Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 09:33PM

I'm not on F'book so I haven't been challenged.

I would not do the challenge or contribute to the foundation because they do animal testing as a routine part of their research.

Only 7% of the foundation's money goes to actual research to find a cure for the disease. Ten percent goes to salaries for foundation members.

As a matter of principle, I only make charitable donations to animal or environmental causes.

I agree with all the earlier comments that the "challenge" smacks of bullying and group think. Don't like that either.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 10:03PM

Hmmm, the numbers you quote only account for 17 percent of the amount raised.

Here is what ALS says.

http://www.alsa.org/about-us/financial-information.html

Me thinks you do not know what the words bulling or group think means.

Most of the people I know actually asked to be nominated when they found out a friend was challenged.

If you do not want to do the challenge, a simple, "no thanks I contribute when and how I feel comfortable."

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 10:20PM by MJ.

Date: August 26, 2014 06:32AM

I'm pretty confident I used both those terms correctly.

I believe the numbers I quoted were from 2012. I specifically chose to give only the research and administrative salaries figures only--for comparison.

2013 research allocation is still only 28% according to their website. Which it a pretty pathetic number considering the goal is to find a cure.

Although you sound completely on board with this stunt, I'm not going to challenge you to take it and send in $100. I'm not into bullying.

I think ALS is a terrible disease. I hope they find a cure for it one day.

Date: August 26, 2014 08:20AM

I provided evidence of the numbers. Giving only administrative and research numbers is intellectually dishonest. It presents a stilted view. The numbers when looked at show that 21% of the funds raised to to administrative stuff (normal is 25%) 79% goes for stuff that benefits the ALS community, though not just research.

It is too bad that you thing that only research is important and forget about things like giving care and support. You know the COMPASSIONATE side of humanity. You are discounting the compassionate, caring aspects for those currently afflicted with ALS, No surprise there.

No, the goal is not just to find a cure and uncompassionately ignore those suffering from the disease, as you seemingly would have it.

And as I said, the ADULT way to handle a challenge someone gives you is to say "No thanks". Nether challenging a person to a game of pool or challenging someone to do the ice bucket challenge is "bullying".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 08:38AM by MJ.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 07:57PM

I think it's up to the individual what they want their money to support, MJ. The ALS association takes a balanced approach, funding education, patient support, and research. If you want a more research-oriented charity, Project ALS would be a good choice. The 21% that goes to administration and fundraising for the ALS Association doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I believe that 8/9 dollars raised for Project ALS goes to research, but don't quote me on that. That charity does make very good use of donations.

Date: August 26, 2014 08:19PM

I am objecting to the intellectually dishonest way the numbers were presented in order to attack the ALS. It was onlinemoniker that thinks it should be or is research only. I am and always have been in favor of a more balanced approach. onlinemoiker is the one that does not want to look at the full of what the ALS does before passing judgment.

I also made it clear that it was a person's choice when I said that if a person gets challenge a simple "no thanks" was all that was needed to turn down the challenge.

You may want to review the discussion, Summer.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 08:42PM by MJ.

Posted by: fenodyree ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 04:19AM

Alfie Boe challenged the Mo-Tab - do you think they'll do it?

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 09:11AM

Even the tiny tots are getting in on the act.

This little kiddie from middle England (the accent gives her away) nominated her friends but the video is classic and involves some Anglo Saxon language (beware).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1460556877547501&set=vb.100007796076807&type=2&theater

Even though the kiddie has a potty mouth - it is still hilarious.

Briggy

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 09:44AM

Some acquaintances of mine have taken the challenge. I've told one, who's about to, that I would not take the challenge and that I decide to which charity or charities my money goes.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 09:46AM

I don't know if the thrill about ALS....
It's about getting a cold bucket of water in this heat...

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 11:09AM

7% goes to research, 10% goes towards salaries, where is the other 83% going?

