Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GuiltyofSomething ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 04:05PM

I'm about to be making a rather big decision and I can't help fall for the guilt-trip the church leaders pull. I also get caught-up in what-ifs. Anyone have some tips to breaking the guilt barrier of the church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: finalfrontier ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 04:30PM

Yes: You can choose to not feel guilty. You are not bound by their rules and cult procedures. It sounds silly, I know. All it takes it the first time, after that, you will experience true freedom from the morg.

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 04:38PM

Guilt is the hammer and fear is the anvil.

They pound you with the hammer of guilt knowing that the anvil of fear you have been programmed with will take affect and control your behavior.

Classic utilization of the Judea/Christian fear paradigm.

These guys know what they are doing.

You need to reprogram your thoughts so you can stop hating yourself.

Posted by: Frightened Inmate #2 ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 04:40PM

Once you realize that the "doctrine" is BS you no longer have anything to feel guilty about. Don't feel guilty that they're spending their precious time on you, it's their choice. You also have no obligation to go to their meetings once you realize that you haven't covenanted to do anything, it's all lies.

Posted by: GuiltyOfSomething ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 04:57PM

I supppse I'm asking for some of the tricks others have used to get-past. I like thinking 'what-if i don't,' but it only goes so far.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 04:59PM

The role of guilt is to keep us away from doing things we would regret. But guilt is overwhelmingly programmed to be towards whatever we've learned to feel guilty about, there is very little, if any, inherent guilt. As it is a learned response you can un-learn to feel guilt about many things. And you do it by tearing it apart both in theory and in practice.

First of all you start by demanding a rational justification for why this behavior (buying beer on a sunday or whatever) would be a bad thing. And by rational I also mean one that doesn't take into the account the butterfly effect of actions because after a certain number of casual steps it just gets far-fetched and beyond your personal control anyway. That is, if your thinking about this leads to a bunch of what-ifs you have strayed away from something you should ever feel guilt about. 'What if' is always because of something you cannot control, and if you cannot control it then it's not your fault - i.e. you are not guilty and shouldn't feel guilt.

In practice you simply do things you formerly learned was bad. Like drinking coffee or watching tv on sundays or whatever, and you realize it wasn't a big deal. God didn't strike you dead at the tea section in the supermarket e.t.c.

And ofcourse when it comes to this big thing, whatever it is, you simply do it despite being uncertain (and you will be uncertain because afterall you have no experience of it being a good thing and lots of experience of it being a bad thing.) But you save up some courage and do it anyway and survive, and with time you will be able to say with certainty wether it was good or bad, or perhaps you will say it was good in this way but bad in another. And we will be all the wiser and no one will condemn you (atleast no one worth listening to). We will say, welcome to the gray area, welcome to humanity, where things aren't black and white and where there are no easy answers to complicated questions.

Posted by: GuiltyOfSomething ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 05:12PM

Can I have your permission to paste this on my wall and quote it?

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:25PM

Go ahead.. Copy and paste as much as you like.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 05:02PM

Well, I suppose what it is you are about to do should be considered.

If you feel guilty, make sure it is for doing something you truly should feel guilt for. If it is the kind of guilt that is church programmed, evaluate it and dismiss it for the attempt to control that it was.

Once you acknowledge the feeling, evaluate it, and let it go, you can stop having the "what if" demons. You should make the best decision you can at the time with the information you have.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 05:04PM

All I had to do is to think about how small and silly and looserish the Mormon god is. He can help find car keys, but that's about it. He reveals nothing of substance to his profits, he cannot attract people to "his" church, his deepest spiritual offerings are the rites in the mormon temple. I mean really, what kind of a silly god is that to worship. It wastes my time and insults my intelligence!

That's why I can't feel guilty about anything they want to guilt me about!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2013 05:05PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 05:23PM

Once you realize the mormon god is Lucifer it all starts to make alot more sense.

The following scripture is attributed to Ezra Taft Benson, Profit, Seer and Con-Man for the Cult Of Lucifer.

Follow me now and you will not regret,
Leaving the life you lead before we met.
Look into my eyes and you'll see who I am.
My name is Lucifer.
Please take my hand.

I kid, I kid.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: October 27, 2013 06:56PM

Do you feel guilty when you give 10% of you income to a billion dollar corporation instead of the local children's hospital? Who deserves/needs it more. Which would God really want you to do? If Jesus was here, would he spend billions on a high end mall or drill water wells all over Africa & other clean water starved countries?
Your guilt is from their brainwashing. It is they who should feel guilty.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.