Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Xd@10 ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 03:51AM

This is a concern that brought me to this site last June, I have been so stunned by this I wanted to ask but have not wanted to at the same time because Im still so shocked. I was approached by a family member and other men who seemed to be authoritarian, of TSCC and told to repent, return to church or submit to a blood atonement in order to put things right with the church. How should I take this? Im both hurt and shocked. I`m also a retired woman who lives alone. I wrote my go to hell letter to the GA seventeen years ago. I thought everything was on an even keel so to speak. I wouldnt bother you, you dont bother me for a long time. Then it seemed as though contact from TBM family members started to become more confrontational, It reached a point where I told them to back off. that they had the right to believe what they wanted, as do I. The response was the previously mentioned invitation for which I do not care to participate. You who know the mentality and the motivations of the good people of tscc tell me is this now a trend? Several different topics would be brought up about mormon doctrine no matter my response it would become a debate at best. I finally stopped responding to anyone. I have broken all ties at this point in time. I even did not attend the funeral of a much loved family friend in order to avoid a confrontation. How concerned should I be? The family member is not general aurhority but he is not low profile either. I don`t want to name anyone but I well if need be. Advice anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 03:58AM

You'll get better advice than this, but truly the way this is explained makes it a criminal matter.

If in the Mormon corridor make sure you are dealing with a non-Mormon and report the crime.

Amen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 04:00AM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 04:05AM

If you feel that the people who have threatened you could be serious with this threat, that there really is a possibility that they might harm you, I would definetly go to the police where I could have it documented that this threat has occurred. I would also get some advice from the police as to their suggestions on how you should proceed to keep safe.

Be careful and please keep us posted with updates of any changes as they occur.

Posted by: yeah right. ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 05:10AM

I am completely skeptical of the OP. I would have called the police before seeking advice from RFM.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 09:33AM

Agree. This smells fishy.

Mormons are not going to go around threatening blood atonement. It doesn't even fit unless she murdered someone herself.

If this is actually true, the OP received a veiled death threat. Not.

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 07:23AM

Xd, I am not sure whether you or the person who said it realize, but "blood atonement" means killing you in a way that spills your blood. It was reserved for serious crimes back in Brigham Young's day. If you think that is what yhe person who said it meant then go to the police.

TSCC is currently going through a desperate attempt to re-activate people on their member lists. If you have not formally resigned then it would explain why they have cotacted you recently. I recommend following the instructions in the sticky thread at the top of the page to get off their member list.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 07:50AM

The police may demand some sort of physical proof, like a letter or something more than just a voiced threat. The person would likely just deny it and may even try to turn it around on you and say, "No, they made the threat, not me."

I would be very careful and definitely avoid this person like the plague. But I would definitely document the date and time and exactly what happened and if anything else turns up, where you do have something tangible to give to the police, you should do so immediately.

As others have mentioned, you may still want to report it to the police, just so that it can be on record and you can ask for their advice.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 09:03AM

Xd@10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was approached by a family member and other men who seemed to be authoritarian, of TSCC and told to repent, return to church or submit to a blood atonement in order to put things right with the church.

This is a threat and I would take it seriously. First, write everything down that you can recall about this incident. Make a copy to keep for yourself. Go to your local police station and make your report. Ask for a restraining order against your relative and any other individuals in this group that you can identify.

If you feel that it would be productive to have a meeting with your relative's bishop, stake president, etc. about this matter, then I would do so.

Do not open the door to your home unless it is someone that you have an appointment to see. You can talk to people who knock through your closed and locked door. You are under no obligation to open your door. Make sure that your doors have latches and chains. Work on maintaining 360 degree awareness whenever you are outside of your home.

Consider any additional safety measures that may be needed. Carry your cell phone on your person whenever you are outside of your home. You might consider one of those emergency alert systems that seniors often carry with them. You might want to get a large, protective dog such as a German Shepard or a Rottweiler. You might want to carry pepper spray, take self defense classes, or learn how to shoot a gun.

You also might consider moving very far away. I personally would not want to live in such a repressive atmosphere. There are many pleasant places to retire where you would feel safe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2013 11:37AM by summer.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 24, 2013 11:18AM

write everything down that transpired, including names and when it happened. Give this to police or someone you trust. Depending on the situation, maybe you could let these crazy people know that you have shared information about the confrontation and that if anything ever happens to you, they will be suspects.

HOWEVER, first seek advice from someone who knows best how to deal with psychopaths, preferable someone who can profile them. Sometimes it can back fire to confront them in any way (including getting a restraining order) and it's best not to allow any contact. I certainly wouldn't have any more religious discussions with these people.

See "The Gift of Fear": http://www.amazon.com/The-Gift-Fear-Gavin-Becker/dp/0440226198

Best of luck. The fact that it took you this long to even talk about it anonymously shows how upsetting this was. Please be sure not to give out identifying personal information on this forum.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.