Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon 4 This ( )
Date: December 27, 2012 11:50PM

I live in the heart of the morridor. My wife (still TBM) has a stay-at-home-mom friend who's had a rough year financially. Her husband had his pay cut twice and ended up taking a second job.

We decided to help them out for Christmas. We anonymously stuck an envelope with some cash in it through the mail slot in their door.

Her friend posted a generic "thank you" on facebook, and my wife talked to her a few days later where she told her all about it.

Apparently they'd just gone to charity extortion (tithing settlement) on Sunday and had only $25 to last the rest of the week. They were really worried how they would feed their family. Then she gushed about how the amount they'd been given was within $5 of what they'd paid for tithing!

Although I'm glad they'll be able to feed their family, it makes me sick that I'm going to be the source of a stupid faith-promoting story.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 12:13AM

this must make you feel really weird. don't worry about it being the subject of miracle of tithing story. At least you're intentions were good. It was really a nice thing you did.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 12:14AM

Instead of making it anonymous, you should have signed it as some random Catholic Saint.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 12:18AM

Because nothing makes a Mormon more uncomfortable than signing a card. Mary Mother of God and Queen of Heaven.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 12:38AM

Or sign it The Three Nephites.

Might as well invoke two Mormon myths in one.

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 12:56AM

Whether they equate it with Mormon mythology or not, you still did the charitable thing and helped someone out at Christmas. Isn't it something that they only had $25 to their names and their church leaders didn't help them--or they didn't feel comfortable asking for it when they've paid tithing to help others in times of need?

A complete cluster %$^#.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 09:34AM

Unfortunately, people generally don't change until they hit rock-bottom. It might have been difficult to see them hit the floor, but now they will believe even more in the tithing miracle.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 09:39AM

You should have signed it "Tithing refund."

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 09:50AM

next time perhaps a gift certificate to a local grocery store would work. make sure the store wont convert to cash.

but i dont know will the church take grocery gift certificate for tithing???

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 10:02AM

There are two single Moms in our ward, both not well off financially, both recent converts, both have recently been to the temple, and both have been hounded about tithing.

The one I know better can't afford to pay tithing. She planned to pay the whole year of 2012 once she gets her tax return next year. The bishop told her it's not acceptable and must be paid before the end of the year or she will lose her recommend.

I haven't felt a lot of anger towards the church, but it's things like this that make my blood boil. The church's over emphasis on getting your money is just sickening. Where is the compassion of Christ for the poor, the widows, the orphans. In TSCC, you can only have those things after you've paid up. These women can't have their kids sealed to them anyway, since there's no man. Sick, sick, sick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 01:46PM by twojedis.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 09:18PM

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 11:23AM

Remember the 60 minutes story about the american doctors who were allowed into North Korea to perform some eye operations? I think is was cataract surgery, something quite common here, but not over there.

As soon as the patients realized they could see once again, they ran to the photo of their dictator leader Kim Jung whatever-his-name-is, kneeled down and tearfully thanked their dear leader for restoring their eyesight.

No one thanked the doctors.

Mormonism is just like that. The members thank the very organization responsible for many of their problems....

Next time you help out a mormon, maybe leave a note that the help came from someone who is OUT of the church....

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 11:31AM

That tithing miracle is as tired as the lost car keys tale but much more harmful.

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 11:39AM

I like how on your side (to the OP) that you're thinking to yourself "Hey, this family isn't well off and might want something for Christmas." and so you give them some money.

Then they go into this complete long story about how it's a tithing miracle, blah blah blah.

There was no "spiritual prompting" on your side, no influence, etc, just a simple human compassionate thought. Makes things seem a lot less spiritual that way to me, just something I picked up.

Posted by: cymorg ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 03:34PM

you're part of the problem without trying

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 04:06PM

If some hungry kids get fed it's still the right thing to do. It's like with welfare, yeah I hate knowing my taxes are enabling a few people that can't or won't help themselves. But remove the kindness because of potential abuse and some kids who legitimately need it go hungry. Alright then, I can live knowing there are some abusers out there. It's the lesser of two evils.

Also f*ck charity extortion, that's all kinds of messed up.

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 09:13PM

The Man in Black Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If some hungry kids get fed it's still the right
> thing to do. It's like with welfare, yeah I hate
> knowing my taxes are enabling a few people that
> can't or won't help themselves. But remove the
> kindness because of potential abuse and some kids
> who legitimately need it go hungry. Alright then,
> I can live knowing there are some abusers out
> there. It's the lesser of two evils.

Exactly. Very well put, Man in Black.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 04:59AM

100% agree MIB.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 04:12PM

God truly works in mysterious ways.

The spirit worked on the generous soul of the exmo, who helps this family in need. Whilst LDS, Inc. God's one true real estate development corporation takes what they need to get by. Ouch!

Church of JESUS CHRIST my [ramyrumptom]!

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 04:23PM

You know, it's funny because it is like the cataract surgery in North Korea (that is what it was, they have a documentary on it) in fact it's almost EXACTLY the same. All the time, good things will happen to Mormons that happen to everyone else out of human compassion or something else of the sort, but they ALWAYS thank the church for the good things that happen.