Date: August 26, 2014 07:42PM

Here is the breakout for for year ending Jan 31 2014

Research 28%
Patient and community services 19%
Public and professional education 32%
Fundraiser 14%
Administration 7%

A very respectable showing for a non-prophet.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 12:10PM

It's all a marketing ploy. When people hear the words: Ice Bucket Challenge, they will think: ALS.
It's just a goofy way to raise awareness. The high numbers of donations are probably not from a large number of Average Joes and Janes, it's from millionaires, billionaires, etc. that need a tax deduction and gave the money without the ice bucket nonsense. Just my little analysis!

Posted by: mom ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 09:15PM

I'm more of a do a craft for hours to sell for a $1 type of fundraiser LOL but how is it goofy, people seem to be into it. FB challenges are not my thing but it is raising awareness.

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 01:05PM

For a long time I thought I was alone on this issue!

ALS is a terrible, painful decease...My father in-law (God bless his soul) was diagnosed in 2002, and died 8 years later. We watched his health deteriorate from weakness of his muscles started with one hand to the other. Later, his arms and then legs until he can no longer walk or do anything for himself. The saddest part was when swallowing became a big issue and then the breathing. I would not wish this to my very least favorite person!

Anyhow, ice bucket challenge is maybe for good intentions, but I can’t get past the peer pressure. I also have to be extra careful when celebrities/rich and famous are involved!
Call me anti, I don't care. I cannot bring myself to support it. But I'm glad that there are some people feel the same way I do.....So, thank you!!!

Date: August 26, 2014 07:47PM

No more peer pressure than challenging someone to a game of pool with a far greater positive impact.

Washington, D.C. (August 26, 2014) — As of Tuesday, August 26, The ALS Association has received $88.5 million in donations compared to $2.6 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 26).

Whine about peer non existent pressure and give up over 85 million dollars, yeah that's a fine tribute to those you loved that suffered so much.

You may also think about your wife, ALS is genetic.

Date: August 26, 2014 08:37PM

You can take that dollar and data numbers with you, I'm not that impress!!!

Plus assuming that I have a wife...LOL

Date: August 26, 2014 08:44PM

"My father in-law" implies a wife or husband. But it is clear you don't care about any of your relatives that may have inherited the gene

Yeah, I know, there are many people here and in the morg that maintain their faith in defiance of facts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 08:49PM by MJ.

Date: August 26, 2014 08:55PM

"But it is clear you don't care about any of your relatives that may have inherited the gene"...

Your assumptions are getting very annoying....Sell your product to someone else.... In my eyes they are bad, so time to move on!!!SHOO

Date: August 26, 2014 08:59PM

Your objection to raising millions to help them is obvious in it's callousness.

There is no real peer pressure. No more than challenging someone to a game of pool.,

But do attack the raising of 85 million that may save the lives of people you love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 09:00PM by MJ.

Date: August 26, 2014 09:10PM

raising millions.........yup
no real peer pressure....yup

raising of 85 million....yup
No more than challenging someone to a game of pool...yup

Anything else????still not buying it!

Sorry, try to sell it to someone else. Don't waste your time on me!!!

By the way, you don't know anything about me, period...So stop assuming!!!

Date: August 26, 2014 09:14PM

It is not MY loved ones at risk. Thumb your nose at raising money to save them. The lives lost may include one of your loved ones.

But yeah I get it. Trying to convert you to reality is as bad as trying to convert a TBM about the chruch. Keep your faith.

Date: August 26, 2014 08:32PM

You're welcome.

Yeah, "peer pressure" is a good term too.

Date: August 26, 2014 08:48PM

All one needs to do with a challenge, any challenge, is to say "no thanks".

"I challenge you to a game of pool." Adult response: "No thanks." Immature response "peer pressure."

"I challenge you a foot race." Adult response: "No thanks." Immature response "peer pressure."

"I challenge you to walk in the AIDS walk "Adult response: "No thanks." Immature response "peer pressure."

"I challenge you to do a fundraiser activity "Adult response: "No thanks." Immature response "peer pressure."

