Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:02PM

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2008/04/faith-and-the-oath-and-covenant-of-the-priesthood?lang=eng
“Therefore, all those who receive the priesthood, receive this oath and covenant of my Father, which he cannot break, neither can it be moved.

“But whoso breaketh this covenant after he hath received it, and altogether turneth therefrom, shall not have forgiveness of sins in this world nor in the world to come.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:08PM

Yep. It's all about instilling fear in the members. It wasn't until my studies revealed that the LDS Church simply could not be true that I finally got past fear and was ready to resign.

Fear kept me in long past when I should have left.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:11PM

I'm okay with that.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:28PM

+1

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:29PM

I remember thinking that this was harsh even as a TBM. I thought that denying the HG was the only unforgivable sin. Why isn't this one spoken of more frequently?

Posted by: korihortonhearsawho ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:15PM

Manipulative BS. This is what makes the church a cult and something more sinister than a group of like minded people just trying to do some good in the world.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:26PM

Any "church" that claims to be "Christian" and yet has this kind of language about forgiveness in its "cannon" of doctrines obviously is doing Jesus wrong.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:30PM

D'Oh!

Posted by: jefecito ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:31PM

And then after reading that quotation, Eyring, in the conference talk linked above, says:

"There are at least two reasons why you should be confident rather than discouraged with the penalties that would follow either failing to keep the oath and covenant or deciding not to accept it. Whether you accept the oath and covenant and find it too difficult or if you fail to try, the penalty is the same."

This is a talk directed at adolescents. They are unavoidably screwed whether they take the oath or not, unless they "keep the priesthood covenants", by which I guess he means the temple cult oaths. No forgiveness, EVER, if they don't accept the Melchizedek priesthood. And when do you get that? When you serve a mission.

How is a young man supposed to process this stuff. It's sickening.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:39PM

Mormonism is devoid of grace.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:52PM

Well, I will not forgive the church-- ever-- for its deception, greed, and emotional abuse. So I guess we're even.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 12:52PM by hangar18.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 12:55PM

I'm fine with it.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:30PM

crap thrown at them in Mormonism as women (unless maybe you are a GA or something). There is equal abuse for all.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:39PM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:39PM

It is a beautiful day in life when you stop letting the guilt trips of men--small minded, controlling, manipulative men--work on you.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:43PM

I was only ordained a priest. I left before becoming an Elder. I also never to the vow obedience or any of the vows in the Tempuhl. So maybe I won't get into Outer Darkness®?

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 02:29PM

Who cares about what they say. These are all men stupid laws,
not of God!

It also states in the Bible that any law that is not of God,
it's from the devil....So, the mormons are the one that's
in the outer darkness!!!

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 05:07PM

When I left mormonism, I was fortunate that my kids left with me. "Really, dad, you're not going to church anymore? Us, too?" So, we had lots more enjoyable Sundays after that. Still do.

They never made it past the Aaronic Priesthood either, nor to the temple. So for a while they thought I was a bit excessive in my overt aversion to mormonism. Over time, (from the outside), they've come to appreciate what they've missed.

Posted by: nonutard ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 06:09PM

Don't sweat it, its like telling the comic book store owner you are going to buy the whole series and stop after the first four publications....its fiction made up by a con artist.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 06:10PM by nonutard.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:47PM

I was an elder.....for 5 minutes....and then walked away. Fucking stupid church...fucking stupid, useless, powerless priesthood. So glad I no longer hold it.

Ron Burr

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 01:50PM

You can have it back for a few pieces of silver and an apology!

Date: August 22, 2014 04:43PM

Not EVER gonna fuckin' happen!!!

Ron Burr

Posted by: nonutard ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 06:12PM

ATA boy Ronny.....gonna have to come into town and buy you a beer one day. Im 15 minutes away

Date: August 22, 2014 06:20PM

Any time, pal....would like to meet ya. State & Main have some good brews on tap.

Ron Burr

Date: August 22, 2014 06:21PM

magrath?...I can see it from here (wilson Siding).

Ron Burr

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 02:38PM

I factored that into my decision.

According to the implications of mormon doctrine, if you go back far enough, there had to be a biological organism that achieved "exaltation" without having a god or savior to exalt him.

There had to, at one point, be a first god. And that first god necessarily got their on their own.

If he/she can do it, so can I, and without the ridiculous contractual requirements that Elohim & Co. are attaching to it...

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 03:05PM

Religions all seek to hook you in by proclaiming that now that you have the new knowledge, you're stuck. Muslims will actually call for your death if you defect and Christianity says that once you've heard "the good news," you'll burn in hell if you turn away. The apostate is always reviled above all others. "Denying the Holy Ghost" is held as unforgivable simply because that's the main thing you have to swallow in order to believe the rest of it. Having been ordained and sealed up and then rejecting it, I suppose the Mormons think I'll go to their low-end, cut-rate heaven.

I suppose that's better than the flames of hell or the Muslim sword.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 03:35PM by rationalist01.

Posted by: No Virigins ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 05:53PM

Are you saying I won't get my 40 virgins?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 06:21PM

would u settle for 50 Virginians?

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 06:38PM

OMG GNPE, that is very funny!

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 06:31PM

Better to use my "fire insurance" for fun than tithes to the cult.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 06:34PM

As a young convert at BYU, I believed this tripe. I felt I had no choice, but to accept the Melchizedek priesthood and magnify all my callings for life.

That was before I saw how flawed the leaders were, and how poorly they kept this covenant themselves.

Posted by: prickkicker not logged in ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 06:40PM

That's ok. I didn't ask for forgiveness anyway.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.