Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 09:03PM

I have pretty good research skills but I am trying to find the craziest quote from ETB. Everything I find is him quoting someone else.

Anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 09:19PM

I think you'll find crazier ones from Joseph Fielding Smith...

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 10:36PM

I know but I'm being petty trying to make a point with a family member....I just hate that I'm not finding something completely loony tunes out of his mouth. I guess the politician in him knew better.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 11:15PM

The moron ETB said Rachel Carson was "probably a communist."

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 01:00PM

perky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The moron ETB said Rachel Carson was "probably a
> communist."

Maybe not a communist, but she was a nature writer, and not a scientist. DDT was unnecessarily banned because of her unscientific pamphleteering. Untold millions of 3rd World people have died because of malaria, scarlet fever, and other tropical diseases that could have been seriously curtailed by mosquito elimination with DDT.

Was EBT a jerk? Sure, I guess. But sometimes jerks are right, even if for the wrong reasons.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 07:50PM

I understand this view of Rachel Carson is popular with Repubs, but have you ever heard of eagles, thin egg shells etc. The damaging affects of DDT and other ETB approved chemicals are very well documented.

In my view, you can't blame Rachel Carson for the pathetic ineffectiveness of African gov'ts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 07:52PM by perky.

Posted by: exmo59 ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 09:07PM

I assume your conclusion followed detailed study of both sides of the issue, lest you be accused of the same blind faith that a TBM would have.

For example, I'm assuming you have checked out the studies listed at this site:

http://junkscience.com/1999/07/26/100-things-you-should-know-about-ddt/

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 09, 2014 12:37AM

She was a science writer, and was actually a bit upset that DDT was banned so quickly; she wanted it to be used more carefully. Just MO, from research I did for a film.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 09, 2014 12:59PM

“Ezra Taft Benson, a Mormon elder who served as President Eisenhower’s Secretary of Agriculture, turned viciously ad hominem when he wondered ‘why a spinster with no children was so concerned about genetics?' He added his voice to those who saw Carson as an agent of subversion by concluding that she was ‘probably a Communist.’”

(from "Gentle Subversive: Rachel Carson, Silent Spring, and the Rise of the Environmental Movement," by Mark H. Lytle [Oxford University Press]; at: http://archive.audubonmagazine.org/books/editorchoice0709.html)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2014 01:01PM by steve benson.

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 12:25AM

"Would it have shocked you during World War II if a Nazi folksinger had received a U.S. Government service award and had a government building named in his honor?

"Yet Woody Guthrie, an identified Communist who worked as a columnist for one Communist publication and contributed to another, received the Interior Department's Conservation Service Award in 1965, and Secretary Udall announced that a Bonneville Power Administration sub-station in the Pacific Northwest would be named the Woodie Guthrie sub-station."

The Hon. Ezra Taft Benson, in his foreword to "The Black Hammer", a lovely book explaining how the Civil Rights movement was a Communist Conspiracy™.

They named a dam substation in Washington after Woody Guthrie? Looks like the Commies have already won!

http://sainesburyproject.com/mormonstuff/The%20Black%20Hammer

Date: August 15, 2014 12:44PM

"Who in the hell is 'iplayedjoe'?"

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 08:14PM

I hope you get an answer to that one, Steve.

Ron Burr

Posted by: exmo59 ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 09:13PM

I always liked his piece called The Proper Role of Government.

In this day of blind obedience and worship of government, it would be good for more to read.

http://www.latterdayconservative.com/ezra-taft-benson/the-proper-role-of-government/

Date: September 09, 2014 12:33AM

. . . about me to my own family, for heck's sake.

The following Grandpa Benson quote is one where I am quoting him--not him quoting quoting someone else. Alas, you won't find this gem in any Mormon church lesson manual or referenced in any General Conference talk because good ol' Grandpa made it during a personal phone call to my home on my birthday several years ago.

It was early in the morning and I was sleeping in. I was, however, suddenly awakened by my then-spouse exclaiming on the phone, "Grandpa!" and then laughing out loud. She hung up and I proceeded to ask her what that was all about. She said it was Grandpa Benson calling to wish me Happy Birthday and asking, "How is it living with that little turd?"

(Note: ETB was an Idaho farm boy from Whitney. My spouse was an Idaho farm girl, having been born and raised not far from there. ETB's T-word question was just another way of him asking about his cow pie-manure-feces-cow crap grandson was doing).

I later told the same story at a ward fireside, which prompted the indignant ward chorister to write me a scathing letter, accusing me of heaping disrespectful poo--poo on the Lord's Prophet True-True. I responded by explaining how the story made Grandpa Ezra T a real guy, accessible to the people and all that. None of this porcelain prophet ****, worthy of such a self-righteous "fit."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.