Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 09:13AM

When I lived in Hawaii the big tourist attraction on Oahu was the Polynesian Cultural Center. If you have not been there it is broken up to areas of differing Polynesian cultures, ie. Hawaiian, Tongan, Maori, etc. The people working there are a lot of time kids at the universary. When my family went there we met a girl from our ward performing as a Maori. I asked her about why she was working in that section and not the Hawaiian section. Well it seems that very few of the people there are actually working within the area that actually depicts there own heritage. Just like the church isn't it. Another lie perpetrated on the unsuspecting for their gain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Not logged in (usually Duffy) ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 10:16AM

Interesting.

DH and I are planning our first trip to Hawaii and we've both decided to leave the PCC off our list of things to do. My friends who are nevermo (and mostly don't know I was ever LDS) are surprised that I don't want to go there. My one TBM friend is shocked that I don't want to go there. Here's another good reason for us to choose other things to do.

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:56PM

Someday I'm going back to Hawaii! When I do, I won't go to the PCC again. It was OK once. Glad I saw it. I'd much rather spend that time swimming with the dolphins or snorkeling. Hell, another day at the swap meet at the stadium would be higher on my list than another visit there.

What I couldn't take was the missionary like interaction between the guides. It just felt like I was witnessing a District Leader and a Zone Leader in a pissing contest. I think some mild PTSD kicked in and it spoiled the whole visit.

Posted by: oppolo ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:06PM

I've been there and I think it's boring....it's been many years though, so maybe I would think differently now.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:49PM

The place is like Disneyland and the food is like Chuck a Rama

1/2 star

Posted by: munchkin ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:41PM

I've been twice and enjoyed both visits. It was informative and entertaining. It's quite expensive, though, so if I ever make it back to Hawaii, I don't know that I'd return to the PCC.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:44PM

We picked one big expense that we would allow ourselves when we went on our honeymoon 30 years ago (as of September 1st). I was bored spitless. I was never into that kind of stuff as a Mormon anyway. I avoided dance festivals, etc., as much as possible.

I sat in the shade (there was a drought and I was in my brand spanking new garments) while my ex walked around. I'm sure he was checking out all the scantily clad men. I have no doubt!!! I'll have to ask him.

It was a total waste of money.

The Arizona and the Punch Bowl were my favorites. I have 2 great uncles buried at the Punch Bowl.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.