"I challenge you to do a ice bucket challenge "Adult response: "No thanks." Immature response "peer pressure."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 08:52PM by MJ.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 05:15PM

... lol funny stuff

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 08:29PM

I have been nominated, but I'm ignoring it. Not because I am against it, or anything like that...I think it is great that so many people are getting excited about charity, and I am glad that ALS is getting the attention it needs...I just don't think you should have to be nominated to give to charity. I hope the money given to the ALS foundation helps make a huge dent in finding a cure, it just isn't one of the charities I give to. I give as often as I can to local groups that help the poor, food banks, Alzheimer's Association, and PBS/NPR. I think ALS is a great cause, but I also think that a video putting someone on the spot to give money isn't the best way to give. Make a fun video (Lord knows that I've laughed at quite a few), but then give to the charity that you feel strongest about. Not trying to rain on anyone's parade - I think it is a great thing, just not something I plan on taking part in.

Posted by: Water World ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 08:56PM

We have a water shortage worldwide with severe depletion of this essential resource. How many millions of gallons have been wasted so far?

----------

Unfortunately, humans have proved to be inefficient water users. (The average hamburger takes 2,400 liters, or 630 gallons, of water to produce, and many water-intensive crops, such as cotton, are grown in arid regions.)

According to the United Nations, water use has grown at more than twice the rate of population increase in the last century. By 2025, an estimated 1.8 billion people will live in areas plagued by water scarcity, with two-thirds of the world's population living in water-stressed regions as a result of use, growth, and climate change.

http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/freshwater/freshwater-crisis/

Date: August 26, 2014 09:03PM

OMG, that is like my mom saying "there are starving people in Africa", to get me to eat my food.

If you want to bitch about wasted water bitch about all the water used to water lawns, fill swimming pools, fountains, washing cars, etc.. all of which are more wasteful that the ice-bucket challenge.

Date: August 26, 2014 09:10PM

nt

Posted by: Water World ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 09:58PM

I advocate the sand bucket challenge instead. Compost would be another alternative. I guess cow dung would work. ;)

-----------

I have a daughter in the Peace Corps working in areas of water shortage. It is a real problem.

I also had a brother-in-law that died from ALS. It is a real problem too.

Date: August 26, 2014 10:00PM

Got it.

Date: August 26, 2014 08:56PM

My mom's fiance died from ALS. I'm not into FB challenges but I'm glad there is more awareness. I wish some money was going to families with the disease perhaps to adapt their homes or provide respite care or buy a van or the rent for a year.
I have seen a number of people do the challenge for a different charity or cause that is close to them, more power to them.

Date: August 26, 2014 09:06PM

The ice bucket challenge has raised over 85 million (compared to something like 3 million during the same period last year). And yes, a good chunk of that is going to family services to support the ALS person and there families.

Date: August 26, 2014 09:07PM

nt

Posted by: girlreclaimed ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 09:46PM

The numbers are balanced in terms of accountability. I work for a nonprofit and low admin costs is important to our donors.

Charitable giving is a great thing- it's even more amazing while done in the spirit of helping others. Although mindful the ALS challenge has brought visibility/funding to this dreadful disease, I lose enthusiasm watching the masses post videos of themselves doing right by others.

Then again, Facebook has always been lost on me.

Date: August 26, 2014 09:52PM

I may have taken this wrong, but "I lose enthusiasm watching the masses post videos of themselves doing right by others." Funny, I have my "faith" in humanity restored when people show themselves doing right by other. The ALS challenge has energized me and given me hope.

It is all the negative crap that people post on FB that gets me down. The meany "People of Walmart" posts I have seen gets me down. The ALS change is a refreshing change.

I have also worked for non-prophets (as a volunteer) for decades. I know that many try all sort of Gimmicks to raise money. I commend the ALS for finding a gimmick that has worked so well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 09:54PM by MJ.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 09:57PM

I haven't done the ice bucket deal...yet...but I just donated $200 to the ALS Society of Alberta. My dear friend Kerwin Kotkas died in Providence, Utah almost 2 years ago after suffering with MS for 26 years. I loved him like a little brother and miss him. ALS and MS are true evil. Let's fight THEM!!!

Ron Burr

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 09:58PM

The mind boggles at what research might have been possible with the billions the church invested in their fucking mall!!!!!

Ron Burr

Date: August 26, 2014 09:59PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.