Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: janeeliot ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 09:45PM

The LDS Church or RfM?

As always, please support your thesis.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 10:02PM

Misogynic dudes are everywhere no matter what group you're referring to. I don't have statistics to back this up, just many years of observation. It's a cultural thing that gets passed down from generation to generation. My dad was certainly one. I try hard not to be. Sometimes guys face a no-win question like the one you're asking. Whatever is said by a man will be interpreted as misogynistic.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 10:13PM

I think this is in reference to the thread where a poster was advised to refuse to allow the HTs to visit even though his wife and kids are TBM.To me that is mysgynistic,even though I am no fan of HTs. In my world men do not get to decide unilaterally who their wives can invite in.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 10:31PM

It would have been nice if she had bothered to explain that. And no, the man doesn't get to unilaterally decide who his partner can invite over.

And how come nobody in this thread can spell mysogynistic? It's not the most graceful word in the English language, but when it is the topic at hand, ....

Date: August 25, 2014 10:41PM

I left the o out because I am on my phone and it is hard to type. So sorry

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 10:44PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyny

I guess both of you got it wrong and janeeliot was almost right.

Date: August 25, 2014 11:28PM

Well,I spelled it the same way as the poster who criticized my spelling except for the typo.I spell better than I type,especially on the phone.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 10:47PM

As long as we're talking misogyny let's not forget its antonym, misandry. (though it doesn't seem to be discussed as much as misogyny)

Posted by: jefecito ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 11:00PM

The antonym of misogyny is philogyny. Just sayin...

Date: August 25, 2014 11:29PM

I think misandry qualifies along with philogyny as an antonym IMHO.

misogyny = hatred of women
misandry = hatred of men

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/misogyny
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misandry

Date: August 25, 2014 11:40PM

My dictionary says it's spelled misogynistic. What dictionary are you using?

Date: August 25, 2014 11:45PM

It's our faulty Y chromosome. Blame God who, according to Mormonism, also has a Y chromosome.

Date: August 25, 2014 11:50PM

Claiming males are faulty by design is misandry. Which, in our current society has become acceptable for some reason.

Date: August 26, 2014 12:08AM

Damn, I never get anything right. Are you sure my Y chromosome isn't faulty? Maybe I'm having a senior moment. Yeah, that's what I'm going with. Old people can get away with making mistakes, because we're old. What kind of 'ogy' would that be?

Date: August 26, 2014 12:17AM

Uh, yeah, senior moment, that's the ticket! (in my best Jon Lovitz voice) lol Sadly I'm in the same boat. Senior moments galore, and I'm not even that old yet!

Posted by: dodgeawrench ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 11:59PM

I posted about HT'ers and no I wasn't angry with my wife, I was angry at the process. I was analyzing the HT program and came to the realization that this program, (one that the church harps on constantly and pushes member to go into the homes of less actives, exmo, and part member families) is extremely intrusive. This is the first time in my life I that I saw it through this type of lense. I honestly don't blame my wife, I don't blame the HT'ers, I blame the church and their lack of respect to the many that don't believe. The many that would like the church to respect boundaries. Why am I unable to truly have a voice in my home? Because the church teaches it's members to fear and even avoid any and all that have different belief systems. The church teaches it's members that those who believe differently ARE in Satans grasp. The church preaches safety in the tribe and doesn't support individualism. This is why I am angry and frustrated. My wife and HT'ers are only doing what they have been taught (brainwashed) their entire lives.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 12:21AM

dodgeawrench, you have been completely misrepresented and your words (in the OP) twisted by those who feel that everyone with a p.e.n.i.s. is a wife-beating, oppressive jerk, who does nothing but walk all over women.

Just sayin'.

