Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 12:21AM

Watched her interviews with John Dehlin today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 12:59AM

Yeah, that was a good podcast.

I've always been taught that the Tanners were akin with the spawn of the Devil. Now as a non-believer, I found her to be sincere and very knowledgeable. Just the fact that folks within the church frequented their bookstore so often should speak volumes by itself.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 01:04AM

She's very real and upfront about who she is, and what she believes. That takes great courage. Especially when standing up against the Mormon church and all they've done to try and silence her and other like her.

Try as they might, the mormon church cannot silence the truth any longer. The internet has taken Sandras message and given it to the entire planet. How I wish the internet had been around when I was a teenager. It would have changed my life forever.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:12PM

madalice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
How I wish the internet had been around when I was a teenager. It would have changed my life forever.

Thanks, madalice, for mentioning that. I wanted to second to you; though I, for one, would have liked it to have been around when I was about 5 or 6 or 7, well before baptism - ha ha - who is with me there? About 7-9 million others? OK. LIKE, why are they forcing us so much to do this? (like my sister didn't do it or my brother didn't do it or my friend didn't do it) What IS the rush? WtF!?! Who is this J. S. to worship and praise, and who doesn't (necessarily) mean Jack Sh¡P [or make any sense] (rocks in hat =not milk before meat): it's like, let's all drag each other under the water so that way we can all say we've been down together (and see the Light/ we have seen the evil it is [and the good it says it is]) and we will come out of the water together, as ONE.

Yea, it would have been so easy to "discover" or stumble across the truth in a hurry... as you are experiencing your "testimony", if those around you (knew) would teach you the truth when you were/ are young. When are preparing for a talk, and you went to YouTube, UTLM, MormonThink, exmormon.org, mormonstories, anything in the world on growth, diversity, progress, trusting in adults, what (Mormon interpretation of) family is - compared to what these Mormons are telling me it's supposed to be. I can prepare for this talk knowing its all JSBS and prepare a good one, well before the preposterous thought about me doing the sacrilegious sacrament. No mission pressure. Maybe lived differently. However, I am glad I had a feeling, as a teenager, all along, I knew it wasn't true. I just couldn't prove it. Now I don't need to, but easily could, if anyone ever asked. Thanks to ACTUAL ACCESS to THE truth. Mormonism doesn't teach the truth. You have to experience it on your own. You will find it if you look. You will be happy with the truth and can go on with life WITHOUT GAMES.

I feel so much better going straight back to Godhead, vs. having to go around the bend [and for so many the break] that is Mormonism - as in broken, unable to be fixed, built cheaply in the first place. Nothing but a mirage, a stage, backdrop or facade. It looks like something, maybe, but we know it's nothing. The internet is something.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:56PM

"moremany" wrote:
>I, for one, would have liked it to have been around when I was >about 5 or 6 or 7, well before baptism - ha ha - who is with me >there? About 7-9 million others? OK. LIKE, why are they forcing >us so much to do this?

An event from my TBM upbringing stands out in my memory. My older brother (still TBM), 16 and able to drive, woke me up one saturday morning -- there was a priesthood "service project," and he was driving us to it (shoveling chicken sh*t at the stake egg ranch), and we were going to be late.

I told him I didn't feel like going.

"You have to go," he said, "it's a priesthood obligation."

I asked if this wasn't supposed to be *volunteer* work, that we had to *volunteer* our time and muscle?

"Yes, of course," he said, "but that doesn't mean it's optional. You have to go."

No, I don't, I said. And I turned over and went back to sleep.

He was so angry I thought he was going to rip my door off the hinges as he slammed it.

He still thinks he's obligated to do everything the church asks him to. Never has time for his kids or wife because of it. Sigh.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 12:58PM

I sustain her. I mean. I do too. Her and Jerald's stories, experiences and standing (in life -vs.- TMC); not "against it", just up front about it. If the church didn't have anything to hide, we would all be saying the same thing, but it would be the 'truth', so they wouldn't be against her saying these things, because they themselves would be saying these things, instead of multiple false promises, also conflicting "stories". Forget mormon stories; think of Mormon historys, and your future, the only one you have, when you start thinking of it, and how good it will, or is, to be and to live in truth. When you stand up, others will see you standing up. I believe that is a universal truth. It is what is - real, alive and in the moment. They serve a great service. I too am glad {they are} she is there. Old & Young people - and a diversity - need others to look up to. Because they too are on the verge of someday being looked up to, starting NoW... for that is the only time to wake up or begin waking up. Her podcasts are great, as I know-hear are the bookstore and UTLM- Utah lighthouse ministries.

She seems like a very nice lady.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2014 01:00PM by moremany.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 29, 2014 03:38PM

It's just too damn bad it took years for me to see with my REAL eyes and not my spirtual eyes concerning the LDS Bull-$hit conjob created by Joseph Smith. He had good intentions in creating a job for himself of importance given he failed at becoming successful in anything else. Oh, but could he tell a story.

Posted by: TannerLover2 ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 05:50AM

There has been so much acclaim for the CES Letter by Jeremy Runnells, but he admitted he got most of his information from the Tanners.

