Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:08AM

And I took it as a compliment. After all, it came from the best man I have ever known. Do I have male patterns of thought? I can't stand sappy women, emotional neediness turns me off. I care for and support my friends, but don't do the "you can do anything!" BS. No, you can't do anything. Neither can I. I don't think everyone is wonderful and everyone poos ice cream. I'm sharp and observant.

I DO get a kick out of going the extra mile at work, being friendly with my customers, gossiping. Hair and makeup. Being a woman is great; I get to be pretty and smart. I get to wear strappy dresses and jeans when it turns cold.

I'm proud of my "male" patterns of thought.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 02:48AM

Careful Cinnamint, or you'll have all the boys on here after you :)

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 10:01PM

Ah, that wouldn't be so bad.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 11:02AM

I've read some interesting things about gossip. Turns out, men gossip about as much as women. Gossip is a part of all social groups. It binds individuals and groups together unless it's used in a dishonest, nasty way i.e. some people are toxic. So yay gossip--kidding.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 11:08AM

There's really no "male" or "female" patterns of though. It's a social construct. Men and women feel and think in very similar manners with the exception of a few biological differences. The reason there's a perception of otherwise is because of how our society views women's and men's roles.

Subjectively speaking, I know as many emotionally needy men as well as coldly logical women. Like with most things, it boils down to individuals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 11:10AM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 11:55AM

Itzpapalotl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1) There's really no "male" or "female" patterns of
> though. It's a social construct. Men and women
> feel and think in very similar manners with the
> exception of a few biological differences. The
> reason there's a perception of otherwise is
> because of how our society views women's and men's
> roles.
>
> 2)Subjectively speaking, I know as many emotionally
> needy men as well as coldly logical women. Like
> with most things, it boils down to individuals.

1) Disagree. As the French say, "Viva la difference! And other neurological studies are showing as such.

2) Agree. Your (subjective) heart is speaking more truth than your (culturally influenced objective) mind. Applying your thoughts to a specific issue, marriage, women (the supposedly more emotional sex) are extraordinarily more objective and pragmatic regarding marriage than men, who enter first with their heart, if not their loins.

Put another way, women use their minds first, and their hearts follow. Men lead with their hearts, then find (or create?) reasons to justify that.

Date: August 22, 2014 12:00PM

*shrug*

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree from a sociological POV. Notice I said there were biological differences, (I'm pretty sure that we've read the same articles) but men and women are more similar than not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 12:01PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 11:15AM

I'm convinced that there is a difference between how men and women think because of this:

How Men's Brains Are Wired Differently than Women's
Male brains have more connections within hemispheres to optimize motor skills, whereas female brains are more connected between hemispheres to combine analytical and intuitive thinking

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-mens-brains-are-wired-differently-than-women/

Now we get into how masculine or how feminine a man or woman is, defined predominately by our general culture.
Here is where there is a lot of cross over, I think.

Date: August 22, 2014 11:34AM

One of the things I learned in my courses over the summer was how men can "shutdown" parts of their brains when relaxing whereas women's brains are active all over no matter what. This is why we can put together grocery lists during sex. :D

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 11:46AM

You may find a book called "The Female Brain" interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Female-Brain-Louann-Brizendine/dp/0767920104

I've heard that she's also written a book about the male brain, but I haven't read it.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 11:49AM

I don't like infantalizing women. It's a real turn off. I guess it was one of the things that made me a poor fit for mormonism.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:02PM

With seven billion people on the planet, I don't see the point in separating their brains into two groups except in a very general way explained by science and neurons and stuff that goes along with neurons whatever that is.

Every one of those billions has their own individual set of genes pulled from a myriad of ancestors. So you need at least a billion different comparisons to arrive at any conclusion.

I like smart, engaging, people with a sense of humor and little self-deprecation. I really don't care what each one is hiding under the cotton-poly blend that is covering everything else.

Date: August 22, 2014 12:07PM

We're so damn focused on what keeps us separate rather than what should bring us together.

Edited to add:

It's perfectly reasonable to accept the biological differences and even some generalities, but more important to NOT slip into the habit of lazy hueristics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 12:21PM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:26PM

I find the Myers Briggs designation of Thinking vs Feeling to explain what people call male and female thinking. Some men and women are more inclined to thinking based decisions and some are more inclined to emotional based thinking.

The most empathetic doctors I have seen have all been men. The absolutely worst doctor I saw was a woman.

My sister is the thinking based partner in her marriage, she is an INTJ with a PhD, my brother in law is the emotionally based one and he is a social worker and is an INFP.