They associate every good thing with the fact that they are in the church...BUT a lot of things that they get help with are actually other people helping them out because they are in bad situations that the church created. Isn't that ironic? :)

Posted by: free and loving it ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 04:31PM

I have a story that worked the opposite way. The down economy has effected my family in pretty negative ways like so many this past year. My wife and I kept having the impression placed heavily on our hearts to help out a young family this Christmas. We had $235.00 in our account and wasn't in the position to be helping them out.I told God about my concerns and that I didn't understand why I was having this placed on me. I did as we were prompted and asked God to provide for us. Four days later we received an anonymous card with $1,0000 in it. I'm proud to say that I am an official ex-Mormon and know that my life has never been better since we left the corporation.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 08:33PM

+1000000000000 That's AMAZING! :D

So you got that money after you decided to NOT pay tithing? :) That is something a Mormon would never tell in church haha

They would probably just tell you the devil was trying to influence you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2012 08:35PM by nickson.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 04:35PM

That's a wicked, wicked, thought--find out who the people are that are in bad finacial shape, mostly due to tithing, then drop envelopes with cash on them with a note that says: "Wishing you a Blessed New Year and praying for you in your time of need, from the parishoners of St. Joseph'sCatholic Church"

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: December 28, 2012 09:47PM

Exmo money -- next year give yourself a 10% raise and ditch the church.

Posted by: nofear ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 08:57PM

I donated some of what I used to pay in tithing to catholic charities this year. These charities really help those in need, regardless of religious affiliation or tithing payment status. Catholics helping those in need with tithing money is a real tithing miracle!

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 09:21PM

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 09:06PM

Anon 4 This: They really are "as children." A child doesn't know that people are working right now to provide electrical service, day and night. Police are protecting your neighborhood, and firemen are at the station waiting for alarms. Nurses and Doctors work graveyard shifts every night. Soldiers, too.

Your charitable impulse (very noble, in my opinion) is something that the childlike can attribute only to a god. I appreciate your character and laud your actions, no matter the result.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 09:31PM

Maybe next time include a note that says something like:

Dear [insert family name here]

Accepting and spending this money obligates you insuring that you family is adequately fed, housed, clothed, educated, and medically taken care of. Only after the family needs are met and there is a sizeable contribution to your saving can you pay tithing out of what is left over.

Regards and blessings,

Elohim

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 30, 2012 10:10PM

I know it's hard. I was asked to contribute to a fund to pay for someone to come in and clean my parents' house. Mother is blind and father is pretty incapacitated. Course they pay a full tithe and the fact that we are helping with this is probably s blessing from God because they pay their tithing. But I had to tell myself it's for my mother who could never see the irony if she tried. She could be having to sleep in a ditch and my dad would pay tithing instead of buying her a blanket. Those kids would have had no Christmas if you didn't help. Their parents still wouldn't have chosen their kids over their cult.

Date: December 31, 2012 01:18AM

We all need to make our own decisions on if and where we donate our hard-earned money. Since I no longer pay tithing, I no longer allow anyone to counsel me on where to donate my money based on their preferences.

Whether or not the catholics discriminate against gays or other minorities, they are a significant provider of services in my area for the homeless. I choose to give to the catholics than the mormons because at least the catholics state the money is actually going towards helping the homeless rather than to the mormons unknown and undefined destination.

I also donate to a myriad of other charitable organizations that I am sure others can find something wrong with, but the point is that I research and choose those organizations that I think do the most good where I live. I am glad I can redirect tithing money to do so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2012 01:19AM by nofear.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 02:26AM

It's nice for people to help. Sending gift cards anonymously is a good way to help. Gift cards usually can't be converted to cash. You can get them to places like Target or Walmart where they can buy both food and toys for the kids. Grocery stores near me have a kiosk with tons of gift cards to various places. I have a toy outlet store near me and when they have really good sales I like to buy toys and donate them. There is a lot a person can do without giving actual cash. Cash is a very nice thing, but you never know what the person is going to do with it.

Posted by: justcallmestupid ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 05:15AM

I've stopped giving money to TBMs. I've learned the hard way that they rather keep on starving and give the money to TSCC than use it for their own needs - and much as I like to help people, I don't want another dime of my money to go directly or indirectly to the church.

I only give gifts in kind nowadays. It feels patronizing to do so to grown-ups, but if they can't be trusted to look after themselves otherwise than it's this or nothing from me.

Date: December 31, 2012 03:25PM

"Where is the compassion of Christ for the poor, the widows, the orphans. In TSCC, you can only have those things after you've paid up."

From what I have heard in this forum, even after a full tithing is paid, the church provides little compassion to those needing help.

And I used to believe TSCC was a force for good in the world.

TSCC relies on the compassion of others to provide for those who need help....then they are abscribed (or take) credit for the financial assistance, as in the case of the charitable act of Anon4this. I bet the family even paid tithing on the funds you provided.

However, in the case of Anon4this, the compassionate act is wonderful, even though the recipient family's attribution is misplaced.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2012 03:34PM by nofear.

Posted by: Exmodude ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 03:31PM

Wow, Eloheim works in mysterious way. Imagine blessing this family via an exmo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.