Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 08:14AM

Sitting quietly with my morning coffee, I found the attached on the front page of the metro section:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/09/27/mormon-feminists-celebrate-contemplate-anniversary-movement/wRujOtEfU7JeYTiiiRVrgK/story.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:54PM

I feel that these women do the most harm. It is a lie that a women can be equal and empowered within the church. These so called Mormon feminists are more deluded than your run of the mill Molly Mormon women.

In my professional life, I am respected, I deal with complicated situations in which real lives are on the line. I am also respected by my husband in my home and have equal say in everything. Everything.

In the church world, I'll use my time in YWP to illustrate, I was micromanaged, patronized and condescended to. Everything we did had to be with the approval of the PH. PH had the final say on everything. Period. And I also was always uncomfortable with the fact the PH would just show up at our camp outs at night because us helpless women needed watching over and protecting.

Not to mention the idea that once my son turns 12, he has more "authority" than me. I don't think so. My son is growing to respect women as equals.

In answer to Ulrich's question "Have you made a difference?" I would argue not for the better. There is no place in the LDS church for enlightened, strong, independent women. None. Instead of helping these women out, there are justifications for them to stay.

Kate Kelly made some movement, only because she made the church look bad and they can't have that. And while she got ex'd, now women can pray in GC and there is a general women's meeting. Both to me are laughable. A pathetic non-gesture to shut them up.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 03:07PM

I always felt that if the Mormon Feminists could truly influence the church, that itself ought to be proof to them it is not true since the prophet is caving to them, and a God who knows right from wrong would never have done this in the first place.

Posted by: Arwen ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 04:37PM

I love Mormon Feminists. A lot of them end up leaving the church eventually...at least from the friends I know. :)

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 04:47PM

I hope more women leave the church because of their feminism. TSCC is patriarchal, and their God is male. This goes all the way back to their purported roots to father Abraham. It would have to be an absolute revolution in dogma and thought for them to change. I doubt it will happen. There is no solution for gender equality within Mormonism.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 09:14AM

We had a quick exchange. She shared with me the info that, although not reported, quite a few of the women she met though her reporting were exmos who stayed involved with the feminists. So it does seem to help them out while allowing them to stay close with somewhat like minded "sisters".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 09:14AM by msmom.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.