Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dodgeawrench ( )
Date: September 12, 2014 11:08PM

Yes, it is true. I am from Utah. Spent many a moons in Morridor. Now I am a Southernite. St. George area to be more exact. Where are you from? Would I like to live there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: orange ( )
Date: September 12, 2014 11:42PM

Bay Area. Only move here if you are a millionaire or have a job that is paying well over six figures. Other than that, it is wonderful.

Date: September 12, 2014 11:48PM

I have the well over 6 figures thing in order, but I visit the bay area so often that you could almost already say that I live there. Plus I get to stay in the nicest hotels on the companies dime!

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 09:04AM

The Bay Area continues to function only because of all the workers who live in Vacaville or Manteca. I've also talked with prep cooks and janitors who live 15 to a house in East Oakland.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 12, 2014 11:44PM

I'm from a little mountain tourist town in Colorado. Yes, you would love living there, forever or until you were sick of it.

Date: September 12, 2014 11:49PM

I absolutely love Colorado. Being from Utah, it is hard to say nothing but good about Colorado. But I drove through Colorado 4 times last year and absolutely loved it. Nobody knows that you get 300+ days of sunlight in Colorado. that many days of sunlight, with that climate.....I'm in!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 12, 2014 11:53PM

Born raised Portland, OR. Lived in UT the moved to CA. Been here since 1967.

Date: September 13, 2014 12:03AM

I absolutely love Portland, Oregon. I travel there all the time as well. The golf up there is so lush and beautiful. Where about do you live in CA?

Posted by: Saucie away from home ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 12:08AM

I live in Southern California... I don't know if you would

like it or not since I don't know you. I love it, its my

home, there is so much diversity in the population, so many

places to go to , but its also getting too crowded and too

expensive for many. You should visit and see for yourself.

Date: September 13, 2014 12:44AM

I have spent a ton of time in Southern California and I am still out there quite a bit now. I worship the Sun and good weather. So It is definitely one of my favorite places to travel to for these things.!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 02:46AM

dodgeawrench Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have spent a ton of time in Southern California
> and I am still out there quite a bit now. I
> worship the Sun and good weather. So It is
> definitely one of my favorite places to travel to
> for these things.!

I have lived in Santa Barbara County, Goleta area, for 36 years up in North County now near Vandenberg.
It's a beautiful area.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 12:53AM

Moved all over creation with corporate hotdog ex - Denver, Seattle, Cincinnati, New Orleans. . .but moved to New Mexico with my job after pitching the ex.

I love it here. My DH, who is practically a native, hates the dryness and wants to move to the Pacific Northwest. I find that the desert has its own beauty, so I don't mind it. We can see the very base of the Rocky Mountains from here, so an alpine climate is within driving distance.

It gets pretty warm in the summer, but we also get a bit of snow in the winter, so it is balanced. The only thing I don't like is that it is land-locked. I DO miss the beaches of my native state.

Date: September 13, 2014 01:58AM

Been there too, and love the dryness as well!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 12:56AM

Central Valley in North California. Hot summers and cool winters. We have both seasons here.

Date: September 13, 2014 01:59AM

Agreed! My travels bring me there often and I couldn't agree with you more!

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 01:51AM

Minnesota. Great education, great healthcare. I love the green rolling hills, the beautiful blue lakes and water sports, and the beauty of Northern Minnesota. The Twin Cities has a lot to offer. Yes, the winters can be severe, and December - February are what I would change about Minnesota.

I like the people though too - more than other places I've lived (including Utah and North Dakota). It's just such a good mix of people - you have some conservatives, and some liberals - a lot middle of the road, swaying this way and that, depending on the issue. You have your conservative farming communities, your liberals in the Twin Cities and some of the surrounding communities, and some up North. It's just a good mix. North Dakota seemed largely pretty conservative, as did Utah. Utah just seemed so homogenous, which I dislike and would not want in a place to live.

Date: September 13, 2014 02:03AM

I was just up there last week. I'm there 8 to 10 times a year. The summer months are definitely my favorite!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 02:03AM by dodgeawrench.

Posted by: Anon Tri-Citian,regular poster ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 02:42AM

http://www.oceangrove.org I will always miss it, growing up within walking distance of the ocean.

Posted by: Knight in Waiting ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 02:50AM

I live down in SoCal! It's pretty nice where I live. I would describe my city as...quaint. I would rather not live here in the future as an individual adult though. It's going to be far too expensive.

The weather is best described as 'bipolar' at times.

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 03:16AM

I live in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.

Victoria is a smallish city, and the provincial capital. Downtown is very small - only a few blocks by a few blocks. To the north and east of downtown, there are neighbourhoods as clean, tidy and orderly as anything you might find in any other North American city. To the west is a neighbourhood which surrounds a naval base. It is rougher than the other neighbourhoods around Victoria, but nowhere near as rough as a typical American "rough" neighbourhood.

