Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 08:44PM

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/final-ruling-part-utah-polygamy-ban-25153502

My oh my! And the attorney for the family, Jonathan Turley, says he's going to take this all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court if he has to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 08:53PM

If the Supreme Court strikes it down, I wonder if a new "revelation" will come down from heaven, to reinstate polygamy on earth?

Lord knows the Church is bleeding mainstream members....maybe if they reinstate polygamy, they can fill empty pews and collect tithing from those people they now deny membership to. And with all of these multi-wife households, they're will be plenty of womanpower to get those bathrooms squeaky-clean!

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 08:58PM

Exactly my thoughts too. Now that the US is so freedom of religion friendly there's no reason not to reinstate it. What would JS do?

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 01:41PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 09:02PM

Karma BITES the LDS Corp in the BeHind!

Posted by: Chhicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 09:05PM

I've often wondered about that--if polygamy becomes a non-issue in the US, is the unerrant Word of God in D&C 132 (which unlike the Manifesto, was a direct revelation to JS) going to be reinstated? After all, plurality of wives is the ONLY way to the top of Amway....errr....LDS heaven!

Date: August 29, 2014 05:26PM

I've thought about that and my guess is no, at least not in the short term. The reason? The Mormon leadership is earning a lot of money with its businesses, especially from those outside of the Mormon church. If the current LDS leadership were to publicly reinstate polygamy, the amount of money earned by their businesses located outside of Utah and the Mormon corridor would decrease drastically.

Posted by: Arwen ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 09:27PM

ewww...

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 27, 2014 10:34PM

Posted by: peiriannydd ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 10:35AM

This just means "the World" is getting more righteous. It must be the influence of the Lord. He is preparing the world for his coming.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 11:24AM

<<Utah's law forbidding cohabitation>>

So does that mean it was illegal for even unmarried monogamous people to cohabitate?

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 01:29PM

Utah recognizes common law marriage.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 01:46PM

Okay, but there is or was a law forbidding cohabitation. how do those two jibe?

Date: August 28, 2014 02:53PM

You know, from your past sentence here, that consistency and Utah Law are two separate equations that often don't overlap.

And I note that Utah Common Law doesn't apply if one partner says they "weren't married."

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 02:06PM

It is my thinking that with the way the secular courts have been ruling that it would be surprising if they disallowed polygamy. Seeing as how those who oppose polygamy do so basically for religious reasons then the courts must, in their secular PC manner, allow such behavior to be legal. Indeed do they not exist to primarily piss off the religious folk.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 02:27PM

The U.S. IS a secular nation, why the need to point out that their courts are (or are supposed to be) secular?

Date: August 29, 2014 05:36PM

Actually, the U.S. is not as secular as many (including yours truly) would like to think. For one thing, much of our legal code is based on Christian values. True, many states within the past 50 years or so have liberalized laws against cohabitation, but those laws came primarily from the Christian Bible. For another, Christianity is deeply embedded in U.S. culture. How many of you are aware that in Japan, for example, nobody says "Bless you," when you sneeze (I know this because my younger brother spent two weeks there during the last decade), but that comment, based very much on religious beliefs and traditions, is still widely heard in the U.S.

Date: August 28, 2014 02:57PM

That's a non-issue for many of us who were secularists back when the younger sorts were were still learning to break up the Wonder bread.

Polygamy is inherently abusive to women and children, and it affords them no protection under the law (or are you proposing not only should it be de-criminalized, but permitted the way same-sex marriage is with all participants afforded the rights and privileges accorded married individuals? I don't see that happening, and if that's a "religious issue" for me, have it your way. To me, it's a human issue).

Study up on the Warren Jeffs trial and just how epidemic child sexual abuse is in all of the polygamist sects. If you look at that one objectively, it's a non-issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2014 02:59PM by SL Cabbie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.