Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 04:59PM

Even the non-Mormon folk. Especially when they live in a desert. Sometimes you hear “we’re not righteous enough” or “we need to pray harder” and all I can think is "Or maybe it’s because (by your own choice) you live in a freakin' DESERT!”

Seriously, sometimes I feel like I’m dealing with little children.

And that’s not the only one, there are plenty of other completely illogical prayers (whether you believe in praying or not, there are some that definitely stand out from the crowd) but I would like to hear some of your favorites.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:04PM

The other thing is that often, they don't pray for rain. They pray for 'moisture'.

My great-grandfather's brother once said about the monsoons in Arizona to the effect that 'ever since they started calling them monsoons, it's quit rainin'.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 12:15PM

These people, in North Salt Lake prayed for the rain to stop. They prayed with other families & were led by their Bishop neighbor. I guess it didn't work.
Do these people ever ask themselves why God ignores them?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/home-crumbles-north-salt-lake-landslide-24847836

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:11PM

As a farmer (35+ years) I was at the mercy of the weather....and I remember Morgbots and Born Again's praying for rain during the droughts we experienced in the late 80's....and it didn't help.
Prayin' to GAWD has fuckall to do with whether it rains or not. The sanctimonious, self righteousness epicenter of S. Alberta, Raymond, gets damaging hail quite often....and I live 7 miles north and don't....so them Mormons got some 'slainin' to do.

Ron Burr

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 11:56PM

Raymond needs a weather system that will blow in and remove all the fucking horse corral infestations in town limits, as well as blow the fucking horse sh!t out of town council's fucking brains that still allow it. But at least Raymond isn't Stirling. Now THAT is a first class barnyard community.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 11:46AM

Yes it is!!....we farmed east of Stirling fro 20 years where it's mostly non-Mormon...a much more tolerable neighborhood.

Ron Burr

Posted by: David A ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:19PM

Recent past supposed prophets have explicitly said that if Mormons will pay their tithing then it will rain. This is no different than any other “sacrifice” to the gods to get supposed favors and it’s a practice that’s been going on for thousands of years.

Posted by: funeraltaters ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:24PM

David A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Recent past supposed prophets have explicitly said
> that if Mormons will pay their tithing then it
> will rain.

Of course they said that. Fucking slimeballs.

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:34PM

Anyone remember Windows of Heaven? We used to have to watch it in Primary about once a year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LJuITHtbJo

From the description:

"This video details the story of President Lorenzo Snow when he traveled to St. George, Utah from Salt Lake City and ended up reminding the saints about the Law of Tithing. There was a drought at the time. President Snow promised the saints that the drought would end if they paid their tithing."

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:36PM

Is this the same Snow who had a young man castrated because he refused to concede his girlfriend to Snow? The same SOB that Snow Canyon is named after and also Snow College?

Yeah, the Morons know how to pick their righteous leaders, eh?

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 12:00PM

I don't believe that was Snow. He might have been the one that wrote about the incident though...and what BY said about it...the guy stayed in as bishop and was instructed not to talk about it, and people would forget. FAIR even confirms the story, but they claim the victim was a sexual deviant that was on his way to prison.

Date: August 13, 2014 05:30PM

I especially hate it when they pray for snow. I grew up in an area that gets a lot of snow during the winter, with average winter temperatures well below zero. But all winter long, public prayers would often include phrases like, "please bless us with moisture" and "we thank thee for the moisture that we have received." And of course no one is ever allowed to complain about the snow without someone saying, "But we could really use the moisture!"

Mormons are freaking obsessed with MOISTURE.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:34PM

Confucius say:

The Farmer prays for rain.

Her neighbor, the postman, prays for fair weather.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 05:48PM

apparently a LOT of people were praying in the East Coast...And Seattle, and the Amazon, and various parts of Asia

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 06:28PM

I had a GF that used to pray and ask god to inspire her as to which dress she should wear that day.

Praying for car keys that one drives me up the wall because I always find my keys in the last spot I look. Not the next to last or 4 from the last but the last spot everytime.

How about you, do you always find your key in the last spot you look or a spot of two before the last place you look for them?

Posted by: lenina ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 12:06PM

Ok now that one, I really did have a supernatural experience when a key was lost (was a very big deal in the military) then the key appeared in front of me when I opened my eyes from prayer. No joke. Happened in 1997. Will never forget it, will never deny it. Was fasting, praying, contrite, super faithful 110%.

Still exmo now though. Life has changed a bit :-\

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2014 12:09PM by lenina.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 01:20PM

"How about you, do you always find your key in the last spot you look"

I always find my keys in the last spot I look... because I stop looking when I find them.

Posted by: abaddon ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 06:34PM

I hate it when people pray to stop wars. I mean, if god didn't want a war he wouldn't have let it start!

God likes wars.

Date: August 13, 2014 06:53PM

It's true. God does like wars. That's why the Book of Mormon is full of them. It contains the fullness of the gospel, and it's all about wars. And chopping off various body parts.

Posted by: masonfree ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 09:23PM

Book of Mormon wars resemble a parent (God) who lets the kids punish each other so that he never has to do the actual dirty work himself.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 12:16AM

Then God supports both sides against each other in so many wars. Both sides claim God is on there side and pray to God for victory.

Posted by: Steve Saigon ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 06:56PM

Wouldn't God already KNOW when certain areas needed rain? The whole thing seems very dubious...

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 09:28PM

I was just thinking about that movie "the Windows of Heaven" What a manipulative piece of garbage. I used to think it was so inspired but it was just a push to guilt people into paying more tithing. Snow was probably in St. George right before the monsoon season so after the folks paid more tithing, there came the rain...naturally.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 09:36PM

The worst part is when it finally does rain (because it will if you wait long enough) they give their prayers credit. Hallelujah! Because, golly, it couldn't possibly be it's just the way global weather patterns work.

Posted by: lexaprosavedme ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 10:00PM

Bless this food to nourish and strengthen our bodies...it's cake and punch dumb ass.

Date: August 14, 2014 01:34PM

Student ward activity prayer a gal said, "Bless our refreshments that they don't do too much harm to our bodies."

Heehee

Was probably a more thoughtful prayer than asking for the potato chips & soda to nourish us.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 11:12PM

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 12:06AM

I took latin in high school and our teacher Mr Kearny would have us face north and say a prayer in latin to....Jupiter, I think, for a snow day off from school. Sometimes it worked. If he was in utah he would have been fired by a morg death squad for teaching paganism. He certainly had pagan leanings but was raised catholic and told funny stories of being brutalized by a nun who whacked him with a stuffed baby alligator.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 12:14AM

It is interesting to hear my parents pray, especially for their heathen apostate children. They continually pray that they will 'come back and believe what they know to be true'. But if you have learned that it is false, how can it ever be true?

Date: August 14, 2014 01:35PM

^^^^Very good

Posted by: too_much_rain ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 01:45PM

BWI Airport south of Baltimore Maryland got 6.3 inches of rain, which was the second wettest 24 hour day in recorded history.

Anne Arundel county in Maryland got 10 inches of rain from that storm.

Lots of nuisance flooding.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.