Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NotSoSure ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 01:20AM

My daughter bought a Keurig yesterday, much to my surprise.

When I told her last summer that I don't believe the church, she cried and raged and said that maybe I wouldn't be able to see her children anymore. It was a very traumatic time for us both.

As the months have passed, she has become more used to the idea that I don't believe. She's mentioned at times that she would like to go on a vacation and just wear "regular" underwear. She bought the Keurig for hot chocolate, herbal tea and lemonade, but is fine with me using it for coffee. The other day the subject came up about the temple penalties and she was shocked. She had no idea what I was talking about. I think it disturbed her to learn the truth, and then I was also able to explain blood atonement.

The sister missionaries stopped to see me a couple of nights ago and I told them just a little. They had heard something about Monson and a lawsuit, so I was able to fill them in and explain it was a summons for fraud. My daughter and her husband were in the other room and I imagine they heard some of the discussion.

The point I'm making is this: Maybe the best thing we can do for our loved ones is to continue to live as we believe is best and when they see we haven't gone off the deep end, they may soften up and eventually listen to what we have to say.

Oh, and yesterday she picked up and almost bought a bottle on de-alcoholized wine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 01:27AM

This is so very good for you. Imagine your daughter went from not wanting her kids around you, to buying you a coffee maker!!!

In Mormon language this is called "You are so blessed!!"

Congratulations ! you are very pretty lucky compared to other posters here. We must all be thankful for what we have and not think about what we don't have.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 12:24PM

I think that's great. I totally agree with the idea that we should just go about our lives, happy and healthy and at peace, because it just freaks out Mormons when we aren't angry exmos, doomed to sin, trying to get their testimonies from them. When we act like nothing has happened, drink Starbucks in front of them with no shame, act like everything is normal - all their weapons blunt in their hands. If we are nice to them and don't accept delivery of their shame or shunning, they literally don't know what to do. I've lost track of how many times I've talked to a Mormon who was clearly uncomfortable at first then who softened into more or less our old relationship as I went along talking, just as happy and friendly as I'd always been. Now granted, I'm mostly doing it to put them on the spot and not allow them to make me uncomfortable, rather than that I consider them friends. But not accepting their "punishments" really leaves them at a loss - I've seen it.

I've also seen Mormons willing to talk to me about their problems and faults. When I bumped into one of the Mormons in the ward at the grocery store on Sunday, I acted like it was any other day of the week and pretty soon she was telling me about her problems with her son and daughter. She didn't feel she had to keep up an image around me any more and I think she really needed someone to talk to who wouldn't judge her. That made me feel really good - to ease someone's Mormon burden for a few minutes and make them feel accepted and understood, regardless.

Posted by: past-that ( )
Date: February 22, 2014 08:13PM

Wonderful news! happy for you. Sharing it will give others hope.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.