Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kyndalie ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 09:39AM

I'm a newly disaffected member.

I was reading about Fanny on wikipedia. Turns out her uncle is my direct ancestor. Just makes it all hit even more closely to home. I'm disgusted by it all. My family has been lied to for too many generations. Glad to finally know the truth. My poor cousin fanny.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 11:11AM

Wasn't she the first notch on Joe's spiritual bedpost? Not including Emma, with whom Joe eloped when Daddy Hale was out of town.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 11:16AM

Fanny was a ward of Joseph and Emma Smith, meaning that she was living under their protection in the same manner that a daughter would. I believe she worked as a maid in the household. The fact that Joseph took advantage of her under these cirucmstances is despicable. Fanny was looking to him for protection.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 11:29AM

As close as one can get to incest on the part of Horny Joe! Boner.

Posted by: Hugh ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 01:14PM

Well she had a bio dad and mom, and brothers. I don't think she was there to be an adopted daughter or psuedo-foster child. I beleive 16-year old Fanny was there to be a mind to Emma (for money). The reason Joe got the BOM's beat out of him is because Fanny's brothers (and dad?) got wind of what had been happening.

This would be stat rape today.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 04:33PM

"The reason Joe got the BOM's beat out of him is because Fanny's brothers (and dad?) got wind of what had been happening."

You're confusing Fanny with Nancy Marinda Johnson, whose brothers were reportedly among Smith's and Rigdon's attackers in the February 1832 incident where they were dragged outdoors and beaten and tarred.

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 12:25PM

That's interesting. How do you know you're related and do you have any interesting family history knowledge?

Please share! :)

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 01:12PM

Her sons asked her if the Joseph Smith story was true and she told them to mind their own business. Sort of answering yes in those days.

Google for Fanny Alger personal history .

Posted by: The 1st FreeAtLast ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 01:32PM

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/SP82-WTV

Importantly, when JS made Fanny Alger his plural wife Ohio laws stipulated that bigamy was a crime. Section 7 of the Ohio Session Laws (on p. 136) said: “That if any married person, having a husband or wife living, shall marry any other person; every person so offending shall be deemed guilty of a high misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned in the penitentiary, and kept at hard labor, not exceeding seven nor less than three years.” (Ref. http://books.google.com/books?id=7J04AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA136&dq=That+if+any+married+person )

If you haven't read Chpt. 1 of historian Todd Compton's ground-breaking book, "In Sacred Loneliness: The Plural Wives of Joseph Smith," I suggest you do so (the first chapter is about Fanny). The publisher's webpage is http://signaturebooks.com/2010/02/in-sacred-loneliness-the-plural-wives-of-joseph-smith/

Also, info. is at http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech9a.htm

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 01:35PM

I don't think there is any credible evidence that they were ever married. Mormons a generation or so later created the Fanny marriage out of whole cloth to make Horny Joe look better.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 01:34PM

Ooh yikes!, What a story. Hope you are doing well. Great you saw the light and shared this story. Please share more. Welcome!

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 01:42PM

OP. Yes, it is time to break ranks with your family history and aspire towards free thought. Put the "meaning" into living a life here, now, and in the present and then you will find the meaning of life. It's you.

Posted by: duskus ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 01:48PM

I bet Fanny Algers was hot, i mean at least according to the times what with the sleaves to the wrists, collar to the neck and skirt to the ankles. What a sexy time to be a morgbot

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 02:01PM

I doubt Fanny was the first young girl he slept with, just the first widely known about and labeled a "wife."

It was a huge scandal at the time. I feel sorry for her and the many other girls he went after.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 02:45PM

If it makes you feel any better, I had an inactive friend who believed she was a staunch Mormon raised in a proper Mormon home. She was only inactive because she'd married outside the church and her work kept her too busy to go to church very often.

She learned more church history and was completely mystified as to why her family ever joined the church.
She read the D & C 132 and said "That was written by a man, not God."

But what really put the monkey wrench in the engine for her was finding out BY had put out a "hit" on Governor Boggs!

He was her great great great Uncle! She is a direct descendant from his family.

She thought very little of a church that would try to assassinate a member of her family.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 03:01PM

Hugh wrote:

> The reason Joe got the BOM's beat out of him is because Fanny's brothers (and dad?) got wind of what had been happening.

I think you are confusing Fanny with the Johnson girl, whose brothers got together a mob and tarred and feathered Joe.

Mormonobserver wrote:

>But what really put the monkey wrench in the engine for her was finding out BY had put out a "hit" on Governor Boggs!

It was Joseph Smith, not BY, who sent his hit man to waste the Governor.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: August 28, 2014 03:14PM

Thank you RPackham, you're right.

Because Porter Rockwell was a devoted friend/fan of Joseph.

Either way, my friend was appalled. She'd grown up with family references to Governor Boggs and never knew that the injury he'd survived was from the leadership of the Church she'd grown up in!

The church is it's own best "anti" Mormon

Posted by: Fanny Alger relative ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 12:50PM

kyndalie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a newly disaffected member.
>
> I was reading about Fanny on wikipedia. Turns out
> her uncle is my direct ancestor. Just makes it all
> hit even more closely to home. I'm disgusted by it
> all. My family has been lied to for too many
> generations. Glad to finally know the truth. My
> poor cousin fanny.

I have an interesting side note bit of family history.

I am related to Fanny in that my great great great grandfather John was her younger brother by three years. My maternal grandma whose maiden name is Alger, told a story about her grandfather, (Samuel, who is John Alger's son) was a lost boy put out by his father John at a very young age, (there is debate as to whether Samuel was 9 or 11 when he was on his own.) John Alger was a polygamist. His parents, (also Fanny's parent) Samuel and Clarissa where some of the first converts to the Mormon Church. I grew up in Utah and am not a Mormon as my grandmother and everyone in my family distanced themselves from the Mormon church based on the many hypocrisies.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 03:42PM

thank you for sharing that story, I don't think many people know about John and Samuel. so cruel.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 06:51PM

What a sad story. The phenomenon of the "lost boys" is a sad legacy of the Mormon church.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 06:47PM

Joe's polygamy had to start SOME where.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.