Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 12:43PM

Rave reviews for Meet The Mormons!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/meet_the_mormons/reviews/?type=user

And I'm sure they are all Mormons too!

Do we need to post some reviews there to make it a little more balanced? ;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 12:46PM

Only if we've actually seen the movie.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 12:51PM

I think the general public is smart enough to be able to tell that mormons are trying to stack the deck in their favor. Having all five-star and glowing reviews is going to strike the average person as very suspicious since the very title of the movie reveals it as a proselytizing tool (obvious to everyone but mormons apparently).

Once various non-mormons are dragged to this movie by friends or family, I'm sure the tone of the reviews will change.

Posted by: gungholierthanthou ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 01:03PM

Check this out--a non-mormon review at Fandango (http://www.fandango.com/meetthemormons_175726/moviereviews?pn=3):
More like six very sad stories...
By welltravledprog168
Written September 26, 2014
This movie has little or nothing to offer anyone who's not already a Mormon. I saw it in a private screening, and found it to be nothing but an over-the-top PR piece for the Mormon church that's trying to make itself seem less "weird" to non-mormons. And it doesn't even succeed at that. A complete waste of time.

I'm amazed how much google time it took to find a single negative review. The TSCC has truly flooded social media in an attempt to create buzz. They are nearly as savvy as ISIS in their use of the internet.

I really sound snarky, huh?

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 02:53PM

Yeah, I think Godwin pretty much includes ISIS now
:)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 04:49PM

Yeah, that was me :) Somebody needed to provide some balance...

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 01:11PM

I truly can't imagine anyone but Mormons paying to see this. Out here on the east coast it's not on anyone's radar. No way will they show this in theaters. The only way anyone out here has heard of it is because the TBMs are posting about it on their FB page. Other than that I guarantee the nevermos have not heard about it.

I love not living in the morridor!

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 01:13PM

As long as it's reviewed by TBM's it will receive high marks. Until non TBM's, ex-mo's and never mo's see it and give reviews it will continue have positive reviews.

Thing is, the ex-mo's and non-mo's want see it so that leaves the non-TBM's. Give it time and see where it ends up. If the negative feedback starts to increase then that may be a good indication of just how many non-tbm's their are.

Posted by: outsider ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 01:18PM

TBM will see other TBM's facebook feeds and think they are doing well. How little do they know what a tiny footprint they have in the world.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 02:02PM

Just today I had a friend (Who is TBM) post a few negative statements about the film. He said it sounded pretty pointless and that only mormons would like it.

Minutes later tons of mormons were attacking him, bearing testimony, sending links about how great the film really is(Even though probably none of them have seen it)

The original poster is now retracting his statements and even just shared a link to Elder Holland's statements on the video.

It was a really weird exchange to witness.

That's how a cult works, I guess.

"Oh look a dissenting viewpoint, let's panic!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2014 02:03PM by nonsequiter.

Posted by: icedtea ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 02:26PM

On Rotten Tomatoes, all you have to do is click on "ALL CRITICS" to see that exactly NO critics have reviewed this film. No websites outside of Utah are talking about it. Even the Utah websites and the official movie website (which looks very amateurish, btw) are only getting handfuls of comments.

This movie comes out in two weeks (same weekend as "Dracula Untold"), but there don't seem to be any national press releases, ad campaigns, etc. They do have a trailer on YouTube, at least. Their PR team seems to be not doing much to promote the film outside of Utah.

Even worse, the movie has a runtime of only 78 minutes, but tickets will cost as much as any other feature film. Who in the world is going to show up that's not already drinking the KoolAid?

What other religious group feels the need to produce a feature film and put it in theaters just to explain that they're "normal" people?

Posted by: Duke of Earl Grey ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 02:38PM

I'm sure this movie was in the pipeline for a while, but I would bet anything that the main reason the film was titled "Meet the Mormons" was so that the British TV documentary of the same name, which aired earlier this year and was NOT a glowing propaganda piece, would be harder to find. I had to get halfway down the second page of Google results before I found a link to it:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/meet-the-mormons/episode-guide

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 03:03PM

I thought the same thing, especially because the titles are the same.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 10:54AM

Excellent observation you two... The exact naming of the the film as the British documentary will assist in making that former work more difficult to find in Internet searches.

I wonder if there is a copyright issue here?

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 01:11PM

No copyright issue with names.

Posted by: arend ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 04:20PM

Check the reviewer profiles on that Rotten Tomatoes page. Only the bottom two are visible and the only film they have ever reviewed is: Meet the Mormons.

