Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 12:08PM

I found this on Facebook.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY7SQkjr5ts

If this is what they're doing in Young Women's, maybe I won't consider pushing my daughters to start attending church.* I'm sure this was pushed every year (every Sunday!) when I was in YW, but seeing it now makes me cringe.

*(Their father isn't a member and I haven't attended church meetings in six years).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 01:22PM

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see regular Jesus in there anywhere.

I saw stuff about tithing, the so called prophet, the temple, and "traditional" gender roles.

But no Regular Jesus.

Hmmmmm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 01:22PM by Raptor Jesus.

Date: January 30, 2014 01:53PM

There were reading scriptures, no doubt the BOM.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 02:00PM

They require motivational music to help them just get through the days because there are so many things that they MUST do - most of which are joyless.

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 02:06PM

These people have the worst ethics. They are using that song without permission or attribution and also using the Olympic logo in the same way. But its okay to steal cause the end justifies the means.

Date: January 30, 2014 02:35PM

They did use the song without giving credit and getting permission. They did change the Olympic logo to 8 rings, giving them the colors of the YW values. So at least they didn't use the exact Olympic logo.

Posted by: fredoi ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 05:44AM

Don't punish the victims....rescue them.
I also assume you send royalties every time you sing Happy Birthday?

Posted by: Descending Gradually ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 02:36PM

I like how they highlighted TSCC's slogan at the very end, "Go for the gold." That's what it's all about! From JS on...

Date: January 30, 2014 02:41PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 03:39PM

What. The. Hell. Was. That...???

Date: January 30, 2014 04:15PM

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 07:53PM

I'd be surprised if any of them were over 30, so perhaps "grown" might not be accurate yet.

Date: January 30, 2014 08:15PM

I think they're in their early 30s, based on what I know from my neighbors.

Date: January 30, 2014 08:36PM

Part of me was hoping that they were just past college age so that maybe this isn't quite as scary as it would be if they were older.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 07:18PM

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 07:45PM

My spouse is also a neverMo, but we took our kids to church with some regularity so they could be exposed to Christian thinking. This video is why we stopped completely when my oldest hit 12. I wanted her to know she can do anything. Not just laundry and babysitting and gardening.

She's at UCLA and a budding filmmaker herself. I want to get her to totally remake this movie with the same quotes and examples like medicine...teaching...Habitat for Humanity...

Date: January 30, 2014 08:16PM

Yes! I'd love to see that!

Date: January 30, 2014 08:03PM

She also has a "What Makes You Beautiful" video too. So precious...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 08:19PM

I couldn't finish watching. This is so weird. Does any other group do things like this? I mean, other than the YM?

Date: January 30, 2014 09:21PM

Oh too bad! You missed the ending where they were all skipping to the temple. haha

Date: January 30, 2014 09:24PM

They got plenty of compliments on Facebook. All the comments were about how amazing they are as leaders and how "cute" the video is.

Posted by: PizzaAdvocate ( )
Date: January 30, 2014 10:45PM

What makes me sad about this video is it's teaching these young girls that if they garden and do laundry and cook and take care of the kids, they'll get a medal from a grown man in an ill-fitting suit. And they see that as "going for the gold."

Date: January 30, 2014 11:03PM

Too true, thus my declaration in my original post of not taking my children to church in the first place.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:16AM

That is a fantastic summary of the video. It's sad - these leaders look like a fun group really willing to put themselves out there to reach their YW. But the message is just plain sad.

Date: January 31, 2014 10:28AM

That does make a great YW leadership, doing fun things to reach out to the girls. They just don't realize how absurd they look and sound.

Posted by: Grumpoledog ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 12:39AM

Oh My Heck, That's the worst Sister Wife's episode ever.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 01:18AM

The only way to earn money is babysitting. Don't forget to give you 10ยข to the church!

Your reward is a cheap cardboard medallion hung around your neck by some geek in a suit.

You can all skip down the yellow brick road in the end.

P.S. I wonder what they'll think of the man behind the curtain.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 31, 2014 01:23AM

My gosh. What a waste of time. A bunch of women doing mundane daily tasks and pretending they are somehow special or blessed for doing them. And all of those chores are preparing them for the ultimate prize of the temple? What a let down if that was the message.

Don't get me wrong. Homemaking takes time, effort, and skill if it's done right and deserves some appreciation but that doesn't seem to come out in this video. Homemaking is made to look stupid, simple, and silly.

For some reason Mormons seem to think that if you do something, anything, and then write it down on a chart or in a book that somehow it makes it noteworthy. Yuck.

Date: January 31, 2014 10:34AM

Pooped Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> For some reason Mormons seem to think that if you
> do something, anything, and then write it down on
> a chart or in a book that somehow it makes it
> noteworthy. Yuck.

Thank you for adding your comment. You're the first to acknowledge the point of this video, which is motivation to complete the year's goals of Personal Progress. From what I've heard it's changed since I was a Young Woman. Now the goals in the Personal Progress book are much more "spiritual" (read this scripture and write in your journal how it makes you feel) and also more scripted. When I completed my goals, I could essentially check off what I was already doing (volunteering at the library, studying at school, going to church, etc), but now it's not as flexible and they have written the projects for you. Way less individual from I've heard. That is sad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.