Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 08:38AM

Mormonism: practicing quackery since 1830.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 10:42PM

From snake oil to essential oils in just 180 years!

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 10:17AM

Not sure about Young Living or the other company. I can tell you though that doTERRA already saw this coming and has already republished and reissued materials to be in compliance with the FDA guidelines. Also spent 2 hours at convention going over this stuff.

I remember when we started that the training was making sure not to say it cured anything just offer suggestions, but when you have 1 million reps some are going to exaggerate and do anything to make a sign up, much like some missionaries will.

What i suppose now will happen is when a rep consistently goes against the guidelines is that 1st they will get a warning then if they continue they will be 'excommunicated' from membership.

So if you were salivating about doTERRA or Young Living folding next week I hate to burst your bubble. YL had been at it for 23 years. The only reason why there is a clamp down now is that there is more money in the mix. That does draw attention. Essential Oils are now 1% of the entire pharmaceutical industry. And they really can't be regulated the same as your prozac. I can't recreate Prozac. But anyone and there dog could get the equipment to make an essential oil. After talking with DB he could probably do it. Guy or Gal is smart.

Some people do have amazing results and then when in their excitement that they solved some health ailment WILL think and tell people it will cure everything and in their enthusiasm go overboard.

So now when someone comes over and says they got gout for example, the rep has to say "here try this, it may or may not help. It's helped me, but all bodies are different.."

Instead of "try this...It will cure you!"

Actually the fact that the FDA is a government agency but they haven't evaluated the claims and it's not a drug from big pharmaceutical that has gone through an FDA approval process IS A BIG SELLING POINT.

Usually your tea party or ultra conservative types who don't trust any government agency and think the FDA is in big pharmas pocket as it is.

So yeah this might actually bring in more people ironically...especially in the Mormon Corridor.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 10:23AM by ultra.

Posted by: SB ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 11:27AM

Thanks Ultra. I'm not that smart, I am however logical and yes anyone can make aromatic oils.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 11:48AM

Didn't someone post a while back about the doTERRA founders' legal troubles for treating and worsening a child's firework burns with oils? What happened with that?

Date: September 25, 2014 01:07PM

That's not true. I can answer that as I know the parent's personally. They are NOT the founders. They are very high up though in the network part of it.

They used essential oils in conjunction with the OTHER therapys. At no time did they use essential oils only nor suggest the doctors don't do their thing.

Their son is really into chemistry and mixed two substances he shouldn't causing an explosion.

The oils worked with good results actually in the healing process, though he will have complications for the rest of his life I am afraid. The oils in no way caused further damage. I've been following this issue since it started.

Now if there was ANOTHER firework incident with a founder I haven't heard about it.

Date: September 25, 2014 01:13PM

I have to side with you guys on the oils and ebola as I have been doing some research since this issue came up and there really are no studies where essential oils have been used against ebola. So anyone saying that it prevents ebola NEEDS to have their membership in YL or doTerra terminated.

Posted by: hoosierute ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 02:35PM

Classic pseudo-science thinking:

"They used essential oils in conjunction with the OTHER therapys. At no time did they use essential oils only nor suggest the doctors don't do their thing."

"The oils worked with good results actually in the healing process"

Translation: They used oils in conjunction with actual treatments so any negative side effect is likely due to the convential treatment. However, he saw some benefits from the treatments so naturally those were due to the oils...

Date: September 26, 2014 10:23PM

Let's reduce it to an equation

x + y = z

x = essential oil
y = conventional treaments
z = improved condition of patient

either x or y could be zero. either one could actually be negative, if offset by the other.

examples:

-1 + 4 = 3
0 + 3 = 3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2014 10:26PM by donbagley.

Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 01:36AM

"Essential oils are now 1% of the entire pharmaceutical industry."

Hmm...essential oils (at least those sold via mlm)are exactly 0(ZERO)% of the legitimate pharmaceutical industry.

They do, however, make up a huge chunk of the "I'm in no way a trained medical professional, but this oil I sell cures everything. They told me at my conference!" quackery industry.

Posted by: wyoguy ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:44AM

doTERRA- distilled from datura, a.k.a. deadly nightshade?

Posted by: SB ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 11:23AM

About time. When the FDA steps in, it usually means that the situation is really bad. These scams live in the shadows of saying "we can't control what our sales people do", but that why there is labeling on products.

Essential oils is the latest in a long list of cons that operate on people's ignorance, gullibility and the confirmation bias effect, just like the LDS church.

To claim that they can cure the ebola virus is so wrong on so many levels. I saw one of these moronic people decide to have their first baby at home with just oils, after 48 hours of labor, guess where this western medicine crusader ended up? in the ER. Her baby almost dies from distress. Oh yeah, she refused to have the baby immunized, because it causes autism. How does she know that? Her upline told her that her cousin's second baby's first husband swore it was true...and she read it online.

I have nothing but contempt at people that without medical education make important life decisions for others by lying and then making a direct profit from it...and they call the FDA unethical.

If the FDA does not wipe out these idiots, mother nature will.

Date: September 25, 2014 11:55AM

Okay now i am going to rant. I do the oils..But I personally have gone rounds with these anti vaccine nuts in and out of the oil scene. I also own a Daycare and we constantly get these parents who don't want to vaccinate because they fear autism. Herd immunity is weakening because of these people and we are getting more outbreaks of diseases we had under control. I use oils it's true. . But i also get vaccinated because of my day job. I went rounds with a staff member who was questioning vaccinating her kid. She was free to do what she wanted but her kid wouldn't be in my center.

There is absolutely no connection between autism and vaccinations.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 12:12PM

Ebola cases appear to be doubling every 3 weeks.

I'm not convinced we are getting the full story when we are being assured that Ebola cannot be spread by droplet nuclei.

