Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: leafonthewind ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 12:40PM

I was talking to my mom this morning (about 3 hours ago) when she happened to bring up church. I haven't been to church since late May/early June (can't remember exactly) and that was only once. If you don't count that one time, I haven't been to church since February. Anyway, she said something along the lines of "I know you're having troubles with this ward but eventually you'll come back to church." It was so hard for me, but I responded with, "Actually..."

This then lead into a 3 hour long discussion about why I don't want to go to church... And she actually agreed with me on a lot of points! She also told me she's had her doubts and she doesn't know how she'd be able to stop attending because she has a calling in the nursery and feels like it would be rude of her to abandon her responsibility. But it's a step!

Oh, she also said, "You don't know how much I'm dying for an iced tea!" (She's a convert and was baptized after she married my dad.)

Yay!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 12:47PM

Wonderful!!! I hope you get a chance to take her out for some iced tea. Didn't the church just officially sanction cold caffeine as ok since Mitt got caught drinking Diet Coke?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 12:49PM

She can't have an iced tea because the scriptures say that it's
not a commandment, but she should avoid hot drinks.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 12:49PM

Very exiting!

If she's open to it you may want to see if she will watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ac_fLUHiBw

or go here:
http://www.mormonthink.com/

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 12:56PM

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 12:58PM

That's awesome. It reminds me of my own convert parents. I was 27 and terrified of confessing to my parents that I no longer believed in the church. My parents, especially my mother, were pretty strict about the church and I didn't want to "shock" them with my disbelief. To my pleasant surprise they were very understanding and eventually read "my research" about the church. They were very troubled by what they read and upset that they never learned these things in the 20 years they were in the church. They resigned within a year.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: December 01, 2012 03:33PM

Rude? Rude?

The morg is making her work for free - at one of the lousiest "callings" in the wards - and she worries about being rude for quitting?

Have another heart to hart talk with mom and explain that she does not owe anything to the Mormon church.
They are being rude to HER for using her as an indentured servant.
Sheesh.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.