I would like to see Sandra credited for all of the work she and Jerald have done over MANY years, instead of crediting someone else who reformatted their work and is receiving accolades for it.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 08:59AM

John should ask same caliber of Q's about her faith too....
She is completely oblivious to the fact that her belief is
mired in fantasies as Mormonism...

To me this is the greatest mystery about humans; mocking, discrediting a faith and yet their thinking completely stops when it comes to their own faith....

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 10:12AM

I had lunch with Sandra Tanner during the Exmo foundation conf, and I will say one major difference between her current faith and the Mormon faith is that she doesn't advocate brainwashing or psychological manipulation of believers. She has her beliefs and she just lets the rest of us live as we will.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 01:51PM

THANK YOU!! It drives me crazy when people categorize all religions as bad as/as equal to Mormonism. I don't care if someone thinks all religion is bunk but there are varying degrees of bad. That's like comparing Obama to Kim Jong Il because we all know all politicians are corrupt. You may want nothing to do with politics but you have to admit, that would be like comparing apples to outhouses.

Mormonism is bad because of the mind control elements that are not present in most other religions. I may not agree with what someone believes about God or the meaning of life - I may think it's ridiculous. But if it isn't harming anyone, so what if they believe it? Mormonism IS harming people - that's the problem. One of the hardest things for some people to overcome when leaving Mormonism is the need to make fun of, put down and belittle people who believe differently. But while Mormonism may compare with JWs or Scientologists, they are a different beast than Methodists or Unitarians for the reasons you mentioned.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 03:33PM

I'm always impressed with religionists who can be friends with an atheist and not even feel compelled to convert them. Meanwhile some of us agnostic/atheists have more compulsion to teach them a lesson or two.

I am finally getting over that, I think. I hope.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 09:38PM

She's a very nice lady.

I don't have the same beliefs that she does. But we agreed that religion and politics don't mix.

She explicitly said, she gets really bothered when her church gets involved in politics.

I liked her.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 01:05AM

Thanks all of you, for making this particularly behind-the-Zion-Curtain, below-the-radar get-together the most interesting and rewarding one yet. I was proud to be the cabdriver for this one...

And a big thanks to Will Bagley; here's the background: With Dave's incredible presentation running over, I slipped up to his office (I needed the exercise anyway) to let him know the score. I was hoping to get brother Pat as well, but he couldn't make it.

So as we were walking into the Doubletree Will said, "Hello Sandra Tanner."

Including her was a no-brainer...

I hope to see a lot of you again next time.

SLC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2014 01:06AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: rocketscientist ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 09:13AM

I was in the bishopric in the 70's when I was given "Mormonism-Shadow or Reality" by a member of the ward. She was sure I would know what to do with it. I started reading the chapter on the BOA a few days later and I was on my way out.

No internet, just a big book. You have to check out that book because it was so poorly formatted and so difficult to read that most would dismiss it out of hand. But, all it took was a couple of minutes and you understood the depth of information it contained. And it was devastating information. Just the facts, no fluff, no preaching.

Thank you Jerald and Sandra!

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 09:32AM

I have that book. It's one of my treasures.

Posted by: Controlissues ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 09:37AM

I have never been a Mormon. In one of the darkest nights, and dawns, of my life, while staying with Mormon family after my brother was shockingly killed and trying to stop them from burying him, a Never Mo, out of their church, I reached out to this woman on email. (I had seen her only on one video months before.) My subject heading was "Help". I went into a half sleep thinking that that was that. I was hugely surprised to get an email from her in the AM with a list of former Mormons I could call, their names and home numbers, to try to get through my ordeal. Her number was one of them. She was also warm, understanding, and sympathetic. I sat there with tears in my eyes that this woman, a stranger, had responded so quickly and kindly to me. (My sister and her husband, upstairs, were not even speakng to me .) I will always be grateful to this lady for helping me the way she did. A class act.

Posted by: DWaters ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 01:04PM

The Tanner name was a curse word in my household growing up. I've since come to discover the Tanners to be very sincere truth seekers. Sandra reminds me of my beloved Aunt Nita too.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 30, 2014 02:05PM

The Tanners were "squeeky-clean" honest.

In the 70s or early 80s there was some talk from some
"researchers" to the effect that some of the handwriting on the
original manuscript of the BOM was in Solomon Spalding's
handwriting. On the face of it the claim was incredible
because the handwriting in question started in the middle of a
page and ended in the middle of another with handwriting from
known Joseph-Smith scribes preceding and following it. That
means somehow someone would have had to find a page, blank at
the top, with Solomon Spalding's handwriting on it and make up
the Book of Mormon text before and after to fit in.

Anyway the Church allowed some people to come in and view the
actual pages in question to settle the issue. One of the
people they invited was Jerald Tanner. They knew they could
trust him to be honest and candid--something they, themselves,
seldom are.

The best proof of the Tanners' honesty and integrity is the
pathetic attempts by some mopologists to paint them as
dishonest. Being unable to find anything of substance to use
against the Tanners they have to fall back on misrepresentations
and lies.

