Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 01:20PM

I swear I've read this before. Does anyone remember where this is?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sweet Spirit ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 01:24PM

"I don't know that we teach that. "

Date: September 28, 2014 01:26PM

Maybe I learned it in Bott's class :(.

Date: September 28, 2014 01:31PM

Probably. I never had the pleasure of taking his racist course.

Date: September 28, 2014 01:36PM

I don't think this is the exact quote that I'd heard, but it is along the same lines.

Mark E Peterson:

“Is there reason then why the type of birth we receive in this life is not a reflection of our worthiness or lack of it in the pre-existent life?… Can we account in any other of way for the birth of some of the children of God in darkest Africa, or in flood-ridden China, or among the starving hordes of India, while some of the rest of us are born here in the United States? We cannot escape the conclusion that because of performance in our pre-existence some of us are born as Chinese, some as Japanese, some as Indians, some as Negroes, some as Americans, some as Latter-day Saints. These are rewards and punishments, fully in harmony with His established policy in dealing with sinners and saints, rewarding all according to their deeds….
“Let us consider the great mercy of God for a moment. A Chinese, born in China with a dark skin, and with all the handicaps of that race seems to have little opportunity. But think of the mercy of God to Chinese people who are willing to accept the gospel. In spite of whatever they might have done in the pre-existence to justify being born over there as Chinamen, if they now, in this life, accept the gospel and live it the rest of their lives they can have the Priesthood, go to the temple and receive endowments and sealings, and that means they can have exaltation. Isn’t the mercy of God marvelous?” [Emphasis mine. Coincidentally, this was delivered to the Convention of Teachers of Religion on the College Level, Brigham Young University, August 27, 1954.]

Read more: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/faithpromotingrumor/2008/03/byu-religion-dean-on-premortal-life-part-i-race-and-nobility/#ixzz3EdIDV8HU

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2014 01:36PM by Steven.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 07:56AM

'all the handicaps of that race????'

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 01:51PM

I don't know where the reference is, but TBMs are still getting the message nonetheless. In the last two weeks, I heard two TBMs say, "I wonder what great thing I must have done in the pre-existence to deserve to be a member of the church, live in the U.S., and have plenty of money to provide for myself and my family." I sort of thought the church had moved away from this type of thinking, but apparently not.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 02:32PM

I don't know of any reference for pre-existence determining level of *wealth* in this life, but this thread (shameless plug – one of mine) may be what you remember reading.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1340273

Dyer was a GA.

Date: September 28, 2014 03:03PM

That looks familiar to me, thank you for sharing it.

Date: September 28, 2014 03:07PM

I also hate when TBMs think they deserve a higher place in the a CK than other people. I once had to break up with a guy because he was so smug about how valiant he must have been in the pre-existence and how he deserved so much more than people who accept the gospel in the next life. What a douche.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 04:01PM

"I don't know where the reference is, but TBMs are still getting the message nonetheless. In the last two weeks, I heard two TBMs say, "I wonder what great thing I must have done in the pre-existence to deserve to be a member of the church, live in the U.S., and have plenty of money to provide for myself and my family."

My response, So what did the other millions of people do that have the same "blessings" that are not members?

Posted by: johnnie ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 07:09AM

The Gospel Topic on race disavows this thinking.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.