Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: eaglejedi ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 09:03PM

Reading the "new" handbook of God. Curious as to why God's church would actively discourage you from communicating with the leadership....

"Members of the Church are discouraged from making telephone calls or writing letters to General Authorities about doctrinal issues or personal matters. With an ever-increasing Church membership, responding personally to these inquiries presents an almost insurmountable task and would make it difficult for General Authorities to fulfill the duties for which they alone are responsible. The General Authorities love the members of the Church and do not want them to feel that they are without the support and guidance they need. However, all things need to be done with wisdom and order."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2014 09:03PM by eaglejedi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 09:16PM

Cause the "profits, seers, and revelators" don't have any answers.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 09:17PM

So, does that mean that church members are discouraged from praying to God? I'm sure he's got a lot more folks asking him for personal communication. It also seems to me that whenever Jesus was asked a question he took the time to respond. And he's the son of God. I recently wrote to a GA to ask a four-part question. What I got was a one sentence reply and none of my four related questions were answered.

This begs the question: Are the general authorities more important than God and his son Jesus? I know JS thought he was better than Jesus. My reference is Vol #6 of BH Roberts' history of the church pp 408-409 where JS is boasting about his accomplishments. I looked it up after seeing on a post on this board.

Posted by: duskus ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 09:42PM

Holland came across as a dodo bird in that bbc documentary a few years back. It has got to be draining to be asked questions that have no suitable answers.

As my mom would say...honey have you read the scriptures and prayed about it? I dont think Holland had that morning before his bbc interview

Posted by: boogles84 ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 09:41AM

The phrase "the apostles rarely speak to the media..." in the introduction to the Holland interview sums it up quite nicely.

This is something that has always annoyed me - the Q15 are supposed to be Prophets Seers & Revelators for the world, so why don't they damn well speak to the world? And not just the inane crapbag hogwash they spew out at General Conference twice a year??

Posted by: eaglejedi ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 10:32PM

"All things need to be done with wisdom and Order." Wow....sometimes i think that God's church operates more like a multilevel marketing scheme than a religion.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 10:36PM

Looking for help and asking questions. Those letters were sent back to the local idgets and the senders were reprimanded.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: August 22, 2014 10:39PM

"Are the general authorities more important than God and his son Jesus?" - Well DUH!
Please tell me you are not just figuring this out. There are 15 of them. Of course 15 gods are more important than one.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 05:55AM

To verilyverily: Yeah, actually I am just figuring this out. The indoctrination I recieved kept a tight grip on me for over sixty years. And it hurts to be shamed by those that weren't swayed by the heavy indoctrination. I admire your quick study on enlightenment, but maybe you need to consider focusing on compassion a bit more. This is a recovery forum, not an insult forum.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 09:42PM

Tom Padley - I apologize. I was in a flippant mood because of something that happened to my cousin at her ward and she would not hear anything I told her about it. She is just head over heels indoctrinated
I was indoctrinated like you. When I came to my senses, I was sickened by what LD$ is about in reality.
Sometimes I get overzealous about getting people out because I feel that the MORG hurts people and I hate seeing people get hurt.
Please accept my apology.
But the GAs di think that they are more important than ANYONE or ANYTHING on earth.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 12:06AM

Translation :

Don't bother us with your problems, we have no answers and we don't give a shit.
But do keep forking over your money to us.

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 12:09AM

BUT how some letters make it to the hands of some GA's including the very TSM OR GBH? Every now and then they would read "a letter" sent by a regular member. I always wondered about that.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 12:13AM

I think they're making those up as they go along.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 01:55AM

I read this passage today while reading another thread and thought "why ask those who (supposedly) know?" Go to the spirit and forget the body of material TMC teaches, and to some degree, even believes itself.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 02:07AM

Are there no more good administrative assistants? AAs used to handle this kind of thing routinely. You know what your boss would say and how he would say it. So you write the reply, walk over to your boss's desk, and hand him the letter and pen. He signs it absentmindedly while taking a call. This is too hard? Really?

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 07:12AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is too hard? Really?

Yes.

A good AA costs money, you see.

Posted by: Patrick ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 10:07AM

Steve Benson used to get through to the Apostles all the time. So, I'm thinking that the letters kept for conference sharing are all from family members.
I am thinking that all of us who have not yet resigned our membership should mount a campaign of sending letters to all the GA's. That should keep the SP busy for a while.
Instead of the ice bucket challenge we should mount a letter writing challenge. Say 50 letters over the next 90 days, or donate $25 to your favorite charity.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 08:25AM

. . . and then either by visit or correspondence as follows:

--twice with Dallin Oaks and Neal Maxwell;

--once with Bruce McConkie;

--a couple times with Jack Goaslind;

--four times with Spencer Kimball; and

--twice with Thomas Monson
____

Those are the ones off the top of my head, and I think that was about it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 08:27AM by steve benson.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 10:36AM

"With an ever-increasing Church membership, responding personally to these inquiries presents an almost insurmountable task and would make it difficult for General Authorities to fulfill the duties for which they alone are responsible."

Ahh.. assuming that the church is 'ever-increasing,' this is where organizations are supposed to increase their support to accommodate the demand. Instead, the church lies about its growth so it can cower like a turtle while making themselves sound important.

From this side of the fence it's so obvious now.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 10:40AM

The brethren don't want to be pinned down on answers they might need to denounce later. There are too many embarrassing responses from the recent past -- some signed by the 1st P themselves -- floating around out there. The current brethren have learned their lesson.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 23, 2014 11:05AM

It's because the less they say, the better. These guys are no match for today's philosophically and theologically educated people. It has reached the point where they will almost certainly say something that will elicit controversy because Mormon theology is so illogical. Since it's all a lie, any attempt to explain it just makes the web more complex. They used to have the advantage of preaching to an ignorant flock. This is no more the case.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 24, 2014 12:05PM

Answerless answers is about all they are good at giving... about all they know (since they don't trust, question, seek, pray, or listen for answers) besides guesses, hunches and outright bs when faced with the unknown-questions.

They aren't good at following and are no better at leading. A Mormon answer is no answer at all. Rational thinking is lost upon impotent rituals daily practiced and hollow beliefs eternally considered "true".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.