When I had my eyes opened about the Church in the spring of
1978 I made a bee-line to Salt Lake City and, with trepidation,
visited the Tanners' bookstore (the living-room of their house,
actually). Sandra was there and, without pushing anything,
calmly answered my questions and let me buy (no hard-sell) a
couple of books.

"Shadow or Reality" was a real eye-opener for me. I was
shocked to find that reality was not only different than I'd
been taught all my life, but the exact opposite.

Posted by: optional2 ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 10:03AM

Really enjoyed these interviews too.

http://mormonstories.org/

I appreciated listening to her in videos at youtube and articles at her website AFTER we left the Mormon church.
Love to listen to her sweet voice!

Like her articles on her website also.
http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/terminologymain.htm

also like old newspaper articles about the Mormons in History
at www.olicercowdery.com or at http://sidneyrigdon.com/dbroadhu/artindex.htm
or at http://utahgentiles.com/index.html

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 12:21PM

I met her this weekend and had lunch with her. I found her to be delightful and I did mention that from information I had received in the 70s you would think she was the wife of Satan.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 01:19PM

she and Jerald were one of the few accessible sources for the lowdown on TSCC. Their publications helped me enormously in justifying my abandonment of the corporation.

The-Internet-was-icing-on-the-cake-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 02:27PM

By no less than Will Bagley... Reports of a secret luncheon at an undisclosed location that followed are confirmed.

I'll have more on the news at 5:00.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 05:01PM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 03:08PM

Sounds like a conference report is abornin.

We're all ears Cabbie.

Anyway, I still treasure my beat up old Tanner blue bible. Back in the pre-internet 80s it was pure gold.

Remember, it was Jerald who early on called fake on the Salamander Letter which had put the lard-anointed leader's garments all in a twist.

Date: October 14, 2014 05:01PM

I like the interviews too.

However, I find it ironic that a family member has also watched these same interviews. After all is said, heard and reviewed, this family member keeps pointing out the following:

"You see, even Sandra Tanner had a spirtual experience, saw her husband, had a conversation, and it did not fit her beliefs yet it happned. So you know, there is a "mormon" God and after life.. yadda yadda."

This family member goes on to belabor the point that it helps validate mormonism.

I just have to say, well that is an intersting thing that she said, but I disagree.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 06:53PM

I remember hearing two things about her and her husband back in the day (pre-Internet):

1. Evil apostates who are doing what they do just to make money (As if Mormon church isn't interested in making $. Ha ha, hence the nickname LDS inc.!")

2. They were/are actually paid agents of the church hired to expose Mormon problems, so as to find out exactly who are the member apostates. Kinda CIA-KGB whacky conspiracy theory at first blush, but at 2nd thought, having Tanners divulge their newsletter subscription list so the head honchos know whom they could/could not trust (aka the Strengthening Members Committee) was/is I suppose possible.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 06:58PM

Me too.

I remember stumbling upon her Lighthouse Ministry website when I was attending during 2005-2007.

I thought wow there seems to be some BIG skeletons in the LDS closet! lol

Now several years later and dozens of Videos and Interviews later I have come to know more fully of the amazing woman ( and husband) who had such a big impact on my investigation.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: October 14, 2014 11:05PM

It was Sandra Tanner and her research that set me free. A true hero, of the modern day. It is a genuine person that would take on such a task against a giant. I am so grateful and appreciate the light she offers.

Date: October 15, 2014 12:53AM

what is funny us that all the doctrine stuff we talk about was well debunked back in the 60's through 70's. We just didn't know the Tanners did all the heavy lifting. I wish I had known about prior to the mission part of life. Could if saved myself a lot of time and money.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 01:26AM

I think there are many that wish we were enlightened, younger/ adolescent..it's what causes so much regret and pain..the years stolen by this corp.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 03:04AM

I never read anything from the Tanners. I only heard the name after my trips to the library in the 80's to read some mormon history including much from Journal of discourses. All mormon books.

When I passed on some of what I'd read I was repeatedly accused of having read the Tanner's stuff. The reaction was violent enough that I purposely avoided reading anything from the Tanners because I knew I'd be forever stained and my efforts would be fruitless. In retrospect it didn't matter what I said or read but I naively thought I could reason with mormons back then.

The Tanners were definitely the Devil's own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2014 03:04AM by thingsithink.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: October 15, 2014 03:08AM

Link to today's podcast please?

Date: October 15, 2014 11:32AM

This happened in the May - June 2014 timeframe.

Search mormonstories.org

472: Sandra (and Jerald) Tanner Pt. 1 — The Early Years
473: Sandra Tanner Pt. 2 — LDS Apostles, First Vision, Books of Mormon and Abraham, and Mark Hofmann
474: Sandra Tanner Pt. 3 — Treasure Digging, Polygamy, Thomas Ferguson, Eugene England
475: Sandra Tanner Pt 4: “Anti-Mormonism,” Her Christian Beliefs, the Future of the LDS Church, Jerald’s Passing, and Final Testimony

If that is what youare asking about.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.