Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 09:26AM

But I don't dare tell them the full set of circumstances. I contacted my old organ teacher and asked of she knew of anywhere that would be interested in letting me be an organ scholar. She was thrilled at the suggestion. She contacted the treasurer and they agreed that if I was also willing to sing in the choir while not playing the organ (since I'll be playing just 1 thing every week for now) that the church would pay for my lessons.

The choir is excellent! I sang at my first service there yesterday, and it was very nice. I'm scheduled to start playing the pipe organ in services later this month.

I'm really excited about the opportunity to grow as an organist and to be involved with good music on a weekly basis. I don't dare tell my parents that I'll no longer be attending my YSA ward since I am still somewhat financially dependant on them. I'll just say when they ask that church was great. Sad, since normal parents would be proud instead of devastated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2014 09:29AM by jdawg333.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 09:38AM

You are doing the right thing. Keep it up and keep us posted. Music is a great thing. Just keep to your path.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 10:18AM

is that you will also make new friends who can support you as you transition out of the church.

You will learn a lifelong skill that most churches would be happy to PAY you to do. They will also give you a lot more latitude to perform a bigger variety of music, instead of binding you hand and foot (pun intended) with rules about what you can't play .

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 11:31AM

That is wonderful! Wish your parents could celebrate the religious side of your journey too.

As a church organist/musician, I tried to find a church to play for prior to resigning, just to make the transition seem better. I didn't find a church organ job until about 6 months after my resignation, but now I play regularly for two churches, and get calls from others throughout the valley asking me to play for them.

I'm agnostic, but still enjoy Christian music and traiditions, especially with the added variety as noted above by imaworkinonit. I play a lot of jazzy arrangements, love Craig Curry arrangements for the piano.

Posted by: austrobrit ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 11:58AM

Great news! One of the few things I'm grateful for is the opportunity to play keyboard through the church and have been organist for several friends at their weddings and civil ceremonies in later life - it will bring joy throughout your life, lds or not.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 12:36PM

That's what I would usually say: church was good today. That's all they need to know/ want to hear. It's good you are playing and singing - much greater are the rewards than YSA (next to none).

Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 06:06PM

Thanks for the support, all! I'm sure I'll love it. :)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 08, 2014 06:30PM

Man, the organ is not just an instrument. It's a way of life. I hope this goes well with you. Organ playing is a gift.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.