Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: duskus ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 09:23PM

Being a voracious reader prior to the mission, I had a very hard time adapting to basically two books, the BOM and the Bible. After a few months and having read the book of mormon 2 or 3 times I couldnt bring myself to reread it and almost exclusively read from the bible from that point on. This happen to anyone else? Why do you think that is

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 09:32PM

I read Jesus the Christ a couple of times. For whatever reason so many mormons are in awe of that book. Its not that deep, not that great, not that insightful...

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 10:27PM

"Jesus the Christ" and "The Articles of Faith" were the only two books I was allowed to bring (other than the scriptures) on my mission. (1970's)

Posted by: wannabefree ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 10:56PM

I know exactly what you mean. I read a couple thousand pages a week, and have since a child. In my family, you got grounded from books, not TV or video games. The reading restriction on my mission was hands down the hardest part (other than the only rule I broke funny that it dealt with something hard in my hands). I had read the bom more than a dozen times pre mission, the bible several times per, and whatever I could get my hands on. On the mission I amused myself by reading the bom and bible in Portuguese English, Spanish, French, and Italian. That still only took about a month. I had read Jesus the Christ(I still like many of the things in that book), miracle of forgiveness (I never felt the massive guilt trip from it, I didn't think it was that good of a book) but I read them again and again. I got my hands on the 2009 bishops and stake president's manual. That was some great reading! If only I had gotten my hands on that years earlier! Did you know that anything you do sexually before 14 if you wait a year to confess nothing happens to you? Including gay stuff. Before 16 same thing but with straight activities only. After 16 it can affect mission eligibility. I read every old liahona I could find.... And concluded that there was a lot the church didn't want to remember. It still took me another 6 years to open up and say I don't believe the bull anymore

Posted by: iriemon ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 11:24PM

My main motivation though was simple..I was in a very christian mission....Caribbean to be exact..and we ran into alot of people who loved to bash, and try and trash us. Putting together a good argument in defense of most of the major issues was a huge priority for me. Especially on one island where we had a christian missionary staying on the island, from the US specifically going around teaching against us. He ruined our teaching pool at one point. I wanted to be on top of my game when I met him. (Never did meet him ironically).

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: September 18, 2014 11:36PM

I read both straight through, cover to cover. After finishing the Bible, I felt that I had been on a real journey through time and the attempts of successive generations to make sense of God and themselves. The Book of Mormon came across as a shallow, sensationalist story that oddly addressed the major religious topics of concern of early 18th century America.

I couldn't afford any other books, but was given a few along the way. I read a book on the first battle of the Somme, Albert Speer's "Inside the Third Reich," and some Heinlein and Philip Jose Farmer. I recall these books much clearer and their impact has been much longer lasting than the BoM.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 12:57AM

Quote from a missionary blog I just read today:

" its kind of weird but im loving studying the bible. i sort of look forward to it every day. i havent read the book of mormon for like 2 weeks haha every morning i just open up the bible and next thing you know study time is over! "

This was from his last blog entry, in which he describes his homesickness and depression just 5-6 weeks into his mission.
http://eldertannerrigbysmith.blogspot.com/

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 19, 2014 01:16AM

I've always been a voracious reader. My parents didn't get that. They had almost no books in the house. They did have a set of encyclopedias that I read from A-Z more than once.

Ironically they never had a BoM PoGP or D&C. They had a big old Bible that someone had given them. I read that several times over because there was nothing else to read.

As soon as I discovered the local library I was there constantly. I checked out as many books as they would allow. I would read all of them before they were due, and then check out some more. I couldn't get enough of reading. Honestly, it was an escape from the real world. I'll save that for another day.

Once I was an adult I read the BoM from cover to cover a couple of times. I found it incredibly boring. I preferred to read the Bible. I had evangelical christian friends who like to talk about the Bible. We had some very interesting conversations. In comparison, BoM talk with mormons was a big yawn. Very few had actually read it. End of conversation. I preferred reading the D&C. I don't think I ever met a mormon who had read it. Even fewer (zero) had read the PoGP. If I asked questions about it I would get a blank look, then a shame faced confession of not having ever read that book.

So, yes. The Bible was the only book that seemed interesting to me. As a mormon, I was shocked at how few knew so little about it. My Christian friends put the mormons to shame in that area. I knew for sure that the mormon misheys would crash and burn if they had to depend on the Bible for discussion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.