist ugliness of the temple wedding garb and how weird it is. At the time I was sealed to my husband I told myself it was all meaningful and necessary, but now...ugh. It makes me sad to think of all the young brides who are not aware that their wedding day ideas are not acceptable for a temple sealing and will be subject to ugly draconian changes on the spot without so much as a by-your-leave. Brides, you should insist on a civil ceremony according to your wishes, and if you feel a sealing is important, do that later.

Posted by: scmdonanothercomputer ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 02:57AM

none of my three sisters wore their actual wedding dresses to their temple sealings. they changed in the temple afterward and wore them for pictures and receptions. One of my sisters-in-law wore the full temple garb over her actual wedding dress, and even as a somewhat TBM (she's the one I think I'm going to convince to defect first) she said it was one of the biggest regrets of her life and she felt like a caricature. She had personally sewn her dress, and is quite a talented seamstress. It was apparently a beautiful dress, and the look of it was ruined with the temple paraphernalia. I was only 9, so I don't remember the dress.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 01:06AM

I'm the youngest of six, but my youngest sister is older than I. She got married not long after I returned from my mission. I suspect because my dad has connections, I came home with an honoable release even though I was taken out of proselytizing (why do the LDS use that form, as opposed to proselyting, which is easier to spell and say and has the identical meaning?)to help re-roof shacks and make other general repairs bevcause I thought it was crazy to be talking to these people about religion when they often lacked the basic necessities of life.

Anyway, I still had a temple recommend, so I attended my sister's wedding even though I couldn't have classified myself as a believer in Mormonism even then. It was on St. Patrick's Day. My sister's husband was incredibly immature at the time of the wedding, and I'm not sure he's grown up all the way 8 1/2 years, six babiers, and a Doctorate of Dental Studies later. He found the green aprons on St. Patrick's day hysterical, and kept whispering that he and my sister were the only ones in the sealing room who couldn't get pinched. I was a silly 21-year-old, so I was giggling along with him. Now'd i'd probably gag.

My wife was the most beautiful bride I've ever seen, though I know I'm very biased. I hate to imagine her in her beautiful white dress if it had been covered in a green apron, that ugly veil, and the rest of the paraphernalia. I'm so glad we had a non-temple wedding.

Posted by: zaphodbeeblebrox ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 03:10AM

Ladies, I Feel your Pain, More than you can Ever Know ...

It's Stories Like yours, that Ultimately Convinced me to Make Sure My Fiance and I Settled ALL of our Various Compromises ...

Preferably, BEFORE Anybody Signed Anything Legally Binding!

Posted by: visiting ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 12:45PM

Our wedding day was our first (and last!) time we went through the temple. Neither of us knew what to expect. I was horrified to learn that I had to wear an emerald green apron and weird pilgrim veil. It felt like a sick joke. My mother had insisted I buy a dress that covered everything but my face and hands and then made them alter it to add extra thick lining behind the lace. She said my (convert) husband had to get a white tuxedo, white cumber-bun, white bow-tie, etc., because we were getting married in the temple. Imagine his shock when they told him he couldn't wear it and instead had to rent an outfit. It was a horrible experience. Over two decades ago and we still can't look at our wedding pictures without feeling sick and angry.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 01:33PM

I found out when I received my endowments before going on a mission.

Surprisingly, going to the temple for the first time was actually an amazingly positive experience, starting with the dress. At that time, I was told when I entered the temple that even though I wasn't getting married, I could still wear a bridal gown. The matrons took me to a room that was filled with gowns on hangers, and the first one I picked fit me perfectly from top to bottom.

Then in the actual ceremony, I found out about all of the veils and the other coverings.

I went to the temple for three years before I got married, so I knew what was expected. I also knew there wouldn't be photos of the actual sealing, so that didn't matter. I was looking forward to the requisite family-on-the-temple-steps photos outside.

Man, have I changed since then.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 12:08PM

I couldn't imagine. But I've heard. Mormonism pretty well knows how to ruin [anything and everything, especially family- imagine that. Ironic? Or Mormon Joseph's calculations?] a white wedding... and then to despoil, ruin, taint and pervert the laws of "heaven" and EARTH = "free" agency, in the temples (of earthly and worldly worship) this IS eternity. Never let TMC interfere (enter-fear) with anything in you life until death, and especially then. It will paint you in a dark light and take your light to brighten its grey image (not of the love or worship of saviour Jesus Christ, but as a pre-emptive go between you and [actual] God)/ your wallet/ your "belief"), of itself.

Let it wither in the drying sun without your nourishment and support, your story and your enrichment, your fertilizer and "joy!"!

Show me that garb and hope I could-would say - OUT THE WINDOW, lets run hun. God to fly guys.

YIKES

M@t

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 12:11PM

I was not told until I got there. Then they laid down rules. Because of some lace I had to wear a solid white shell thing, my train had to be up, i had to wear the tenple garb. I was angry. I remember distinctly being mad. I thought even then it was dumb. The temple matron actually tried to get me to wear a tenple dress and I refused. That made me feel worse.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 05:40PM

Obviously the bride is being scammed. It's not a wedding day. It's a temple day that you promise to give yourself to the church day. One of the requirements to do that is to have a man. They pretend like they're going to let you have a wedding. Everyone involved is complicit (except,maybe the man).

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 10:16PM

Lady Edith's Wedding dress was on display. I think it would pass Temple muster--you'd only be a century out of fashion.

http://www.elleuk.com/style/wedding-blog/downton-abbey-wedding-dress-inspiration

Posted by: captain ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 03:15AM

So ridiculous...I hated wearing the stupid baker's hat. I just recently watched my wedding video and I have the beaded dots around my head in the pictures from the hat. That was the last time I ever went to the temple.

Felt so sorry for my wife, it was a lame ceremony that I can't remember a word of, done by a stranger followed by a boring reception in the culture hall. Mormons have the lamest weddings ever. A courthouse wedding by a Justice of the Peace would be better.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.