Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:31PM

I tend to be cognitively inconsistent when it comes to practicing my philosophical ideas. Mostly because I am undecided on what I actually think. However one thing that will almost always elicit a consistent response from me is the idea that something is special to the point of veneration. Abraham Lincoln was amazing and Darwin changed the world. That sort of thing.

I suspect that my beef is sourced in the hero and idea worship that infects Mormonism. Not that the source is important. Anyway, I often tend to bristle at some of the blind acceptance and idea worship that some give to science and technology. I'll even take the role of devil's advocate on an idea with which I agree. Give me a passionate defense of an idea with logic and data and I tend to accept the argument even if I disagree with the idea.

I just wonder if others are inflicted with this psychosis? Or am I just weird and easily influenced.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ltm ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:52PM

No. You are just an intellectual "putz". This is Yiddish, look it up.

Date: September 22, 2014 11:13PM

I'm dumb enough to know you're wrong, and smart enough to think you may be right.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:56PM

Main Entry: putz
Pronunciation: *p*ts
Function: noun
Inflected Form:-es
Etymology: Yiddish puts, literally, finery, show, probably from putsn to clean, shine; akin to German putzen to adorn, clean

1 slang : ⱣƐŋ!$
2 slang : a stupid, foolish, or ineffectual person : JERK

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 10:58PM

I have yet to meet a saint. Lincoln was a great man/president but shared many of the tragic racist views of his generation. Christopher Hitchins had some unpleasant things to say about Mother Teresa.

All of us contain both good and not-so-good Attributes. So, No I don't think you're inflicted with psychosis--most "great" people display inconsistencies in their lives. Boner.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:05PM

That's interesting, Jacob. It reminded me of something else you've said:

"A funny thing has happened to me. For 34 years I was content to let people tell me how I thought, what I believed in, and who I believed in. I subcontracted my conscious to my family and church. I still get stuck in that mode from time to time. There are some posters on this board that I tend to agree with without even reading their opinions. They have proven themselves in the past and I erroneously believe that they will deliver again. I will likely fight this till my death because it was so integral during my most formative years.

"Nothing will ever be my religion again, not if I can help myself."

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1352238,1352790#msg-1352790

That last line is exactly what I concluded after leaving LDSinc. The best thing is, we *can* help ourselves. Thank whatever that that much is true.

Cheers,

Human

Date: September 22, 2014 11:26PM

Perspective is the ultimate task master, it will never stop trying to change reality.

Posted by: LTM ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:09PM

My "Yid" friends tell me;

A putz is a small male genital or "a little prick", and
"schuck" is the opposite.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 22, 2014 11:10PM

And smuck is the product of the putz. Boner.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.