Date: August 26, 2014 01:02AM

I understood your post. You.were frustrated and maybe looking for advice. My problem was with those who thought you should forbid your wife to see the HTs,not with you.This is for the OP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 01:03AM by bona dea.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 10:39PM

I'm quite sorry that RFM doesn't meet your high standard. I'm wondering if your disapproval of everyone who doesn't think what you think is getting in the way of your perception of reality.

Date: August 25, 2014 11:37PM

Yes, it apparently is.

Posted by: Arwen ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 10:44PM

haha, Bro of Jerry...i like the misspelling comment.

Tom, that was totally misogynistic. hehe. And, I totally agree with your comment.

Bona, totally agree. In a marriage, no one has the right to dominate/force their views on someone else. There has to be respect both ways.

To the question from the OP, I feel like it's written within the code of the church, the doctrine, the roles of men & women. So, there is an imaginary higher power holding people to these things against their better judgement, in many cases. It doesn't mean every TBM is misogynistic, but the church/gospel itself - extremely.

Out in the world, in our society, it's still common. It's a cultural thing to some extent that I feel is changing as the younger generation moves their way up. But I feel like - for me, at least - that I don't have to put up with it like i felt like I had to in the LDS church. My husband is one of the most fair people I know, so luckily it's not an issue for me within my family, but with other men, I feel more free to reject it if they treat me that way, whereas in the Mormon church I didn't. I felt like I had to figure out how to justify it and accept it. It really did a number on me. I felt kept in a very tiny box in the Lds church. I was brainwashed to accept it and be happy with it, but there was always a part that wondered what it was like on the outside.

So, for me, the church is more misogynistic because of the freedom I feel away from it. I feel allowed to truly be me now and not limited because of the church's role that they had for me. Doesn't mean it's not an issue outside the church, just means I don't have to comply now. So, I vote LDS church is FAR MORE misogynistic. (Unless you're comparing to Christians as a whole, then I feel like there are plenty that are equally so.)

Date: August 25, 2014 11:54PM

The Mormon church is based upon misogyny. In the endowment ceremony Eve is outnumbered by four to one, if you include Lucifer. And she took the second hardest hit for doing the logical thing. Lucifer got banished. Eve had to go through childbirth and obey Adam. The game was fixed from the start against women.

Posted by: GenY ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 10:52PM

People here love to cry misogynist at the slightest criticism of the female sex.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 11:47PM

Criticism of the female sex what? Organ?

Date: August 25, 2014 11:53PM

And I would say they are just as Misandrous as many of those that they accuse of be Misogynist.

Can't we all just get along?

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 25, 2014 11:38PM

I love hot chicks!

Date: August 25, 2014 11:45PM

If you leave those poor chicks under the heat lamp, they'll not not just be hot, they'll roast! lol

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )

Nor do I see them promote that.

While a few posters on a handful of threads might have some issues with women, I really don't see the evidence that it is systemic within the structure of this board. Especially given the range of feminists who post on the board frequently.

I don't see that in Mormonism.

I have however seen in the past, the OP make broad accusations and bash this entire community.

I have seen her also label anyone who disagrees with her disparaging terms without any evidence to those terms.

What's interesting now is this passive aggressive post implying that RfM is sexist. Once again, because of a few posters on a few threads.

Date: August 26, 2014 12:22AM

An excellent observation. Spot on, Raptor.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )

...about gender heuristics as they did to TSCC.

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: August 26, 2014 12:23AM

I get tired of silly games like the one Jane would like us to take part in. Who is more this and who is more that doesn't solve anything. Calling out specific examples of misogyny or sexism and arguing the point is more productive.

Or perhaps, most important of all, you should get yourself into therapy to work on your rage and issues of trust, Jane. It's working very well for me.

There is misogyny and sexism found on the board, but it is not representative of the forum as a whole, whereas there is systemic, demonstrable exploitation and depowerment of women within the LDS faith.

Please stop this kind of hyperbolic nonsense. It's great that you want to champion women's causes, but demanding folks point fingers all around fixes nothing. It's just one great big circle jerk.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.