Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soju ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 01:45PM

I've been lurking around reading the board for a while now, but this is my first time posting. I left the TSCC about 4 years ago after the birth of my first child (it was the life-changing event that led to self reflection and eventually abandonment of mormonism and also the notion of a god).

I haven't told my parents yet. My dad has been going through a lot, and as far as he knows I'm the last of his kids to remain in the church. I was the eldest, the only one to serve on a mission, the only one to get married (in the temple). My wife still believes and she takes my kids to church, so I usually avoid the issue of church or deflect with statements like "the kids are really enjoying primary" when asked about the ward (that I don't actually attend).

I just found out that he is about to go into surgery, in an hour or two, and I had no idea this was going to happen (my sister dropped the ball on letting me know). He has asked that I come by before it happens. He didn't say it directly, but I'm 99% sure he is going to ask me to perform a priesthood blessing. Which I won't / can't do. I've thought about just lying and faking my way through it but... I don't think I can handle that kind of a lie. But I also don't want to drop the "I'm an Atheist" bomb on him right before he goes under.

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place, and I've got pretty much nobody I can talk to who relates. Anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: marcion ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 01:55PM

Yes. My TBM mom has asked me for many priesthood blessings. It is always awkward and I hate it. But I just decided to fake it each time. It gives her peace of mind but does nothing else. She has had numerous priesthood blessings from others who are TBM and has had zero healing following her blessings. The priesthood blessing is just a rote thing like crossing your fingers for good luck or knocking on wood or throwing salt over your shoulder IMO. But it is a psychological comfort to her so I give in and do it sometimes.

I think any kind of prayer would be just as effective as a priesthood blessing but there is something about it that TBMs think is superior, like the priesthood has some kind of special power. WE all know it does not. I feel for you. It is a tough thing to do, either way you go.

Posted by: puzzled ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 02:33PM

I would agree. I have given blessings I know were just me making stuff up, saying what was wanted to hear in a non specific way. I don't like it, but I figure it's the best way to avoid more people being hurt. At the end of the day if is provides comfort in a placebo type way that's still better than nothing.

Posted by: soju ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 03:51PM

I ended up being saved from the situation by hospital rules. They only allowed two visitors at a time, and I went in with my brother (also an atheist, but my parents know about that). We went in to visit after my grandparents, and my grandfather had done the blessing that my father wanted. Because of the hospital rule I couldn't be present, so dodged a bullet there. After his recovery I'll have to tell him, before the next crisis arises. I suspect he's used to hearing about this by now; despite being the eldest, I'm the last of his seven children to leave the church.

I guess if I'll be posting instead of just lurking I'll need to get my exit story out in the exmormon bios forum.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: September 22, 2013 07:33PM

Glad to hear it all worked out soju. It is a tough one but I must admit I would have gone ahead and given the blessing, as it would have been very tough on your Dad to know what was going on right then.

I hope your Dad is fine, and that you and your family are too!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.