Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:16AM

She went on and on about the gggrandfather mentioned in the same article, but absolutely silent about the slave that was given as tithing to the church. I thought that was interesting and I hope she was a little embarrassed by that little tidbit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:23AM

I haven't heard this story. A tithed slave? I suppose if I search this site I will find it.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:27AM

Just put this up today:

Sep 7,1859 - Salt Lake City clerk records sale of twenty six year old "negro boy" for $800 to William H. Hooper. Until federal law ends slavery in U.S. Territories in 1862, some African-American slaves are paid as tithing, bought, sold and otherwise treated as chattel in Utah.

http://www.i4m.com/think/history/mormon_history.htm

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 10:39AM

..and there's more

LDS Tithing History, Oct 20, 1903
LDS Tithing Chronology

-- Oct 20, 1903
Death of Green Flake, African-American slave who drove Brigham Young into the Salt Lake Valley on Jul 24, 1847. Green was owned by Mormon James M. Flake who lent him along with a wagon and two mules to the Church for the 1847 trek west. Upon the death of James M. Flake in 1850 his widow moved to California, a free state, but before leaving gave her "Negro slave Green Flake" to the Church as tithing. Green worked two years for Brigham Young and for Heber C. Kimball, and was then granted his freedom. After his wife's death he moved to Idaho. He returned to Salt Lake in 1897 to attend the 50th anniversary "jubilee" celebration of the arrival of the pioneers, where he received a certificate honoring him as a surviving member of the Brigham Young pioneer company. He is one of three slaves listed on the plaque on the Brigham Young monument in downtown Salt Lake City under the category of "Colored Servants."

http://lds-church-history.blogspot.com/2010/12/lds-tithing-history-oct-20-1903.html

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 11:42PM

The skeletons in the lds church history closets are coming out. It is not pretty!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 03:13AM

Wilford Woodruff recorded in his journal that he bought an Indian boy from a friend for $40. And he put the kid to work. So Indians could be slaves owned by Mormon priesthood leaders too, as well as blacks.

Posted by: Glenn ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 01:44PM

Surprised but not surprised. Anyone willing to objectively look at this religion finds quicksand not a rock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 01:44PM by outfor17yrs.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 16, 2012 01:53PM

Utah joined the U.S. as a territory. being how the question of new states & territories was Ripe at the time, Utah (ruled by the Iron Hand of BY) had the CHOICE of entering as 'slave' or 'free'.

Utah chose slavery.

And today, people laud BY as "God's Prophet", a person who spoke for HF, gave HFs Truths, Principles, and Values to "his people"; the same BY that gave us the MMM and the cover-up that followed it.

The Same BY that co-mingled his personal finances with those of tithing, etc. Charged people for granting divorces, etc.

The same BY that ChurchCo names it University system after...

I ask: where are LDS historians on BY TODAY?
should they *we* have a Rough Stone Rolling II book to explain & apologize for BY?

Remember, LDS: 'the gospel' is the same yesterday, today, and Forever!

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 12:01AM

> Remember, LDS: 'the gospel' is the same yesterday,
> today, and Forever!

yes, it is! Founded on BS, BS then, currently BS, and always will be BS !

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: June 08, 2013 11:54PM

Hilariously, my hipster TBM younger sister still believes the whole 'The saints were abolitionists, & that's why they were driven out of Missouri' lie.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 12:03AM

Have her read the article refuting an abolitionist who spoke in
Kirtland, Ohio. It was a letter to the editor of a Mormon
publication decrying that an abolitionist spoke there. It
talked about how slavery was from the Bible and that setting the
slaves free would be a huge mistake.

The author? Joseph Smith.

Have her read it before you tell her who wrote it.

Date: June 09, 2013 12:05AM

Missouri ? slavery? MORmON Lies? MORmON thinking? there must be a tie in to all of this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiZn_fXBwtg

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 02:32AM

Here's what the Mormons published in Missouri making it CLEAR
that they were NOT abolitionists.

http://www.utlm.org/images/curseofcain/curseofcain_p15.gif

You might want to print it out and show it to your sister.

Date: June 09, 2013 12:25AM

How Brigham Young suspended the law of tithing as it suited him, due to Brigham's failed dealings with the trans continental railroad.

this might seem like the opportune time for the MORmON Jesus to prove Himself and his law by pouring out blessings BUT Brigham wasnt going to rely on that, for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwkFavjPsdE

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 12:45AM

Horace Greely interviewed Brigham Young on July 13, 1859:

"H.G. — What is the position of your Church with respect to Slavery?

B.Y. — We consider it of Divine institution, and not to be abolished until the curse pronounced on Ham shall have been removed from his descendants."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 01:49AM

Wow. So, for Mormons, slavery ended in 1978??

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 06:59AM

Would this be the same Ham from the kinderhook plates hoax??

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 01:49AM

Yeah, that's some enlightened Only True Church goin' on there.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 02:52AM

Yes, the church's revisionist history on this topic is breathtaking. Nearly every major US denomination had growing abolitionist movements within them starting early in the 19th century. The Mormon church had _zero_ members openly involved in promoting abolition. And BY fell squarely on the wrong side of that issue.

Posted by: Charlotte Darwin ( )
Date: June 09, 2013 10:57AM

For sh!ts and giggles, email her back and say, "Yeah, that tithed slave part really bothers me, too." As though you are responding to what she should have written. (A snarky reference to the "Answer the question they should have asked").

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.