Just obeying the Profit and doing their bit for the cult.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 04:50PM

I thought the Mormon church is opposed to masturbation.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 09:28AM

Mental masturbation is ok so long as it is faith promoting.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 05:02PM

The reviews all sound the same, like they were told what to write:

Inspiring
Non-preachy
Uplifting

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 05:03PM

the internet missionaries have been busy.

Will this review show the world just how much TSCC lies ?

Posted by: generationofvipers ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 05:41PM

Review from Dave:

"This movie corrects a lot of misconceptions about Mormons. It also illustrates the benefits of living the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It shows that even very imperfect people can have joy return to their lives when they begin to make correct choices. Mormons embrace other cultures and enjoy the diversity regardless of where members might be from."

The benefits of living the gospel of Jesus Christ. What, like take no thought for the morrow, turn the other cheek, help the despised and outcasts?

What the hell would a Mormon know about "living the gospel of Jesus Christ?"

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 05:56PM

Living the "gospel" to a mormon is code for paying tithing.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 06:20PM

The phrase "make correct choices" inadvertantly reveals the judging culture of mormonism and makes life sound like it is a true/false exam. Correct vs. incorrect rather the many shades which actually exist in life such as: selfish, stupid, rash, ok, good, better, wisest.

Speaking as a never-mo, I've never troubled myself with wondering if I was making "the correct choice" in a matter - I choose what I deem to be the best or wisest choice *for me or my family* in a given situation.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 06:09PM

So how do you comment on this?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 06:13PM

I wonder how many people will think that instead of a movie the church could have use that money to actually help people? A food bank, a soup kitchen? It's truly sad and shows the mormon church is just about self promotion and not about helping the community.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 08:54PM

Wouldn't it be wonderful if LD$, Inc donated 100% of the proceeds generated from this propaganda piece to a Bona Fide, Genuine charity -- something like the Salvation Army, Red Cross, Save the Children, etc.?

At least it would give a purpose to such a shameless self-promoting piece of nauseous propaganda.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 09:53AM

The church is supposedly donating a part of the profits to the Red Cross. My guess is that the leadership will be making a token donation, and that the financials will be manipulated so that there is little to no profit to be had.

Posted by: O'Brien ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 09:57AM

You cracked the code!

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 08:50PM

Maybe you folks in Utard care about this film, but I live out here in the real world - far from the Morridor - and trust me, we don't even care enough about this film to bother going to Rotten Tomatoes to see what in the heck they have to say.

In fact, we care so little about the film that nobody in my neck of the woods even knows that it has been made in the first place.

So don't worry about this propaganda flick.

Outside of the Morridor, nobody cares.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 09:03PM

+1

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 09:11PM

Just Mormons patting each other on the back inside their little bubble. It's the same thing they always do.

No need for us to do anything to counter it, because Mormons and ex-Mormons are the only ones paying any attention.

Posted by: ExMoBandB ( )
Date: September 27, 2014 11:22PM

We should all post what dk and southern exMo said.

There have been movies and documentaries about Microsoft, Apple, Facebook, G.E, and other businesses, so let the Mormons get into the mix. As far as I'm concerned, they are just defining themselves more and more as a business cult, and not a religion.

This has been a litmus test, which has identified the methods of the Mormon internet missionaries. I do think this would be obvious, even to Mormons, that they flood the internet with pro-cult propaganda.

Posted by: SwiperXE ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 09:44AM

So this is movie about Mormons made by Mormons for Mormons?

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 11:37AM

Oh, come on now, mormons are not not that transparent! <sarcasm>

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 10:06AM

It's one thing for the church to pepper the airwaves and Internet with ads. That costs the viewer precious little to see them.

However, to go to the movie theatres and buy a ticket to see a bad propaganda film costs time and money. I hardly ever go to the movies anymore because: a) it's $15 a ticket now, which is more than I pay for HBO every month; b) the showtimes are limiting and it's a pain to get there and park.

Maybe if MTM shows up on TV I might watch it out of morbid curiosity, but to actually spend the time, money and effort to go the theatre is absurd. Other than die-hard Mormons obeying the prophet, who is seeing this? If you are only preaching to the converted, what is the point?

I've even seen TBMs joking "Thanks, I've already met them."

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 10:58AM

Battlefield Earth 2: Meet The Mormons

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 01:22PM

How's this even possible!? It hasn't even gone to movie theaters yet!? Watch it drop really fast after it hits movie theaters! I have a hard time shallowing that's its "Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes!Just wait until real movie critics grade it! Not TBM's!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.