Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 12:58PM

I think it was in Marvelous Work & Wonder... it was a rant against having 'extravagant' "unnecessary" possessions.

Stupid Cult

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jesuswantsme4asucker ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 01:01PM

would that include second homes, and million dollar homes? What about riding around in a million dollar Audi limo? I guess extravagent and unnecesarry only applies to people at the Stake pres level and below.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 01:10PM

Years ago, a bishop chastised my parents over the pulpit for having a push button phone. This was in the days when most people had rotary phones. Certainly, a shameless display of wealth and extravagance!

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 01:10PM

Date: August 30, 2013 01:16PM

MOTT:

Mormonism Off The Track!

Date: August 30, 2013 01:33PM

Can someone PLEASE post this Question on FLAK? I'm BANNED there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2013 01:33PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 02:31PM

I remember having to save quarters and one dollar bills to have enough money to go to the temple..and it was only a two hour drive away.

I had a Senior citizens thrift shop to go to and it never had anything that wasn't one step away from the rag bag or ten to fifteen years out of style.
I'd get all I could stuff in a small plastic bag for $1 on "dollar day". I made toddler size shirts from some size 3X shirts that four of my children wore as they grew into them.
I made my clothes and patched the knees in my jeans.

I'd finally get to the temple and I even had the money to rent the temple clothes. (I was soooo grateful when Hinck dropped the cost of the temple clothes down to 'at cost' from over $70 down to $30 so I could finally buy my own set)

So I'd be sitting there, and some lady with the big diamonds that could pay for my entire house and my cars, would be sporting big gawdy fingernails....! One nail job with those claws were what it cost for me to go to the temple; the gas, the food, the clothing rental and the extra pizza/boxed food for my non-cooking husband to feed the kids while I was gone.

I found it galling. I thought we were supposed to be modest in our apparel?

No, I don't like fancy manicures on me, I'm so active with my hands, I can't even wear wristwatches...I beat them up within three weeks....:D!

But it struck me as weird. We're supposed to be non ostentatious....yet Mormons wear fancy clothes, suits, shoes etc to church and judge you unrighteous if you don't have those same things....

Posted by: AlbertaApostate ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 03:12PM

Why are you banned on the FLAK board?

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 03:17PM

I was chastised over the pulpit for having a three car garage. I have to say they had a point. Our three kids each had a car, we could have used a 6 car.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.