Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 11:22AM

I have some friends that are so proud of their lack of football knowledge and act like they'd never participate in anything as pedestrian as watching a football game. If football isn't your thing, that's FINE. I don't like a lot of things many people love like root beer, Lake Powell, Disney movies and church. But I don't think that makes me better than anyone. I also don't think I'm some sort of superior being because I do actually like to watch a football game and basically understand what is going on.

My guess is the people who like football or genuinely don't care about football were the people in high school who felt accepted, liked and successful whether they were quarterbacks or honors students or band members or just a quiet student with a nice group of friends who enjoyed high school. The people who constantly have to talk about how stupid football is are those who felt marginalized and still want to stick it to the "popular" kids. It's pretty dumb, IMO, to still care about these high school dynamics in the grown-up world.

If you don't like football, just ignore it. Don't try to ruin anyone else's fun. Nobody who likes football is going to think you are a superior being for disdaining it so you might as well save your breath.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 11:29AM

Some people try hard to be counter culture. If they only knew that counter culture was popular. It's the ultimate dichotomy.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:42PM

Is that kind of like the joke, "I tried to anticonformist, but there were too many rules." Most labels, including anticonformist and counter-culture are actually drawn up in the boardrooms of big fashion companies, who then decide how you are going to dress, act, and express yourself in order to fit in that label.

I'm a bit of an anti-conformist, but I express it by buying comfortable polo shirts and jeans at Target rather than overpriced crap at Hot Topic. Then again, I am just trying to live comfortably in a simple manner, not send any messages.

Also note how when people say they want to live a simple lifestyle, this somehow includes doing things in the most difficult and complicated manner possible. Like making your own soap.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:43PM

Posted by: cynthus ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 11:31AM

Sometimes when people only talk football and the person who doesn't like football either leaves or says that he/she doesn't like football. It is not a big deal. It is not bragging. It is just is. You might not like opera.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 11:35AM

You did not see the dozens of posts and memes about not caring about the SB. They spent a lot of time and effort not caring.

Date: February 04, 2014 11:34AM

There is a lot of pop culture that I don't care for. You did not see me of FB a week ago bragging about not caring about the Grammies.

Posted by: dragonmystic ( )

I did this when I was younger.

It was to keep up my "nerd cred."

No, seriously.

------------
It's a psychology thing, if you're trying to fit in with a group, and you feel threatened by any other groups, you will do your most to convince other people that you have nothing to do with it--you don't even "know" about it.

The overplayed "Nerd vs. Jocks" has suddenly taken a weird turn where the "Nerds" can be just as popular and desirable a position to be in--perhaps more (though personal bias there)-- than the jocks side. So, just like a "jock" might have said something like "Chess? What's this little 'pawn' thing, something to toss across the room?" to appeal to their crowd and fit in more, the "nerds" will now do that with football.

It's stupid and unnecessary, yes. But it happens.

Date: February 04, 2014 11:40AM

I am a nerd. I read history for fun. I go to board game clubs. I love computer games. I studied 3 languages.

I also love watching football and tennis. I watch college football and NFL Redzone every week in the Fall. I think the SB is typically the worst football weekend of the year.

Life is too short to restrict yourself based on narrow minded categories.

Posted by: dragonmystic ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 11:47AM

I agree. Now, obviously.

People are complex, and liking "nerdy" things is not mutually exclusive to liking "jock" things. Really, the distinction between "nerd" and "jock" is a completely arbitrary and false construct.

But in culture, particularly U.S. culture, some people think that construct is sacrosanct, and so shouldn't be crossed. Particularly those that secretly like both. So they will try to convince others--but mostly themselves--that they are are on one side or the other.

Like I said, it's dumb. But it's humans.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )

not trying to be a bitch here or ruin anyone's fun. But I could care less about sports. On my list of things to do, that would be the very last thing on earth I would care about. But if you like it, carry on. I don't think I'm better than you. I just don't see the appeal.

Date: February 04, 2014 11:35AM

and to play the other side of the card, why would it bother you if other people think sports are dumb?

Date: February 04, 2014 11:43AM

Not saying you do this, but some of the comments act like those who do watch sports are Neanderthals.

I had a boss who openly stated that watching TV damaged your brain, and would insert that comment whenever we started discussing our favorite shows. I did not care if she watched TV or not; I hated her belittling me for my free time habits.

Date: February 04, 2014 11:49AM

ok, I can see that. I watch a LOT of tv btw, so if anyone is a Neanderthal it would be me. When I was at school yesterday someone brought up the game because my teacher was rooting for the broncos and he said "oh ya they lost, no biggie" The guy that brought it up let us all know that even though he knew the final score, he did NOT watch the game because why? I am quoting him now

"We don't believe in disrespecting the lord, it is against our religion" (he is a native Spanish speaker, so his English is very broken) And so my teacher said "really? you let the people in SLC decide what you're going to watch on tv on Sundays?) ha, I love my teacher.

And he said "no, you don't understand, my love for the lord is greater than the game"

So glad he wasted his day doing NOTHING for the lord. Yet checking his phone for the final score.

Date: February 04, 2014 11:52AM

I forgot to mention that before he "confessed" to us, he let us know that he was a Mormon convert.

