Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 08:03PM

The first year we moved to southern Idaho, someone secret santa my family. We think it was their ward. Could the same thing happen again in the wake of my Moms passing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 08:09PM

it may if they think you are in need. Would that bother you a lot?

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 08:12PM

Tupperwhere Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it may if they think you are in need. Would that
> bother you a lot?

Not really

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 08:18PM

if it happens, it happens. Not much you can do about it actually.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 11:27PM

don't worry if it does. It is okay to be weary, as your TBM dad and brother have been using you mom's passing into guilting you to come back to church.

You can't control another person's intentions. So enjoy their present no matter what.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: December 04, 2013 11:38PM

If it helps than forget the ulterior motives that come with Mormon giving. Just assume that they are being kind just for the hell of it.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 05, 2013 02:21AM

In one my early years in the ward where I met DH, there was a collection of items and money for a family who had been robbed and they were in truly desperate need. (At holiday time.)

We knew them fairly well and while the dad was a decent guy, I knew that the mom was an absolute WITCH when her fangs weren't showing. I, personally, wouldn't have given her a bent penny.

But the entire family was in a dreadful situation. Dad had lost his job, mom (of course) didn't work, and they had numerous children. We contributed $100 anonymously to what turned out to be a huge basket that helped them survive the Christmas season.

Maybe the ward's need to GIVE is even stronger than your need not to get ANYTHING from them. Try to give them credit for that decent impulse, anyway.

And you and Poncho keep on looking after each other, OK?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: December 05, 2013 02:34AM

Thinking of you and Poncho, SII, and hoping that things will begin to ease up soon--even with the added stress of the holidays.

Tevai

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: December 05, 2013 02:40AM

You probably deal with your share of annoying contacts. I know that I do. If something positive should result from your one-time affiliation with COJCOLDS, consider it the gift horse in whose mouth you don't really need to look.

And try to have a merry Christmas, happy holidays, or however you choose to think of the upcoming season, as much as you can under your family's present difficult circumstances.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: December 05, 2013 02:46AM

I know it's difficult, but try not to worry about things that haven't happened yet.

I sometimes find myself worrying about all kinds of things that end up never happening. It wears me out, and it was all for nothing.

If you find yourself worrying about things that haven't happened, or you can't control, try to make yourself stop. Listen to some music or play with your dog.

It's amazing all the things people worry about. Then, later we find out we didn't need to worry at all. Things turn out ok.

You are a good son. Your dad is lucky to have you. Especially because he probably needs help staying on track with his illness. He needs to learn to let go of the whole Mormon thing though. Especially when he's trying to get you to go back. He's worrying about something he has no control over. See how it works? Hopefully he will be able to let go of that someday and just be happy that you are there for him. Mormonism is very hard on families.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.