Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 01:14PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 01:58PM

God told me to tell you:
To back the f*** off
To do what I tell you
To give me your money
To give me your wife
To give me your daughter(s)
To walk to Utah
To go on a mission, and you pay for it.

And of course the one so many of the women remember with less than fond memories: God told me to tell you that you are supposed to marry me.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 02:41PM

Funny. I'm reading a book right now called "Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women," by Geraldine Brooks. It's so interesing and hard to put down.

The part that really hit me was when they're talking about the prophet Muhammed receiving the revelations that were recorded in the Koran. They were received exactly the same way Jo Smith's were, by the spirit of expediency. "Hmmm, I really want to bed this beautiful 14 year old girl...Whammo..." Bob's Your Uncle... "thus sayeth the Lard (or Allah), the prophet is commanded to wed multiple women." And so many of the prophesies sound like the ones JS received (the D&C ones) that were directed to a certain person who was struggling to believe him at that moment, but written down in "thus saieth the guy upstairs" format. Come to think of it, I remember seeing a documentary about Jim Jones. God helped him out with revelation in the same manner. Yup, God is the same yesterday, today and forever. Well, at least when it comes to revealing His word to His servants, the profit$.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: September 20, 2013 03:03PM

I thought the same thing when I read The Price of Honor, about the lives of women in the Muslim world (great book, btw). IIRC, he had multiple very convenient "revelations" regarding marriage laws, depending on the situation at hand, including one that allowed him to rescind some standing prohibition on marrying widows of close relatives (or something to that effect) so that he could marry the young widow of his son. Very like JS.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.