Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: littletommymonson ( )
Date: December 29, 2013 06:45PM

During his time Joseph Smith spent years running from The Law. Dodging arrest warrants, escaping from jail and using his position to thwart those who would being him to justice.

By the time he died in the gunfight at Carthage, how many arrest warrants did he have out on him? What jurisdictions were looking for him?

Can you imagine the uproar today if even one of the GA's was hiding from the law? Evading the sheriff or marshall and having his friends lie for him?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 11:40AM

Nowadays, they can afford to pay to make that kind of thing disappear, if needed.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 02:46PM

I'm surprised there isn't better history collected on this.

One still encounters TBMs online who claim there were no convictions. I'd like to see some more facts.

Posted by: Hanklee ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 04:07PM

The keystone to mormonism book had copies of some of these warrants. I don't know of a source that has that exact number.

If you emailed Grant Palmer on the mormonthink.com website he might have a number. Or at least have a contact for who has tracked them down most likely have photographs.

The Tanners might know.

Posted by: I believed this all, once... ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 06:44PM

JS was wanted for questioning regarding arson, ect. in Missouri but bribed the guards to let him escape.

After the Kirkland Bank disaster, 200+ lawsuits were filed against him for bank fraud.

Steve Benson would be able to tell you the name of the lawyer Smith hired to defend him from the time in Nauvoo he had the printing press destroyed.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: December 30, 2013 07:24PM

One of his favorite lawyers just before he died was Daniel H. Wells - later of fame relating to MMM and twenty years as 2nd counselor in the FP. Even the street next to the Nauvoo Temple is named for him! BY even gave Wells the favorite wife of JD Lee.

As for outstanding warrants at JS's death, they included not only those relating to destroying the printing press but for Treason in Missouri and in Nauvoo for adultery and bigamy (filed prior to the printing press and resultant charges).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.