The weather is very mild, and because we are in the rain shadow of Washington's Olympic Peninsula, we get significantly less rain than Seattle and Vancouver, BC. We really only have two seasons - warm and cool. Snow, and temperatures below freezing, are very rare.

Vancouver Island is sparsely populated. There are only two cities: Victoria and Nanaimo, which is about a two hour drive north. Most of the island is mountainous wilderness. There are also quite a lot of micro-climates because of the topography of the island, and its location.

This area is not religious. We are definitely outside the Bible Belt. What it is, though, is active and athletic. It is simply amazing how many people in this city, of all ages, belong to an athletic team of some kind, if they are not pursuing an individual athletic goal (like running marathons). Rugby, baseball, cricket, softball, lacrosse, polo, soccer, triathlon, cycling, rock-climbing, hockey, kayaking, hiking, swimming, water polo, and rowing are just some of the athletic endeavours popular in this town. As you can imagine, obesity is rare.

The nickname for Victoria is Chicktoria. I'm not sure if it's true, but there is a common belief that young women outnumber young men here. Perhaps it is the result of increasing female enrollments at the university here (the University of Victoria). I would say that my own personal observations support the claim that attractive women outnumber potential boyfriends here.

The sunny, mild climate has also made gardening a very popular pastime here.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 09:33AM

I love Vancouver Island, Tal. Gonna be there next year to visit a friend who lives in Nanaimo, who's moving back to Lethbridge in '16 when she retires. Looking forward to eating lots of seafood.

Ron Burr

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 09:34AM

I love Victoria. That would be a cool place to live.

Date: September 13, 2014 10:53AM

Tal, I used to live in Logan and worked with your sister Kezia and husband Paul. Lost track of them years ago. Anyway, they used to tell me stories of this far off wonderful/beautiful place where your dad lived and how they loved to visit. Seems like they moved there too, but I can't quite remember. Anyway, this place sounds a lot like the magical place you just described. Not sure if it is or not. Either way, sounds amazing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 10:54AM by dodgeawrench.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 03:25AM

Up north, WAY north...

Don't know if you'd like to live here, but it's beautiful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddkYJ6XdZtY

Posted by: trisha ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 04:09AM

Ragnar...I live WAY up north too. I do NOT like it one bit. I can't wait until I can leave. I guess you either love it or hate it. The dark in the Winter it livable, but too many weird people in my area. Drugs, alcohol and militia people were not what I expected when I moved here. I also don't care for the weird cults in a particular area. It makes me sad to see the women in their long dresses at the grocery stores.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 04:39AM

What country are you talking about?

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 03:50AM

Here is my home - we have everything, just everything. Great warm and welcoming people and lots to do - a very healthy and happy place to live. We are close to mountains (okay only little ones but gorgeous), lakes, great cities and architecture and of course, our family favourite - venues for sailing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7t_7rVR6AI

Forget London - too many limitations and expensive.

Briggy

Posted by: Saucie away from home ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 12:53PM

brigantia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is my home - we have everything, just
> everything. Great warm and welcoming people and
> lots to do - a very healthy and happy place to
> live. We are close to mountains (okay only little
> ones but gorgeous), lakes, great cities and
> architecture and of course, our family favourite -
> venues for sailing.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7t_7rVR6AI
>
> Forget London - too many limitations and
> expensive.
>
> Briggy

I would move there in a minute if i could. I'd love to live there,

Posted by: newnameabigail ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 04:14AM

well I am still in the midwest ..... of Germany if I could choose a place to live I'd like to live in Alaska or Colorado. ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2014 04:15AM by newnameabigail.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 05:28AM

Living here in Mesa, virtually within the shadow of the temple.

Isn't that just special?

Date: September 13, 2014 09:28AM

Indeed....you have my sympathies.... my folks had a place in Mesa (Apache Wells) for 20 years.

Ron Burr

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 05:34AM

Arlington, TX home of the worst team in MLB.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 05:42AM

Bangor, Co Down, Northern Ireland, just outside of Belfast. Hate it, though the small community we just moved to is best of a bad lot.

Place I would most like to live: Back to Salzburg, where we spent four wonderful years before being exiled to this hellhole. I would rather live anywhere German is spoken.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 07:04AM

Perth, Western Australia here. We have a climate similar to S Cal but reversed...hottest month January. Average winter daytime temp is 18c.

Perth is a modern city with lots of emphasis on our beautiful beaches.

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 08:11AM

Maryland here

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 10:18AM

University Park

Grew up in Texas. I want to move back to France.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 08:14AM

Chesapeake Bay region. We have all four seasons with a generally moderate climate. There are two major cities within easy driving distance, beautiful countryside, and lots of waterfront -- the bay, rivers and the ocean. If you like water sports, this might be your paradise.

Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 08:22AM

I live in oil patch camps a good part of the year. Any where from the U.S.-Canadian border all the way up to the far north as far as Tuktoyuktuk in the North West Territories. I do love Southern California and go there at least once a year. A lot of very nice country out there to see.

