Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: obiwan ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 05:46PM

This is absolutely EPIC!!!! This guy totally demolishes the tricks of the trade that the church uses to suck us in as converts. He totally smashes it as both an exmo and a psychologist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUsOHsZIiA4

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: brother not of jared ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 06:03PM

Does he mention crying? That's how they got to me. When I wasn't moved by watching the LDS bio-pic snuff-flic on Joseph Smith, one of the mishies (female) started crying and that got me. I felt sorry for her and that was the gap in the armour they needed to get in and talk me into a baptism, which didn't seem like very much at the time, but...

Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 09:08PM

This was really good!

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 09:43PM

Holy crap this was spot on.

It's scary to think how much I rationalized and didn't think about these things.

And, it's easier to do it to someone from birth and tell them it's normal.

Date: October 30, 2013 10:36PM

This clip was EPIC. And you are right, it is absolutly spot on. The thought control and the BITE model discussion were really scary. I am interested to know what your "snapping moment" was?

For me it was a discussion my wife and I had on the Catholic tradition of "Indulgences" where people used to pay to make confession, and have thier sins forgiven. I realised that we did the same thing in the church by having to pay tithings. You cannot get to the highest level of the celestial kingdon if you do not pay tithings. In fact you cannot receive your ordinances of salvation FULL STOP, if you are not a tithe payer, let alone gain acess to the temple for sealing for eternity etc....

This was my moment. What wereyours?

Posted by: finalfrontier ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 10:39PM

Agree, this was an amazing watch. I always attributed my 20 years as a believer to being BIC, which caused a lot of unreleased anger from my part towards my folks. Watching this was liberating, and made it obvious that it is not quite my parent's fault that I was controlled by the morg for so long.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 10:45PM

I was simultaneously brain washed, and mind controlled as a child. As an adult I no longer allowed the brainwashing, but the damage had been done.

It was a process of leaving, going back in, and then leaving for good. If I would have had all of this information at 18, I never would have went back. The kids that are now leaving young are very lucky. They not only have information, they have support. I didn't have either one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 10:45PM by madalice.

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 11:14PM

If time or bandwidth poor for Google here is proof/ a summary

http://www.bonneville.com/?nid=32

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 30, 2013 11:17PM

Sorry, as soon as I saw the word "Jesus" in the background the speakers lost all credibility.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 01:44AM

Me too, for a moment. Being an atheist myself, Jesusy things automatically seem suspect but coming out of Mormonism, we sometimes don't realize that many Christians aren't fundy, and are a varied lot.. Some of them are actually not brainwashed boobs and don't push their religion down your throat.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 04:00AM

. . . although he did seem to have a basic grasp on some of the fundamentals. I say give him time to polish up and to expand his repertoire.

One final suggestion: If the guy would learn to apply his check-offs across the board to Christianity like he did to Mormonism, he'd carry a lot more credibility. In other words, lose that big Jesus ad behind him.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 04:08AM by steve benson.

Posted by: was family first ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 04:52AM

I didn't like the big Jesus poster in the back BUT when he said he wanted everyone to know that he left for a 'legitimate reason, in that no one hurt his feelings" I stopped listening. He's still indoctrinated...leaving because someone offended you is a legitimate reason and is also the spark that starts the fire of waking someone up.

Posted by: was family first ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:30AM

I just wanted to add that in any unhealthy situation, or in a cultish church setting, when the discomfit becomes bigger than the pay off of staying, when being offended or hurt becomes bigger than the satisfaction of staying, it is the starting point for people to wake up and decide not to take it anymore and then they can begin to question their involvement and/or the group's legitimacy.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 10:34AM

This is very good.

Posted by: oceanluvr ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 04:40PM

OMG, this is wonderful

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:47PM

I really liked it. I was also surprised by all the religious background paraphernalia. It definitely didn't help his credibility in my mind. He can see all the problems with the BoM, but where's his skepticism of the Bible?

I like how he admits the "Holy Spirit" is nothing more than emotional manipulation, while standing in front of a big Jesus poster! IMO, he's just ditched one form of cognitive dissonance for a lesser one.

A lot of what he said about Mormonism can equally be said about Christianity in general. Emotion is the way to truth. No one ever has a legitimate reason to leave. People who do leave are automatically untrustworthy. Etc.

Date: October 31, 2013 06:00PM

I can understand the scepticism with the large Jesus sign in the background. But remember that he was invited onto a Christian online TV network to speak about his understandings of psychology as an exmo. Would it have made a difference to the message that he was giving if he had a large American flag in the background?

That LDS Inc. is nothing more than a bunch of slick salesmen who have been trained in the art of manipulation of our most basic psychology, our hopes, dreams and fears. That they target intelligent, vulnerable people, and totally transform the behaviors of those they find through emotional and psychological manipulation?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.