Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 04:36PM

My workmate has an umbrella because it rains. I got one too because it rains quite a bit in Kentucky. Neither one of us is from here, He's from Ohio (Kentucky's Hat) and I'm from Utah. Both of us have experienced umbrella homosexual bias. WTF?? Apparently I have achieved the f*g trifecta in Kentucky! 1) I have a cat. 2) I have long hair, and 2) I use an umbrella.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 05:56PM by Susan I/S.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 04:40PM

I used one often in Nashville. Not having one is stupid.

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 04:43PM

If you shared his umbrella during a thunderstorm, you'd bypass the trifecta and reach the quad-fecta. So, don't worry what others think unless you reach that stage.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 04:43PM

Says who? If someone said that to me, I would respond, why is that form of sexuality on your mind? Do you think of it often? -- or some such. Or maybe just a blunt, "Mind your own business."

Posted by: Xyandro ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 04:46PM

It's interesting to me how people use "homosexual" to try to keep others "in line".

I wonder if we get rid of the "homosexual" stigma that people seem to feel if everyone would be more free to be themselves, or people would find new ways to keep others "in line".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 05:57PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 05:07PM

Mormon men are afraid to even wear pink ties. Real men aren't afraid to wear bright things.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 05:27PM

I don't like terms like "real men." I think that is restricting. My max bench press is 275 lbs (which may or may not be impressive to you). Also, I dislike wearing pink because it doesn't make my eyes pop like other colors do.

I assure you, I am a real man.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 07:04PM

"Real Scotsmen" wear skirts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2014 07:04PM by crom.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 02:20AM

And on the kilt thing - when my son got married, he and his wife had a Celtic theme to their wedding, and Son and Groomsmen all wore full Highland garb.

I'm told that to a man, they all dressed as "true Scots." (One guy disappeared into the men's room and tucked his underwear into his sporran!!!)

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 06:23PM

And I wear our clan kilt on occasion.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 04:38AM

His father is Italian, and I don't suppose they have clan tartans in Italy. . . I didn't know until the wedding that my boy had looked up my family's clan DRESS tartan, and had it made up in kilt and "plaidie." He looked so incredibly handsome!

He was watching my face to see if I realized that he was wearing my family's tartan, and he told me later that at first I looked as if I couldn't believe what I was seeing, and then lit up like a Christmas tree. When I looked up at his face, he was grinning from ear to ear - he had certainly pulled a great one on old Mom!

Date: August 15, 2014 05:23PM

I'm sorry. You shouldn't be viewed poorly EVER, let alone because of something as stupid as an umbrella.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 05:24PM

Wow. Incredible ignorance. If you had a shaved head would you still be in the homosexual zone?

The numbers I found show that Kentucky is 65% protestant, with 45% Southern Baptist.

Baptist=fundy=dumb as shlt.

Kentucky is one of those states that makes me say "And people really LIVE there?

Does the color of your umbrella matter? Or just its existence? I guess real Kentucky men just get wet and smell like old dogs for the rest of the day.

Sad, sad, people.

By the stats, they are poor, which correlates with a lack of education. Nearly 2 out of every 100 is on welfare. They are the 7th state for the highest poverty level.

Yeah, a bang up place of intellectual enlighten.

Percent below poverty level 17.4% [7th of 51]
Percent of Children Below Poverty Level 25 % [6th of 51]
Percent of Households With Retirement Income 17.9 % [17th of 51]
DEFINITION: Percent of Households With Retirement Income, 2004
Percent of People 65 Years and Over Below Poverty Level 12.6 %
Welfare Caseloads > Total recipients (per capita) 1.838 per 100 people

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 05:58PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 05:29PM

Actually, it's using a parasol that makes a man a sissy. Well in Kentucky, anyway.