Posted by: jellobeltnevermo ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 08:46AM

Arizona to California to Arizona to Oregon to Arizona and back to Oregon. Love California, but very expensive and crowded. Definitely love it here in Beaverton. I am pretty much done with Arizona for many reasons.

Posted by: anymoo ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 08:49AM

I moved to St. Louis three years ago and I love it here; therefore you would love it here too. XD

I also lived in MN for a while and it was great except for the winters. Winter is way more tolerable in St. Louis and the summers aren't too bad (so far).

It's kind of like a little Chicago here (where I was born and raised), only without as many people and less violent crime. Our museums are free (though I haven't been to them yet). It seems like there's always something to do here ^^

Date: September 13, 2014 09:25AM

Just SE of Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada on our farm. We are one hour from the US border with Montana and just a bit farther from the Rocky Mountains and Waterton Lakes National Park (& ten mintues from the southern Alberta Moridor). Lethbridge is a beautiful city of just under 100K population. Our weather has four seasons, but our winters can be tempered a bit by warm, dry Chinook winds that blow over the Rockies that can raise the temp from -30F to +30F in an hour....quite a nice break in Jan. or Feb. Summer temps can get into the 90'sF but the nights are cool. I love where I live but it's nice to jump on a plane to somewhere warm in January.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 09:38AM

Edmonton, Alberta. I really would rather live in Calgary or further south as the climate is a lot milder in winter, but this is home for now. Lethbridge are would be just fine..been there a few time visiting a good friend in (shudder) Raymond.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 09:55AM

Calgary.

Would you like to live here? Do you like snow in the summer?

Yes, snow. The leaves hadn't even started to change yet and we had three days of snow. As a friend said to me, "it's strange to be watching snow fall while scratching mosquito bites."

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 12:20PM

Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 10:14AM

Central Montana.

I don't recommend ANYONE move here. Its very much like Utah--if you're not at least 4 generations from here, own a ranch and have the right last name, you're not really welcome here. Long, harsh winters (we don't see the ground from October to April) and a two hour drive to the closest Walmart. On the plus side, there's TONS of public land that's easily accessible, and it is beautiful here with the mountains and rivers and wildlife. And I'm only a couple hours from the Canadian border and Calgary--which is lovely to visit. Luckily for me, I only have four more years to live here and I count every day until I'm gone!

If I was going to stay in Montana, I'd move to Bozeman in a heartbeat. Lovely town with all the basic necessities, a short drive to Yellowstone, and a reasonable cost of living.

I bought a house in Tucson a couple years ago, and the desert is a nice break from Montana winters. The scenery is beautiful, people are nice, and its easy to get around. I've run into more white people cooking meth out in the desert than I have illegals. I accept that my car will probably get stolen at some point while I am down there.

I grew up in Southern Colorado and would never go back there, but that's my personal preference. I have many friends who were born and raised there and would never leave.

Posted by: godtoldmetorun ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 10:37AM

Born and raised in Bangor, Maine. Though Maine is generally a lovely place, Bangor is a sh!thole ridden with poverty and drug use. For a while, Bangor ranked #1 in the country for use of the bath salt drug. You don't want to visit Bangor, let alone live there. It wasn't always like that, though. It used to be a decent place.

The only exciting thing about living in Bangor was occasionally running into Stephen King. Nice, approachable guy.

I currently live in Chicago. I don't know you enough to say whether or not you'd like to live here...but it's a wonderful place worth a visit.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 11:02AM

Anyone got a report from Bangor, Wales?

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 11:46AM

California central valley. No, not a very exciting place to live. But, the good part is that I can go to some pretty cool places in most directions in a couple hours. Loosely borrowing from "Oh, Brother...", "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two [hours] from everywhere!"

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 12:05PM

SE Idaho. I've lived here my entire life and have a love hate relationship with it. Its very close to Yellowstone, Sun Valley, Jackson Hole, and SLC. I dread the winters tho.

SE Idaho is like Utah. Tons of Mormons and a church on ever corner. This is the reason for my love hate- but we're stuck here for now so I gotta find a way to love it.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 12:16PM

Grew up in the Sierra foothills, two hours from Lake Tahoe and two hours from San Francisco. Skiing on Saturday and clam chowder with sourdough bread on Sunday at the warf.

Posted by: NewLifeGuy ( )
Date: September 13, 2014 12:26PM

Wow, I read about a lot of diverse and neat palaces to live here on this thread. It would be nice to experience living in many of these places.

I live in the heart of happy valley right here in Utah County (Orem) where I have resided the last 18 years. Very TBM when I moved here with big family and now single, retired, and exploring a very new life.

I like the area in many ways but of course there is the 95% Mormon population and all that entails to deal with for a now ex Mormon. I have made it work and still feel okay living here so I may stay especially since I would have a hard time affording to move. I love the varied terrain of Utah and explore as much of it as I can.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.