Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 05:04AM

Many people look at Mormonism from the outside and believe they're seeing a happy community. Little do they know that a failure to simulate happiness within the community is a sin. Members must be happy, or they might become wicked. No, that couldn't be.

So if you're looking for happy Mormons, you'll find them. They've been told to be happy. Failure to comply is a crime against God. Find 'em happy dammit, cause happy is what they are.

I'm reminded, in the secular world, of Chuck E Cheese's Pizza. Here's a place where everything is so fucked up and crappy that you would be considered a fool for liking it. The pizza is garbage, cardboard coated with tomato paste. The ambiance is ghetto--screaming and running and bruises.

If you put a steeple over Chuck E Cheese, it's still a crap hole. Likewise the steeple over Mormon churches signifies nothing. Ripped pieces of Wonderbread and a cup of tap water don't mean a thing.

A little part of it in everyone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Scott.T ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 09:06AM

just a thought .... I recently saw a documentary about the founder of Chuck-e-Cheeses. I don't remember the name right now, but he was a computer programmer and one of the head guys with Atari and various game design companies and such. When revenues dropped from putting arcade games in actual arcades in malls and such as the focus turned to home PC games they came up with the idea of Chuck-e-Cheeses. They were very open and admitted that it was a pizza place founded by computer engineers who knew nothing about pizza but that wasn't the purpose anyways since from conception it was and is all about just getting kids to play the games.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 09:37AM

Thats nice and a good reason for the way it started out. That's okay for the first six months. But no improvement since then? Think how much more they could be if they actually had good pizza and ambiance. Same goes with the church.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 11:21AM

In most other states, Chucky Cheese sells pitchers of beer. Makes the crappy pizza & amped up kids somewhat tolerable.

Posted by: mo larkey ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 11:18AM

Scott.T Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> just a thought .... I recently saw a documentary
> about the founder of Chuck-e-Cheeses. I don't
> remember the name right now, but he was a computer
> programmer and one of the head guys with Atari and
> various game design companies and such.

Surprise Surprise...
Nolan Bushnell of Utah is the of the founder Chuck E Cheese... and is LDS..wow who would of thought?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_Bushnell

"Bushnell was raised in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but is no longer an active member."

-----

I loved your post Don- spot on

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 11:42AM

Gees, that explains why there's been no improvement there!

Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 11:45AM

Just like a Mormon ward-house, it smells like dirty diapers and rancid broccoli, and you're sure to catch some sort of weird skin disease just from walking in the door.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: March 14, 2011 11:50AM

Wow I never would have compared TSCC to CC.
But I tolerated both at times.
Now my grand daughters are older so CC is history.

And TSCC is just a part of my history. But I continue to recover from the church.

K

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 02:43AM

but I think you're the coolest.

Ok, I do know why. It's because you are the coolest.

Liked the post.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 03:58AM

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I did go out on a limb with a crazy metaphor, but then, I am less than sane. I just got a short story about my experiences in a mental hospital published in a British Magazine called Firstwriter. If anyone would like a free copy of the story, just give me your email.

Posted by: Flecher ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 07:46PM

I might of lingered longer in the Church if they had "take out" Sacrament.
I'd check the bag before I drove off to make sure they gave me bread.

Posted by: pkdfan2 ( )
Date: March 15, 2011 08:04PM

pkdfan2@yahoo.com

Thank you Don Bagley!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.