I worked with one guy who was very emotionally based, another coworker thought he was gay, but he was straight as an arrow and was having an affair with a woman he worked with out of state.

I am very thinking based in my job, but emotionally based in personal decisions.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:00PM

I like your answer, and I agree.

Men are like cats and women are like dogs:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r8WNW-Y7xkc

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:30PM

A male supervisor once expressed surprise upon learning that my car was a standard transmission. "Really? I didn't know women drove stick shifts."

I replied, "Yeah, lots of women do, I guess. But why did you think only men drove them? What do you shift gears with?"

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:09PM

liked me--because I don't think like a lot of other women. I am as different as night and day from my sisters. I always knew it. My niece is the same way.

We are actually not girly girls either. Not like we don't act or look feminine or dress butch, we just aren't as into things like fingernail painting, etc. I never paint my fingernails or toenails.

My boyfriend says I'm very low maintenance and so does my ex-husband. I am very independent.

I also know a lot of women who are just like me, including my daughter, though my daughter is more girly girl than I am.

I think, like others have said, female or male, there are vast differences in each person whatever gender they are.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 04:09PM

I'm similar in that way, except that I always have my toenails painted. My goal with makeup is to look like I'm not wearing any, and there are times when I wear only tinted moisturizer, mascara, and lip gloss.

Posted by: fakemoroni ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 03:45PM

I have a "male" pattern of baldness, is that bad?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 04:19PM

They tell you have a very male pattern of thought?

Tell them, "yes I do; when should we schedule my priesthood
ordination?"

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 05:47PM

can you pee standing up? It may be we males' last claim to supremacy.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 06:36PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 08:06PM

As a teacher, I am of the opinion that brains can be trained to perform in any number of ways.

My brother received an education in engineering. He underwent thorough training in how to analyze and solve problems. Sometimes I would go to him with a personal problem, just expecting to vent with maybe a dose of sympathy in return. But his training always kicked into gear. If you bring him a problem, you must want that problem solved, and he will do his level best to solve it!

When I studied Aikido, I was taught a different way of looking at the world. I began to understand just how much we are focused on solid objects. But my Aikido training taught me instead to look at patterns of movement. Even now I can switch off my normal mode of perception in favor of noticing movement instead.

When I studied fine arts, I began to understand just how much we depend on preconceived notions when it comes to visual perception. Art training teaches you to ignore those preconceived notions in favor of what you are truly seeing. You can't begin to see the real world until you turn off the world that you *think* you are seeing.

And so on and so on and so on. I don't think of it so much as male and female -- more as how your brain has been conditioned to perceive and learn.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 08:09PM

It's a compliment to a woman to tell her she thinks like a man, but if you really want to insult a man and pi$$ him off, call him or tell him he resembles anything female?

Is ever'buddy a little bit sexist? Male good, female bad?

Of course I got no room to talk, I gots the arthritis and I can't lift my leg no more, I squat like a grrl...........

Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 08:42PM

People have always told me I think like a guy. I always thank them. Has helped me in business and being independent, not as much in relationships with groups of women who like to shop and go to lunch.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:02AM

There is no such thing as a "male way of thinking." It's nothing more than sexism wrapped up in an aura of scientific respectability. In reality, there are few anatomical differences between men's brains and women's, and none of those differences have actually been shown to produce differences in the way men and women think. The idea has been thoroughly debunked.

There is a little data from intelligence testing that shows women are actually more logical than men, and a great deal of data from real-world performance on tasks that shows women generally have sounder judgment than men. This hasn't been mapped to brain differences, though. It's more likely to be the effect of the sex hormones on a brain that is essentially the same.

Even the cherished excuse that "men are visual" is bullshit. All primates are visual in the sense that they rely heavily on sight and less on the other senses, and there is no sexual dimorphism in that trait.

Date: August 23, 2014 12:11PM

Thank you!!!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 11:18AM

Mel Gibson?

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 11:22AM

I like to break stereotypes. I have long hair and own a cat. I like to cook. Those things shouldn't even be classified as female, but you'd be surprised how many people think they are and mention it.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 12:11PM

rationalist01 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like to break stereotypes. I have long hair and
> own a cat. I like to cook. Those things
> shouldn't even be classified as female, but you'd
> be surprised how many people think they are and
> mention it.

One if my sons is a race car driver and mechanic and calls his cat: "Baby" in a tiny tiny voice! Stereotype ...gone!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2014 12:17PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 12:01PM

Any anthropologist worth their salt will tell you there are varying degrees of gender.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.