Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 11:40PM

He has an understanding of Christianity that goes far beyond that of most college trained individuals. His was the college of hard knocks. He was BIC and indoctrinated from birth by misguided but well meaning parents. He didn't fit the mold. A very smart ADD kid with a gift for art in several media. He and I had our run-ins and we even came to real blows several times. I finally told him he didn't have to attend church and this was actually the start of our entire family leaving the so called true church. As I reflected on the treatment he and another of my children received at the hands of their leaders it started questions to arise.

Advance a few years and my son is on his own but making poor decisions in life. Finally his behavior lead to his violating the law and he was incarcerated. He spent three years in prison and while there he educated himself theologically. He read the bible and learned of real Christianity from others behind bars. He had a hard time wrapping his head around the things he was learning because they did not agree with what he had been taught in the LDS church. He came home a changed man and a believer in Christianity but not of any church. He surprises me each time we now get into a deep discussion about God and Christ. He enjoys talking with my priests. I have found new respect for my son for the way he has changed his life and the way that our relationship has improved. I really am most grateful for the improvement in our relationship. I think we have both done a lot of growing during these years.

I believe if we had stayed in the church that these changes for good would not have happened. Most likely I would have written him off for a sinnful slacker who got what he deserved, but thankfully we are no longer in that group of self righteous, judgemental Mormons. I saw too many people written off when they got off the LDS pathway to God. Having been in meetings with bishoprics I have seen how individuals are discussed and the course of action that should be taken to deal with them. Most times these were very negative discussions and unloving of the individual. This is not what I now expect from God's church.

So I am thankful that my mind and heart were opened and the real truth of the Mormon church was made known to me and my family. I am also very thankful for my son whom I can now look upon with a new respect for the changes for good he has made in his life.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: reuben ( )
Date: September 28, 2014 11:45PM

congrats. sadly I don't think mormons appreaciate the role that genetic mental conditions play in our lives. they condemn those with personality types that aren't the norm for being some how inferior. Every true genius the world has ever known (Newton, DaVinci, Einstein, etc) is going to hell by mormon standards. If If I can choose to spend eternity with the likes of Boyd KKK Packer or Davinci I will always pick the latter.

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 05:42AM

It's great that you and your son have come to a new and happier relationship. Your story proves that it's never too late. :-)

I didn't have much of a relationship with my dad until I became an adult and the friendship we forged was a real joy in my life. Sadly, he passed away a while ago, but I'm happy that nothing went unsaid.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 09:54AM

I am a hard headed, imperfect man who has always had a difficult time expressing my feelings. This fault in me has hindered my relationships with all of my children and my wife. I am now approaching seventy years old. I can look back upon my life and hopefully make a few changes that can repair some of the errors I made as a young, headstrong dad. I knew it all and it was my way or the highway. I took my lead from the example of my father and late in his life he told me of his regrets as a father. I can now see what he was talking about because when we two spoke I knew he wasn't talking about me, but he was. It's too bad we don't start our lives with wisdom. That only comes with age and others have to suffer until we attain some of that quality in our lives. The undoing is a hard task. I hope I can do some of that before I go.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.