Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 12:51PM

So one of the most damning things in my opinion right now about one of the current practices by the LDS church is their refusal to release their financial statements.

One would think a non-profit organization claiming to be run by Jesus Christ himself would be a transparent in their financial dealings and show the world how they do "all this good" with the tithing they require of their members. I would not expect the true church to be acting in secrecy. I would expect them to be an "open book" as Gordon B. Hinckley claimed.

Other churches do it. Why can't the LDS church? Would you donate to any other non-profit organization if they didn't release financial statements showing where that money went? Its one of the basic methods of determining if a "charity" is really legit. If people saw that the donations were not being properly spent then they would reconsider donating to that particular organization. If an organization was paying its leaders too much or spending it wastefully then people would consider it shady and corrupt.

LDS Inc DEMANDS 10% of its members numbers but won't even show them how it is spent? Why the secrecy LDS Inc? Why hide your financial statements from the public if you have nothing to hide?

Have you ever asked a member about this? If they claim they aren't secret about it, ask them to find the church's annual budget and financial statements for you. Seems like a good question to ask.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 12:58PM

I agree. Put aside for now the controversial history, doctrine and practices of Joseph Smith. What about the constrovery surrounding today's leaders?

We may not be able to get an absolutely clear record from the 1800s that indisputably shows where JS got the BoM or other claims, but rest assured that there are indisputable financial histories and documents about current apostles activities regarding taking loans and property transfers from LDS owned corporations and banks. About the church ownership in malls, business parks, industrial commerce centers, hunting preserves and more.

These modern financial histories and business doctrines are not muddled like the early church documents. They're just purposely hidden. The 15 sit on the boards as directors and trustees of LDS owned corporations, and they will not open the financial books of the church corporation activities to the members. They do an internal audit with church paid auditors who sign very strict non-disclosure agreements about all of these transactions.

They could open these histories up if the members demanded it loudly enough. But members are sheep, just as they leaders ask them to be.

The LDS church can silence critics of apostle finances and lavish business interests by showing the first hand evidence of their financials. Politicians release their taxes and business activities for public scrutiny. Even Mitt Romney finally did after a lot of hassle. The acclaimed highly integerous apostles could dispel the suspicions in a heartbeat. Should they? Will they?

The 15 special witnesses are believed closest to JC. I would expect a member should acknowledge that they have nothing to fear if their acts are pure and noble. However, if the evidence isn't in their favor, we wouldn't expect them to open their finances. After all, members covenant in the temple to never speak evil against the Lord's anointed. The apostles are banking on it. Perhaps literally.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 01:05PM by Jesus Smith.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 01:19PM

--Misleading the Masses and the Media: How LDS Inc. Has Siphoned Money from Its Members to Support the Personal Lifestyles of High Mormon Church Leaders and to Cover Their Debts

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,944741,944741#msg-944741

--Asking Mormons about Their Chuch's Secret Finances and How GAs Get Paid

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,944731,944731#msg-944731

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 01:26PM by steve benson.

Date: July 03, 2013 01:35PM

Its seems so crooked to me. Its not like some unverifiable fact or speculation. Its not some old anti-Mormon claim. Its a verifiable practice that is inexcusable. In my opinion there is simply NO GOOD REASON for them to keep their finances secret.

If a church can't be honest with its own members then the members should have no reason to be loyal to it.

If the church was true and the members had true testimonies of this true church, then they should be able to see how much money the church receives and how they handle the finances. If the members don't like what they see then they can either swallow their pride and get with the program, because they supposedly have a true testimony of the church, or they should get out because they never had a true testimony of it in the first place.

I don't think its even crossed the minds of most members about whether the church releases financial statements. They have such unwavering trust in the org that it simply has never dawned on them that the church might not be the best steward of their money and that they don't let release an annual budget (for this very reason).

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 02:25PM

Here's the thing: They repeatedly use the excuse about various prophet's utterances "They were imperfect men and can make errors." OK. let's apply that to all the men who handle the money. As we know, money is a potent temptation to dishonesty or at least unethical dealing. No one can tell me that the financial dealings of TSCC are invulnerable to these problems.

Date: July 03, 2013 02:27PM

Good point. If they admit that their leaders are "not perfect" then we can't have faith in how they handle the money. The financials should then be made public so that we can ensure the money is used properly.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 01:22PM

I have asked mormons this. Here is the response:

"It would open up the gates for criticism by anti-mormons."

Date: July 03, 2013 01:37PM

And my answer would be

1) and why would it open the floodgates to anti-Mormons?
2) and who cares what the anti's think.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 02:54PM

"Did you think doing the right thing is never difficult?"

"Do you only do the right thing if it's easy?"

are just a couple questions that put that tired excuse to rest.

Posted by: nomo_angelchaps ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 01:30PM

IMHO The church has been doing things in secret since the time of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. They haven't changed a whole lot since. Just finished Fawn Brodie's "No Man Knows My History" and realized that the church is still very much the same as it ever was. I wouldn't expect them to reveal all because that isn't in their best interest. You think people are leaving in droves now, just let them tell it all and see how many members they have left.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 01:33PM

I attend a Methodist church now. I have discussed the total lack of financial reporting in the LDS church. I have been told that I can walk into the Methodist church I attend and see the financials anytime I want. The monthly flow chart is accessible online too.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 02:56PM

This is pretty common in most Christian churches.

Most publish an annual statement which is in the newsletter.
Often online these days.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 01:50PM

This is one of my top indisputable issues that on its own and regardless of anything else, clearly demonstrates that TSCC is not what it claims to be.

We all know the reason it doesn't release this info is that it would be a major eye-opener for lots of members and tithing would drop significantly. So it's clear that the 15 value tithing revenues above honesty and openness. Apostles of The Lord Jesus Christ? Not even close.

Posted by: Counter Bean ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 02:08PM

...worth reading, IMO: "Analysis of latest LD$ Church financial data filed w/ Canada's tax agency" at http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,930138,930138#msg-930138

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 03:07PM

Sigh. Yes. My TBM sister's response:

"The people paying their tithing are grownups. If they choose to give their 10% to the church, even though they don't get to see any financial statements, then that's their choice. If it bothers them, they don't have to pay tithing."

I was totally dumbfounded by that.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 03:32PM

Ex-cult member:

Great post, and this has been my #1 contemporary issue since I left.

Typical TBM responses:

- Anyone can see where all the money goes. Just look at all the beautiful temples, the missionary program, meeting houses popping up.

- There is no legal requirement to, so why should we.

- I know The Lord is in charge, so I do not care where it is going.

- Tithing is a commandment, so I do not care where it is going?

- No one is getting rich.

- We get a report on finances in every General Conference, so the church IS transparent.

Posted by: jbug ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 03:39PM

I asked my super brainwashed TBM husband about this....he just says they DON'T keep this a secret. He just wouldn't believe that his pwecious CULT is anything but perfect, by damn it is what everybody else aspires to be!! Then he proceeds to give them thousands of dollars a year. Holy crap.

Date: July 03, 2013 06:07PM

Ask him where you can find their annual budget published. Ask him where you can find where it states the annual donation (tithing) amount the church received each year.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: July 03, 2013 06:15PM

"THE" MORmON church has nothing to hide,
just ask a Hinckley, but don't ask to see any financial accounting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR6udrKFjGo

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.