Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 01:30AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-harline/mormon-missionaries-_b_5869448.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

For some weird reason, this was on my Yahoo! news feed this morning. I have only seen Mormon missionaries up close a handful of times in my lifetime, even though I ended up marrying a former church member. Wonder if this is part of their campaign to seem more normal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 24, 2014 02:16AM

It turns out the guy who wrote the article just published a book about being a mishie. And since I love to read mishie tell alls, I will be reading and reviewing it.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 02:23AM

I bet most people would be horrified to learn that a large chunk of personal info is kept in an area book and relayed to leaders.

If youve ever even spoken with a missionary, they got stuff on you.

Posted by: Fang ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 02:32AM

Hmmm...is that why they don't by no more?

Date: September 24, 2014 02:34AM

Probably

Posted by: f ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 02:36AM

Shocking.

Date: September 24, 2014 02:35AM

Whoops.

Let me try this again: Hmmmm...is this why they don't come around no more?

(Sorry, I can't figure out how to edit.)

Date: September 24, 2014 02:36AM

little button says "edit" right after "report"

Date: September 24, 2014 02:41AM

I must be blind because I'm not seeing it.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 03:45AM

If you aren't logged in, the "edit" doesn't show.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 10:04AM

From my mission experiences, most missionaries are just out there doing time because too many people in their lives wanted them to go. Some of them are fanatical believers. Usually those types are ostracised by many of the other missionaries. If you're reasonable about your belief but don't break enough rules, sometimes you're still labeled by some as a finatical. A majority of them break a lot of the rules and are just marking time until they can go home. On my mission we weren't pressured to turn in much information. Some of my friends in other missions actually copied random names out of the phonebook to list as people they were teaching, just to stay out of trouble. The biggest thing I got out of my mission is how to endure abuse and how to get along with someone. Some companions are good guys and some are real assholes. If you can get along with some jerk who you would just like to punch his lights out but are forced to be around 24/7 for several months, it's infinitely easier after you get home to deal with a difficult girlfriend or wife who you're attracted to. Missionaries aren't anyone to fear. They're kids who are easy to manage. Don't be bothered or intimidated by them. If you set firm boundaries, they'll leave you alone.

Date: September 24, 2014 10:32AM

I don't doubt what you've written. I'm not afraid or bothered by Mormon missionaries. I've just seen a lot more JWs than Mormon mishies.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 11:09AM

I am not intimidated by mormon missionaries but I am bothered by them. It is ok to be bothered by people who come to your house uninvited and ask you personal questions. It is ok to be bothered by people who lie to you, even lies by omission, about the things they are selling you, and missionaries are selling their church. It is ok to be bothered by people who come to your house to tell you that your religious beliefs are wrong and there's are right.
Many missionaries don't accept firm boundaries. A firm boundary is when no one answers the door when you knock. How many of you as missionaries would continue knocking if you suspected someone was inside. How many pushed boundaries by asking someone to get baptized before they had gone through all the lessons? How many did the equivalent of stalking for the golden contact who called and canceled a meeting? How many people taught minor children without their parents permission. Baseball baptisms, basketball baptisms...
Boundaries also includes not giving personal information about people on your blog. We can all find examples of missionary blogs that tell way to much information.
I know these people are just 18 and they are being pressured to do this by family friends and authority figures but as an adult I don't get to say its ok to do rude things because that guy told me so. The missionaries are the ones doing it and they are responsible for their own behavior.

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 01:18PM

The fact that they show up on your doorstep says your beliefs are not as valid as theirs. Why would someone subject themselves to that type of discrimination? No one is obligated to answer the door to them.

They expect you to have an open mind to their message, yet wouldn't dream of extending that same courtesy to others regarding their points of view.

And the real kicker. If someone came to the missionary's home peddling a different religion than Mormonism, would he/she be appreciative of it and accepting? Oh, the irony.

I have read some missionary blogs and they so don't respect people cancelling lessons with them or telling them not to come back or reneging on a baptism. They call the people lazy, not knowing what's good for them, deceived by Satan. All the things said about exmormons are said about potential investigators. They seem to have no sense of humanity or empathy. It's all about me, me, me. One missionary bitched about a whole town involved with harvest which meant everyone was working full time. He complained how hard that made it to teach people, how bored they were, and how dare they cancel lessons. Don't they know how important the gospel is?

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: September 24, 2014 01:27PM

Sorry, I meant this as a reply to darkprincess.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.