There are an awful lot of doctors coming down with Ebola, you'd think they of all people would know how to observe sterile techniques at all times.

IF it turns out that Ebola can be spread through the air, we are looking at a potentially major disaster.
I hope I'm wrong.

Oh and btw, oils and other quack methods are not helpful.

Posted by: story100 ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 08:33PM

The doctors know how to protect themselves, but the facilities lack the protective supplies and many do not have adequate soap and water.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 01:15PM

Utahans keep electing Hatch. He is the biggest shill for MLMs in the government business.

Posted by: may the oil be with you ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 03:51PM

You guys have got it all bassackwards. Doterra and Young Living essential oils won't stop Ebola, but extra vigrin olive oil, consecrated by Peter Priesthood, will. Stops it dead in it tracks, dad gum it. OTherwise they'd have pulled the Elders and Sisters out already. It makes them Ebola proof. Get a clue y'all.

Posted by: hfo ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 06:51PM

We've been using and selling quality essential oils for about 10 years, but not through one of those crazy multi level marketing things, so prices are inexpensive.

My wife is a true believer in essential oils (to a point), I believe they can do quite a bit of good for the right ailments. For other things they don't do a thing (for me at least).

Neither of us though believe that they are a cure all. A good case can be made that some are anti-bacterial. Some claims are made for them being anti-viral, but I personally haven't seen any evidence for that.

Neither of us would even think of trying them for Ebola.

From what I've seen the best approach with that thing is to try to get your level of health up to par before it gets here, then practice perfect hygiene if it arrives, and hope it doesn't go airborne. If it does then you'd better prepare to not go out for a while.

I kind of wish the world wasn't so polarized with respect to alternative health. You just have to be smart and really do the research. Unless you do you'll be in trouble whether you go the allopathic approach, or with alternate methods. Money sucking machines on both sides count on you not doing your own (open minded) research.

Date: September 25, 2014 07:01PM

The claims of MLMs are so cliched, I avoid them like the plague.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 10:40PM

The Black Death, long ago, started as a disease requiring being bitten by an infected flea. Then it changed into an infection spread through the air by infected individuals. Once that happened it spread very rapidly and killed a great many people world wide. With our modern transportation, we could have a much worse epidemic if Ebola becomes transmitted through the air. Hopefully that does not occur.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2014 10:40PM by michaelc1945.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 25, 2014 10:51PM

essential oils are totally non-essential

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 12:54AM

I agree, if anything, they're an example of the placebo effect, but better smelling in some cases.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 02:08AM

""Your consultants promote your above mentioned dōTERRA Essential Oil products for conditions including, but not limited to, viral infections (including ebola), bacterial infections, cancer, brain injury, autism, endometriosis, Grave’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease, tumor reduction, ADD/ADHD, and other conditions that are not amenable to self-diagnosis and treatment by individuals who are not medical practitioners. Moreover, your consultants redirect consumers to your website, www.doterra.com, to register as a customer or member (i.e., consultant), and to purchase your dōTERRA Essential Oil products."" - I am going to send this part to my TBM cousin. She thinks Do Terra is a gift from gods. She has breast cancer and it hasn't helped at all (IMAGINE THAT!!) but she continues to think that anyday now, the cancer will be gone thanks to doTerra. I hate companies that get by with this kind of crap. People with cancer are vulnerable so these as*holes go after them. These creeps should be shot in the fact at point blank range and YES IT DO MEAN THAT. The world doesn't need trash like them.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 03:02AM

Hatch: Bought & Paid For by the MLMs / Supplement industries.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 01:14PM

It is reassuring to think those who work for the FDA and other agencies have more integrity than to be bought and paid for by big corporations, unlike politicians....and a bit naïve.

Posted by: Greylady ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 09:55AM

I use Young Living Essential Oils. I particularly like Lavender dabbed behind my ears when i cannot sleep and peppermint oil on my knee for arthritis pain. I absolutely do not believe they are a replacement for doctors and medicine and i get really frustrated with people who post on FB that their kid has a fever of 103 and is coughing a lot, which oil should I use on them... take them to the damn doctor!!!!

I especially like the essential oils in a diffuser becuase i cannot use aerosols in my house, and no artificially scented things because i have birds. Diffusing the essential oils, makes my house smell nice and does not bother the birds.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 10:33AM

Lavender and peppermint are two of the least expensive essential oils you can buy.

You could save some real money by avoiding MLMs and buying them online.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 11:53AM

Yeah, and when I need sleep i jam a sprig of rosemary up my butt and when I'm sad i dab orange flavoring in my armpits. both are every bit as useful as using essential oils.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 06:43PM

"Five companies" are mentioned at the end of the article, but I only see three company names. Which ones are "mormon"? And where is the evidence that these are mormon companies? I'm assuming they are, but would like some references for backup.

Thanks.

The companies mentioned are:
Natural Solutions Foundation (markets "nano silver")
doTERRA
Young Living

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: September 26, 2014 06:50PM

More information here:
http://www.quadrivium-supplies.com/blog/multi-level-marketing-scams/

Excerpt below:

There are no purity standards for essential oils.

There is no certifying body for essential oils.

Both of the major MLM essential oil companies certify their own oils as pure.

Claiming that oils are objectively pure because they are subjected to Gas Chromatograph, Mass Spectrometer testing, and heavy metals analysis (by their own lab, naturally) is profoundly misleading.

Essential oils are not graded. Terms like therapeutic grade, aromatherapy grade, and fragrance grade have no meaning outside of being marketing buzzwords.

Essential oils should not be used undiluted on the skin, and should not be taken internally. Period, the end, no caveats or “except for….” statements.

There are no essential oils that have been certified as safe for consumption – see above, where there is no certifying body for essential oils.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.