Actually, I have no problem with men using parasols or umbrellas when I'm in or out of Kentucky. So have at it.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 07:01PM

Yeah, that's stupid, and it's nobody's business if you have sense enough to protect your clothing and hair from getting soaking wet. I live in the south, and some guys around here think it's "unmanly " to dress appropriately for the cold weather. A real man runs around in a short sleeved shirt in freezing weather because he's not a sissy. You know they're freezing their asses off. Real impressive. Too dumb to protect your body.

Posted by: yamsi ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 11:28PM

I visit Columbus Ohio frequently for work. I have the travel umbrella on the list of essentials. The rain is different in Ohio than Utah, an everyday Ohio rain storm is called a flash flood in Utah.

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 11:39PM

Not using an umbrella is stupid. I know someone who refuses to use sunscreen because he thinks it's sissy. I just think he's stupid. Apparently, stupidity is less threatening to his masculinity. ;-)

Date: August 16, 2014 04:53PM

Just because someone makes different decisions than you does not mean that they are stupid.

Posted by: planet of the ape ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 11:45PM

I'm a man, and I always use an umbrella when it rains. I wouldn't want my make-up to run!!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 15, 2014 11:47PM

I'm from Oregon. When I lived there, I worked for Nordstrom in the mens department.

If you wear expensive suits and shoes, it would be considered not too wise to wear them in the rain. A good umbrella, and Tingley rubbers were a must. Yep, that's the name, lol. Every well dressed man wears Tingley rubbers. http://www.tingleyrubber.com/product/dress-rubber-overshoes.html

It makes sense when you pay hundreds of dollars for nice shoes and have to walk in rain, salt, snow.

Umbrellas and over coats are a must when you pay big bucks for a suit, shirt, and want to arrive at a destination not looking like a drowned rat.

Posted by: Jesse ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 02:22AM

It's smart to have an umbrella, and cats are the best.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 02:40AM

I am concerned about you. Studies have shown that cats and umbrellas serve to lower a man's testosterone levels. Strange but true.

There are really only two choices. Dump the cat and the umbrella, or add these two accessories:

Man Purse:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041E5DF8/?tag=carboncostume-20

Birkenstocks:
http://www.amazon.com/Birkenstock-Unisex-Arizona-Sandal-Taupe/dp/B000EYDJXW/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1408171197&sr=1-2&keywords=birkenstock

The choice is yours, but remember, a testicle is a terrible thing to waste.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 06:00PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 12:32PM

Now that my husband is out of the Army, he can use an umbrella regularly (he wasn't allowed to while in uniform)... LOL.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 01:20PM

That would brand millions of Brits, who live in a very rainy part of the world as sissies...fucking stupid.

Ron Burr

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 04:56PM

In Washington State. .. You wear a baseball cap. At least in my area. Seattle wimps use an umbrella. Actually i hardly see people with them here.

Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 05:44PM

I'm semi-openly gay, but I still refuse to use an umbrella. I'm from a very conservative region where it doesn't rain much, so I was conditioned to think that an umbrella is a very feminine thing. Now that I've moved to a more liberal area where it rains more often, it always shocks me to see straight men using umbrellas.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 06:01PM

And getting wet when you don't have to makes a man stupid.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 06:01PM

Hoods, and hats. If you use an umbrella people will ask you if you are from California :)

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 06:15PM

I lived in South Korea for several years. Men there aren't afraid to wear pink and every man has a bag. A murse is a very important masculine accessory.

The summer often brings very heavy rains. An umbrella is not a fashion statement. It's a necessity.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 06:39PM

Now, see, if you'd gotten a camo umbrella, then the "real" men would be envious. Actually, golfers' umbrellas are probably acceptable. Get one that says Titleist or Ping. They're bigger, too. Perhaps your mistake was getting a Hello Kitty umbrella. ;)

Now that I think of it, the office Christmas present one year in conservative North Carolina was an umbrella with the company name on it.

There was a book out decades ago entitled "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche." I thought there should be a book that responded, "Real Men Eat Whatever the F*ck They Want, @sshole." So, real men don't give a f*ck what others think of their umbrella.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 11:45AM

I like that. And if it also says "Smith & Wesson" your golden.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.