Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 03:20AM

My lifelong dearest friend is severely afflicted with multiple sclerosis. As the years have gone by, she has been reasonably good-natured about the loss of mobility, energy, and so on.

Now the nasty disease is over-running her brain and her cognitive function is shutting her down. Her son (the one I held a baby shower for when he was expected!) asked me a little while ago to get our bags packed and hit the road soon if we want to be recognized and say our final good-byes.

This whole business sucks but I'll have time to cry about it later. For now, it's about us and the wonderful connection we've had for nearly 54 years.

It will be about a thousand miles, but my DH and I can do it.

For those who still believe in prayer, we would appreciate them. Positive thoughts and vibes and gratitude for beautiful, long-lasting friendships like ours would be great, too.

Thank you, guys - you are my family away from family. Thank you, all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 07:06AM

Sending hugs your way. You are a good friend and they come around too seldom in life.

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 08:35AM

My sympathies to you and your friend. MS is a terrible disease. It took my sister when she was just 48. Spend some quality time and my "hugs" to you both.

Carol

Posted by: Grits ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 08:40AM

Prayers of Thanksgiving for your enduring friendship. This fall I will get to spend a week with friends I have had for 53, 50, 45 years. We are fortunate to all be healthy. Safe travels to you and I hope you get good quality time to share.

While I think technology is a wonderful thing and I love keeping up with family and friends by facebook, email, etc, it is really the face to face interaction all those years that cements the relationships.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 10:35AM

You and your friend are in my thoughts. May your visit be a sweet one that you will be able to look back upon with more joy than sorrow.

Posted by: gladtobeme ( )
Date: April 24, 2013 11:05AM

I hope you have a wonderful visit that you can always look back on with love when you think of your friend.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 09:05PM

This was probably one of the most difficult thigs I've ever had to deal with.

The night we arrived, my poor friend was barely coherent, but shr recognized me. Mentally, she was a mess - rambling all over the place. She was on IV's.

The following day she was transferred from the hospital to a Skilled Nursing Facility. (Many of the people on staff are Filipino, and understanding them is a challenge, but they all seemed very nice.) The improvement in my friend's cognitive processes was incredible. She made sense and had far more facial expression and animation.

The day after that, I arranged for us two to just have a couple of hours of "alone time," and I was astonished at the progress she had made. Physically, she is still very feeble, so going home is problematic - but mentally, I'd say she is about 98% back to normal. Amazing.

Now the HUGE question is whether or not she will be able to return home. She lives alone and cannot really take care of her needs without a lot of supportive help. If this can be arranged, so she can remain in her own little nest for a while but have the "system" making sure that she has food, hydration, physical therapy, etc, that would be so ideal. But we have to wait and see on that one.

We are home, safe but exhausted. I wanted to thank everyone for your positive thoughts.

My friend's son and I had the great pleasure of throwing out a God-Peddler looking for fresh meat. My friend has been an atheist all her life and so is her son. So throwing out this "Holy Joe" was a tremendous lot of fun for her son and me.

Posted by: alphonso ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 09:26PM

Sorry for the struggle your friend, her family, and you are going through. These times are especially trying.

I have a friend in the process of dying now, although he may last for another 6 months or more, but he's certainly moving toward it.

My father had a co-worker who passed due to MS and it was a difficult struggle.

My BIL also was diagnosed 6 or so years ago with MS but is doing fine. I think of him and my sister and their children.

Hope you find peace.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 02, 2013 10:06PM

Yes, prayers for you and your friend. Just be there for her and let her do the talking. Share the memories with her if she cares to talk a little. Keep it all in the happy times category. I guess Annette F. final months were just very sad and hard to witness. If it is like that you will need all the good thoughts and prayers we can send.

I did not get to see my best college friend right before she passed. I had been in an auto accident in July '03....had planned to go with friends to see her in Aug. but was still bedridden.....needed two more wks. and I would have gone....then school began and I am a teacher. She died in Sept. But I did talk to her on the phone and it meant so much. Her hubby did an amazing thing at her funeral. Apologized for his infidelity. It was so odd in the room of 200 or so. My friend would have said "What the H___are you doing?" and then laughed her head off. She could be so sarcastic....and she had a great sense of humor.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 05:46AM

Please remember also to take care of yourself love.

Briggy

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 08:20AM

Its Truely a Blessing to have had a long gaulity freindship like that. Best Blessings and possitive thoughts to you & your friend. May good both have possitive'Good Clear memories w/ea other. (((HUGS)))) to all!

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 10:31AM

Positive vibes being sent.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: May 03, 2013 05:31PM

Some more good vibes from my neck of the woods as well. Safe travels and enjoy the visit. Tell lots of old stories even if your friend isnt able to acknowledge them. It seems old memories are more vivid and easily remembered than recent memories for many of us.

She will appreciate all the good times you had once again.

God bless.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.