Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bella10 ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 03:33PM

Since I grew up Mormon the only knowledge I have of normal weddings is basically what I have seen in movies. So, my question is, What is the purpose of bridesmaids, the maid of honor, groomsmen, and the best man? I know they typically plan/host the bachelorette and bachelor parties, but do they serve any other purpose?

Edit: And if one is not interested in having a bachelor/bachelorette party why have bridesmaids and groomsmen at all?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 03:38PM by bella10.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 03:34PM

Not really

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 04:04PM

Bridesmaids traditionally helped the bride with... I don't know, her dress or something? Basically, they traditionally did whatever a maid would have done back in the days of elaborate dress. Groomsmen would greet and serve as ushers. These days, both roles are more of a way to recognize your closest friends at your wedding, though they may still do the traditional stuff.

The best man and maid of honor serve as witnesses to the marriage. They're heavily biased in favor of the couple, but the law still allows it.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 04:18PM

Makes for a bigger party and they show their support, but as far as making any decisions...Bridezilla is making ALL the decisions.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 11:03PM

They stand up in the front of the church or whatever venue is used, basically keeping them company. They can help the couple avoid or fend off the jitters before the ceremony! People to wait with before galloping down the aisle. They're "the bridal party."

Posted by: Athena ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 11:13PM

...in some cultures, the purpose of groomsmen was originally to help the groom kidnap a bride.

In other times in history, bridesmaids served as "decoy brides" to either prevent the bride from being kidnapped before the wedding, or to confuse evil spirits who might follow her on her wedding day.

Weddings in medieval Europe cemented family alliances, which were also often military alliances. If the princess of Spain was prevented from marrying the prince of Belgium (for example), any military alliance that was conditional upon the wedding would not be binding. Kidnapping the bride would certainly prevent the wedding. Five decoy girls in matching dresses would help thwart that plan.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 12:07AM

One thing about bridesmaids being there to confuse evil spirits is that they wore nearly identical dresses as the bride's. The tradition of white wedding dresses really didn't become popular until Queen Victoria wore a white dress for her wedding, as brides just wore their nicest dress for the wedding, and it wasn't always white. Even before white dresses were common, brides didn't wear black for the same reason most brides won't wear that color today.

Posted by: bella10 ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 12:20AM

I did not know any of that, but those are definitely some interesting facts. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 11:49PM

They typically make speeches at the reception,and throw a bridal shower and/or bachelorette party. The bridesmaids are props, really. Other than the bride recognizing their friendships, they don't actually do much of anything.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 17, 2014 11:58PM

The maid (or matron) of honor and best man stand with the bridal couple as they are wed. The MoH might help to adjust the bride's veil or train, and hold the bouquet for the bride while she takes her vows. The best man might hold the wedding ring for the groom. Groomsmen serve as ushers and bridesmaids might assist the bride in a number of ways before and during the wedding. They will typically be a part of the march down the aisle (before the bride going to the altar, after the bridal couple exiting the church.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2014 11:59PM by summer.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 12:00AM

They make the wedding more beautiful with their dresses, flowers and tuxedo's. It's a great way to have the couples closest friends be part of their wedding.

When my daughter got married, her maid of honor and brides maids were helping me get flowers on everyone, get the bride dressed, getting makeup done, and taking care of the million other little things.

The brides dress can be huge, and very heavy. If the bride has to pee during the time she has the dress on it can take 3 people to hold up her dress. Something most people don't think about. This is where the bridesmaids come in handy.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 03:29AM

your dearest friends.

At my first wedding, I got into a terrible dilemma about whom to choose as the Maid of Honor - my longtime best friend, or my college roommate of 3 years? I loved them both dearly and didn't want to offend one by choosing the other.

I don't know if Emily Post would approve, but I came up with a great idea. Since one of my friends was married, I dubbed her "Matron of Honor," and the other was still single, she was the "Maid of Honor." Both of them wore different colored-dresses than the rest of the bridesmaids. So I was able to recognize both of them as "extra-special." They still ARE.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 12:11AM

We got married at 9:30, had our "reception" at 1 p.m. in the garden of our singles ward chapel. We had a buffet. No line. Everyone just mingled.

I had SO MANY compliments on my reception, especially by my nonmo friends.

A lot less drama. A lot less money. We took the money we saved and went on a 2 week honeymoon to Hawaii and Disneyland.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 12:22AM

I hate reception lines. I like it much better when people just walk in and mingle.

Posted by: SeaNeverMo ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 12:23AM

MadAlice has it right. The bridesmaids help the bride out on the wedding day - calming nerves, running errands and getting beautified. Those dresses are awkward and heavy - I needed my maid of honor at my side in the bathroom! Groomsmen also help the groom stay relaxed on the wedding day - last minute male bonding goes a long way right before getting married.

I don't understand wedding parties with 10+ bridesmaids & groomsmen. I had a maid of honor (best friend), and two bridesmaids (childhood friend & niece). That was just the right amount, and it was a great way to include those coldest to me. My bridesmaids were also invaluable in the wedding planning. They helped me choose my dress, listened when I got overly stressed, and made fun suggestions.

Posted by: anonymous4now ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 12:34AM

A good maid of honor and best man also know the family dynamics at play and can help avoid conflicts as well as if issues arise in the wedding day, they can help sort it out knowing what the bride and groom want. My wedding wouldn't have been possible without a great wedding party to help direct and guide things. My MoH also kept track of my back up make up and came to appointment to help learn how to correctly take the veil in and it without messing up my hair. A long with screening phone calls and making last minute decisions so I wasn't stressed that morning. And I'd feel honored to do the same for her when that day comes.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 09:35AM

My best man took me to a pool hall and as we played he tried to talk me into going to the bishop to ask for a mission call. This was about four hours before the wedding. He was a joker and was trying to make me lighten up from the nerves I had. We were married just prior to traveling to the temple and took place in the ward chapel. His job was to make sure I got there in time for the service.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2014 09:43AM by michaelc1945.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 10:36AM

I was a bridesmaid in one wedding where my only purpose was to keep the bride's mother away from the bride's step mother. I was the only one in the wedding party besides the bride and groom (and of course her Dad) who knew both of them. First time they had ever been at the same family event.

So I did server a purpose. Otherwise it is to share the day with your friend and be part of their special moment.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 12:38PM

An acquaintance of mine & his wife had a double sized wedding party for their wedding. The husband mostly had groomsmen, but he also had if I remember correctly at least 2 lady attendants (can't call them bridesmaids) that wore formals different than the bridesmaids, but that matched the colors of the groomsmens' tuxedos. Then with the wife, her brother & I think someone else were her gentlemen attendants that wore tuxedos that matched the bridesmaids' formals. & then the really cool thing is that both sets outfits matched in a contrasting way.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 06:29PM

Well, the main difference between Mo wedding attendants and non-Mo ones is that in normal weddings, the attendants actually get to attend the wedding. Many Mo weddings, not only do the attendants do nothing in the wedding they very often can't even attend. They are props for the pictures. In their little cute dresses with ugly shrugs over them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.