Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: September 09, 2014 01:40PM

http://www.suindependent.com/news/id_5400/Do-non-Mormons-face-discrimination-in-Southern-Utah?.html

I think it is easy to have a knee jerk reaction to this topic, "duh", of course. From the days of the Mountain Meadows Massacre of course Southern Utah is a Mormons rule community and culture.

What is compelling though is the stubborness of the Mormon leader and the unwillingness to discuss the subject. He is a religious authority and dismisses it with an anecdotal swish of his hand and "not in good standing" stomp of his foot.

You aren't a Mormon in good standing if you do something thst gives the Mormon church a black eye. Even if you are the "son" of Brigham Young executing your priesthood orders at Mountain Meadows.

The Mormon culture has expanded, but still uses the tools of isolationism to justify thr behaviors of Church while requiring membership to tip toe through the indelicate relationships that causes with non-Mormons. I don't know what the NOMs are doing or expect with their behavior, but would be open to hearing how they struggle with Mormons as well. Perhaps squishy Mormons get rough treatment from everybody and need to create their own community/sect rather than taking a stand.

These are two of the Mormon quotes I most enjoyed. Feigned offense and contempt. Skills we learned well as persecuted Mormons.

“I thought it was repulsive,” said St. George City Councilman Gil Almquist, who also serves as the president of a local LDS stake. “I felt very misunderstood that night,” he added.

If I were to have had a discriminating experience in St. George as a Non-Mormon I would contact Councilman Brother Almquist and share my experience with the condition that he can no longer make his extremely ignorant claim that he has never heard of Mormon discrimination of non-Mormons.

“You know, there are individuals who, for whatever reason, say ‘your kid can’t play with my kid,’” said Hyde. “Why not? ‘Well, because you’re not a member of our church.’ Those are pretty rare instances, but they do happen.”

“That probably does exist somewhere,” Almquist admitted, “but if somebody from the LDS church has offended somebody wrongfully, well, they’re not in good standing. They need to repent.”

I think his nickname should be The Ostrich

You're not a Mormon in good standing if you misbehave therefore you are not representative of the Mormons. Only good people are Mormons in good standing, bad people are either not Mormon or are not Mormons in good standing. Is that discrimination to say that?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2014 01:48PM by gentlestrength.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 2+2=4 ( )
Date: September 09, 2014 07:09PM

It's kind of the same tactic the Multi Level Marketing kingpins use:

Create a dishonest, unhealthy, unethical culture from the top down...

...but then let the member/distributors do the actual dirty work, (lying about the fake BizOp, lying about the "simplicity" of a payment plan that is really quite complex, making false product/health claims and other general manipulation)...

...when faced with exposure of their misdeeds, MLM corporate and the top level bosses use plausible deniability to quarantine themselves from any blame or liability. All the blame is placed on supposedly "bad apple" distributor(s), who are expendable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2014 07:09PM by 2+2=4.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 09, 2014 07:39PM

My sister works for a mormon.

During the interview they had found out she was mormon...

They started asking her questions like,

"Did you get married in the temple?"

Sometimes I wonder if mormons are the ones who face discrimination from other mormons, moreso than non-mormons.

Because once they know you are also mormon, they have a whole new list of imagined criteria for you to comply with.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 09, 2014 08:23PM

"No True Scotsman" fallacy.
Religious people are quite fond of it.

"No TRUE chrstian would ever kill someone, so that person who shot the abortion doctor wasn't a christian!"

Yeah, they were.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: September 10, 2014 09:32AM

As someone who lives here, the answer is both yes and no.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 10, 2014 11:21AM

Everyone faces discrimination everywhere about everything. It is just a matter of degree.

And Cedar City is different than Hilldale. Starbucks is different than a ward house. I think you need to narrow the question. Southern Utah is a mighty big (and empty) place.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.