Date: February 04, 2014 12:49PM

People with your attitude, Tupperwhere, who honestly aren't interested in football but don't put down those who are doesn't bother me in the slightest. Actually, I wish people would have your attitude. What bugs me is people who have a superiority complex about disdaining football. I don't think I'm smarter than you because I do like football - it's just a preference. I'm OK with preferences. But last I checked, not liking football doesn't increase anyone's IQ and I'm tired of people who act like it does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2014 01:04PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 11:48AM

"My guess is the people who like football or genuinely don't care about football were the people in high school who felt accepted, liked and successful whether they were quarterbacks or honors students or band members or just a quiet student with a nice group of friends who enjoyed high school. The people who constantly have to talk about how stupid football is are those who felt marginalized and still want to stick it to the 'popular' kids."

I think that's a pretty broad generalization. Was there something in particular on the RfM forum that sparked this question?

Date: February 04, 2014 12:56PM

Just the football talk. But reading these posts, I can see how we could relate it to Mormonism because putting people down for what they believe when their beliefs contradict ones own in is a sign of an insecure person. The Mormons who are most insecure about their beliefs tend to put people down the most when they leave - or so it seems. So is there a parallel with people who don't like football? People who are secure in their dislike don't care about other people being football fans but insecure people need to belittle them for their interest in the NFL. Maybe I'm stretching or maybe that's why the football thing bugs me - it's too much like the Mormon thing.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:13PM

I think the people who do like football are the ones who haven't matured past high school and still spend a lot of time thinking about it as the "best days of their lives."

Not really, but the OP's generalization was ridiculous.

I hate football. I would rather watch paint dry. I think it's violent, damaging and a complete waste. If you like it, by all means watch it. But I'm not sure why you expect everyone else to like it, and there's no reason those of us who think it's idiotic shouldn't be free to express ourselves. We are surrounded by a culture that worships professional athletes, so it's not like your right to watch the Stupor Bowl is being threatened.

Date: February 04, 2014 12:59PM

You didn't read my post very clearly. Go back and read it again and you'll see that I don't expect people to like it. Hate it all day long if you want. I won't claim to understand why - to me football is a great family activity, sharing time, talking, cheering for your team. Like playing Monopoly or bird watching - there won't be much to show for it when you are done maybe but it's fun and relaxing.

But I don't think I'm better than you because I like it and it bugs me that people act superior because they don't like football. Not liking football isn't a virtue any more than liking football makes you superior. It's a hobby not a whipping block.

Posted by: football haterz ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:16PM

because so many people who love football are sooooo annoying. I like camping, but you dont hear me talking about it in every conversation.

Date: February 04, 2014 12:23PM

At one point, I hated it so much it was a deal breaker for getting seriously involved with someone.

I don't think it makes me "culturally superior" or anything like that, I just don't like the machismo bro culture surrounding football or most sports for that matter. There are other complex reasons as well that I don't feel like getting into. However, my BF loves football and spends Mondays and Sundays watching games during the season and I don't begrudge him this activity. He enjoys it and understands why I don't find it a fun. I certainly don't expect him to enjoy the diversions I have.

Different strokes.

Date: February 04, 2014 12:25PM

my boyfriend is pretty much dead during basketball playoffs. I still love him though even though I think basketball is even lower than football lol. Sorry everyone, I just have no reason to like sports. It brings zero joy into my life.

Date: February 04, 2014 12:30PM

BF doesn't ignore me in favour for football like the other "sports widows" I've heard of, lol. We're both pretty accepting of each others' personal interests, even if we don't care for some of them respectively.

Date: February 04, 2014 12:33PM

well you're lucky. This year must have pissed a bunch of females who made bronco food. :)

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:36PM

...having no computer knowledge. Bear in mind that I am using some awful generalizations here, but it seems to be separated by gender... The guys have a rather defiant air about them: "I don't know nuthin' about no Ð@ɱИ computers!"

Women, especially women my age, have this hesitant little "Oh, I just let my [husband,son,grandson,etc] deal with that stuff, I don't understand it," as if knowing their way around a PC is ever so unfeminine! I have a few friends for whom I do computer repairs, and they all express a wide-eyed shock that an old woman dang near 60 can fix and even build a computer. It's not real flattering sometimes when they eye me with suspicion.

People brag about weird things, don't they?

Date: February 04, 2014 01:02PM

Or women who brag about not being able to cook - I can cook when I put my mind to it but I'm not particularly good. However, I also don't think not being able to cook makes me look like I'm more of a serious career-oriented person either.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:46PM

I actually really like football. But I also understand that getting psyched about a team's wins is the equivalent of cheering each time IBM stock goes up. And, believe me, those two thoughts running around in my head can really screw up a game.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 12:50PM

Was I the only one who noticed the irony of bringing up high school in order to talk about how silly people are who can't let high school go?

Date: February 04, 2014 01:03PM

And yet you didn't bring up an alternative reason :)

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: February 04, 2014 01:09PM

Lol, no, I just enjoyed the irony. I also felt that all the alternate reasons were explored (esp counter culture). Highschool angst is definitely a possibility.

I mean, I think football is boring, and I don't like watching it on TV. However, I understand why people enjoy it, and I have enjoyed some especially good games myself when roommates were watching.

Also, I agree with people saying that the football fanatics can be downright obnoxious by talking about it all the time and everywhere. Then again, I find everything popular does this (basketball, Lost, Arrested Development, Twilight, Harry Potter, etc). I think there is always going to be a pushback against perceived bandwagoning, even though it seems like a silly way to go about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.