Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Great Inquisitor ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 10:58PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 11:34PM

I was wondering about that too....

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 11:35PM

The silence is getting louder.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 11:47PM

Did he just have the one meeting or was there a follow-up?

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: August 16, 2014 11:55PM

I'm also curious what will happen to Rock Waterman.

Posted by: pickle ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 01:09AM

He posted on FB last week that he'd have more info to share in two weeks.

Posted by: johndehlin ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 04:57PM

My wife and I have met w/ my stake president twice now (6/29 and 8/7). At this point he's still trying to decide whether or not to hold a disciplinary council. My guess is that he'll notify me within the next week or so that he will be holding a council....but I won't know for sure until I hear from him. One thing I can say for sure is that this is taking a loooooong time for him to decide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 04:58PM by johndehlin.

Date: August 19, 2014 05:03PM

Good luck!

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 05:03PM

Hey John: (Ken Clark, former CES here)

In those meetings are you being asked to bear your testimony?

When I was getting called in a lot, they always wanted to carefully listen to my testimony.

My last meeting did not consist of a testimony due to the huge argument we had. And I quit CES and the church that day.

I'm not being critical, but really want to know. I was a convert and there was huge relief and rejoicing when I quit the church. Do you stay in because of your background and all your relatives?

Thanks,
Ken

Date: August 20, 2014 06:52PM

Ken - Yes. I was asked to share my testimony (or un-testimony) as part of my two interviews. It was a bit frustrating, because I feel like he really didn't want to listen to understand.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 08:18PM

Hi, Ken. It's me. You know... *jab-jab*

Anyway, how did you feel about that testimony thing? Sounds like they are asking you to perform. Were you insulted?

In the Air Force, we had periodic drug testings and had to pee into a bottle with a couple of people watching. That's what your testimony thing reminds me of, somehow.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 05:05PM

It sounds like they are trying to decide how much damage will happen (meaning bad church publicity) if you are disfellowshipped or exed.

More time will let things quiet down for the church.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 05:54PM

I'm sorry you're going through this. It must be very hard.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 06:06PM

Date: August 20, 2014 06:53PM

He is emphatic that he is acting alone. I have no way of knowing...though there's some evidence to the contrary (I will likely share later). What I will say is that it feels like this is taking FOREVER....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 06:53PM by johndehlin.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 08:23PM

You might have a point there with three outspoken indivudals being called to court at the same time by independent stake councils, bishoprics in different parts of the country.

Hell of a coincidence. I suspect you have more than that, but it is enough for me. Unlike you, I give no benefit of the doubt to Mormon motives, nor do I give credibility to Mormon explanations, especially when they are not uniform and from the top.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2014 08:27PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 07:03PM

John,

I hope things work out in such a way that you feel good about the results.

DT

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 07:07PM

Thank you for standing tall with your principles! I admire how you've stayed true for your beliefs including your desire to remain LDS. Very best wishes for you and for your family.

Boner.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 10:04PM

Can you write a letter of support for John to give to his bishop?

You can remain anonymous and use your Board name. :)

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 05:12PM

Sound like SP (and the church) is somewhat stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one...probably regretting initiating the action and publicity too. I don't see any way that they can come out of this positively.

Surely it would also be concerning that a SP is struggling so much with making a decision when they're supposed to simply rely on revelation. God must be a little confused on this one too.

Date: August 19, 2014 06:04PM

> Sound like SP (and the church) is somewhat stuck
> between a rock and a hard place on this
> one...

Or at least stuck between a rock and a hat ...

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 06:09PM

Date: August 20, 2014 06:54PM

Yes....on this one...it feels like God is either slow or really busy. Frustrating either way.

Posted by: colorado ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 08:37PM

John, I wish you and your family well on your journey, whatever the outcome and whatever motivation you may have, be true to you first..or better said by Polonius, "To thine own self be true"

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 05:28PM

Let's start a pool. I got 10 bucks that says:

disfellowship, 9/1/14.

Posted by: spreson ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 06:06PM

Excommunication: 9/14/14.
just in time to announce it in GC

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 06:59PM

If I was John Dehlin, I would be building an invisible fort around my family. TSCC is damned if they do and damned if they don't. The best way out for them, is to make John so uncomfortable that he resigns. They already know how much abuse he can take, so I think they'll go after his wife and kids. The way they manipulated Mormon women in the face of the Ordain Women movement (which was reminiscent of the ERA) shows that they have no problem finding women who will do their dirty work. I think they will release "The Mean Girls".

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 07:30PM

I went through a long drawn out situation with my bish and sp. They both insisted that it was them, and them alone making decisions. I didn't believe that for a minute.

A YEAR down the road....

I'm in the sp's office. Someone knocked on the door and he had to step out for a minute. Under a file folder on his desk was a stack of about 30 letters from SLC.

A perfect example of lying for the lord. It was that day I went home, got online, and landed on How to stay Mormon. I didn't.

Date: August 20, 2014 08:19PM

Good luck, John. These are strange times.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 08:26PM

Please expand on the strangeness. This seems to me to be what has happened on other planets, remember?!?

Date: August 20, 2014 08:28PM

I see that you are right. Now go and get Adam to partake.

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 08:58PM

John, can you comment on John Larson's statement that this ex proceeding is the worst PR thing the church could possibly have done and therefore could not have been orchestrated by Salt Lake?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.