Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AZanon ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 03:08AM

I'm not interested in debating politics.

I just wondered if anyone knows if there's a way to find the religious affiliations of political candidates?

I don't see it listed anywhere on the junk mail I've been getting.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 03:13AM

I just moved here and I don't want to vote for anyone too closed minded to figure out the fraud of tscc. Hope someone has a way of finding out.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 04:01AM

Look up their education on their bio, see if byu appears. Google their name and mormon, see what news stories are written about them. Usually they flaunt it.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 18, 2014 10:26AM

Easy. Ask an active Mormon.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 01:16AM

If they are republican candidates for state leg, it's highly likely they are LDS. And pretty much guaranteed if they are rep candidates in the east valley (LD 25, 26, 12, 16, 17) If they are an incumbent, it usually lists their religion on their profile in the bio section on state leg website. Ed Ableser in the Senate is the only LDS Democrat in the leg.

I'm very involved in AZ politics. Do you have a candidate or race you are looking at? The republican primary for gov has been very entertaining this year. I can tell you pretty much anything about any of the candidates.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 01:09PM

they're most likely Mormon. One Arizona's US senators, Jeff Flake, is a relative of mine.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: August 19, 2014 05:18PM

So is Will Cardon who ran against Flake and is currently running for SoS (and is currently being sued by his siblings for stealing trust fund money for his campaigns).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2014 05:18PM by goldenrule.

Posted by: azcrazy ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 04:57AM

I may miss some but here goes:

Arizona LDS politicians-

Currently running for AZ Governor are Ken Bennett, the current secretary of state and Scott Smith, the mayor of Mesa. Frontrunner Doug Ducey is not LDS but his former boss (the founders or Coldstone Creamery) are.

The Junior Arizona United States Senator is Jeff Flake. Will Cardon (his cousin) who ran against Jeff for U.S. Senate and lost is now running for AZ Secretary of State (which is currently filled by Ken Bennett (see above)

AZ Republican Congressman and former AZ gubernatorial candidate (and LDS high councilman) is Matt Salmon. This is his second time in the U.S. Congress. (He spent the time in between terms making a fortune as a tobacco lobbyist- no kidding)

AZ Democratic Congress-woman Kyrsten Sinema is no longer active and is curently in a same sex relationship.

Many in the AZ state legislature including Eddie Farnsworth, Andy Biggs, Justin Pierce are LDS, just to name a few.

John Lewis is the current mayor of Gilbert (and stake president)

On the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors you have Denny Barney. He replaced long time BOS member Don Stapley.

The Chairman of the Arizona Chamber of Commerce is Alan Heywood.

America's toughest sheriff Joe Arpaio is not LDS, but his son-in-law Phil Boas is. Phil is the managing editor for the Arizona Republic. (and Steve Benson's boss :)

There are many more on the city levels as well.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 20, 2014 06:59AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.