Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sistertwister ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 09:50AM

It's difficult for us to wrap our heads around joining another religion after spending 35 + years in the TSCC. We do miss the social aspects of church from time to time but, life has been healthier and happier for us. We have attended several meetings held by Ex-Mo's but, the atmosphere was very similiar to the LDS Church and not what we were looking for. It was great support group but, not a religion. After so many years of making Church a priority it's strange to have our Sundays free. Maybe the structured religions know this and it fills the void in a persons life?

We consider ourselves spiritual not religious but, I might consider getting out again in order to meet others. Have you found a church you like since leaving the Mormon Church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 09:51AM

I haven't yet and I don't know when or if I'll get to that point.

Posted by: anonymous009 ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 10:07AM

you might consider a Unitarian Universalist church

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 10:11AM

- which isn't often - I will try to catch an Episcopal church service.

Posted by: Sarony ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 12:41AM

Another vote for the Episcopal Communion!

I tend to look at Christianity as a metaphor and the priest (and many parishoners) feel the same.
I call being Episcopalalian "most of the pageantry and pomp of Catholicism and none of the guilt!"

Better yet, I like Episcopalians. They are not troubled by certainty; they are fine with not knowing everything is true.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 10:12AM

I haven't and can't see myself ever joining another organized religion. I want nothing to do with man made doctrine; I believe that our own God given feelings and instincts are enough of a guide.

I love love love having our weekends free; we have twice as much weekend now! No more boring, stifling, 3 hours of sitting in an ugly church building every single Sunday.

What we plan on doing with our Sundays is using that as family time. We'll go on a hike, picnic, drive, or whatever. When we were members, we felt that our family time was so very limited. I also want to start getting involved in service/volunteer on Sundays as a family, working in a soup kitchen or something like that. I think that will give us some meaning and fulfillment.

Date: February 24, 2014 11:04AM

We have so much in common -- must be a long lost sister?

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 01:35PM

sistertwister Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We have so much in common -- must be a long lost
> sister?

We're sisters in the gospel...heehee!

Kidding aside, I didn't notice your screen name until after I registered mine. Couldn't come up with a more clever/ironic name than that - I don't even like the band, but it's sort of how I felt after leaving the church. Confused and twisted up inside.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2014 01:36PM by twistedsister.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 10:15AM

I went to a UU church for a few months. I was mostly looking for a community of open minded people in the Bible Belt. I was 98% atheist, willing to contemplate the possibility of some sort of collective cosmic consciousness or other permutation of westernized Eastern philosophy. After a while I shrugged, "Eh, so what?" Would it change how I live? No. And the social aspects never materialized, either. So I went back to my natural churchless state.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 11:10AM

I float back and forth between Catholic and Episcopalian, but I haven't officially joined either one (not against the idea, just not a priority). Episcopalian church appeals to me because really, no matter what you believe, you will probably find another person who believes the same thing. I'll never be in another church that encourages local leaders to drag members into their office to call them to repentance again - I'm a grown man, unless I'm collecting a pay check from them, I don't care much for taking orders from other adults.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 01:01PM

No.

I will never again be able to live with an organised form of religion. Never again will someone tell me what to believe, or how to live.

Posted by: seeker 1 ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 01:28PM

I found a warm non-judgmental nondenom church that is accepting, not money-hungry, and really like it. There are many other churches who also live the example of Christ far better than the morg. You contribute as much time/money as you feel comfortable with, no nagging.

Posted by: Southern Utah Apostate ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 01:40PM

sistertwister Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's difficult for us to wrap our heads around
> joining another religion after spending 35 + years
> in the TSCC. We do miss the social aspects of
> church from time to time but, life has been
> healthier and happier for us. We have attended
> several meetings held by Ex-Mo's but, the
> atmosphere was very similiar to the LDS Church and
> not what we were looking for. It was great support
> group but, not a religion. After so many years of
> making Church a priority it's strange to have our
> Sundays free. Maybe the structured religions know
> this and it fills the void in a persons life?
>
> We consider ourselves spiritual not religious but,
> I might consider getting out again in order to
> meet others. Have you found a church you like
> since leaving the Mormon Church?

I tried a couple others, but eventually got tired of being lectured about Jesus by hypocrites. Too boring...

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 01:44PM

Never. I am now atheist.

Posted by: Been there, too ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 02:06PM

I think it's human nature to want to belong to a community. In many places, churches are the center of the community life. So, I've attended and participated in a few over the years, but never as a believer or member. Just more of a cultural experience.

I've found that outside of TSCC and fundamentalist sects, it's possible to develop genuine friendships with people and eventually forget that you first met at a church service. Although, I've also found that church communities can be very artificial--and it's the socially awkward people that seek it out as they have trouble making friends outside of it.

I think if you start attending another church you'll eventually wonder why everyone is doing silly rituals, sitting through a boring service, pretending to believe something they don't, and accepting some charismatic person as their leader. You'll realize that they're only doing it out of desperation to belong to a group. You'll realize that the church group is totally contrived. And then you'll move on.

Instead of joining an artificial community, I suggest that you cultivate friendships.

Date: February 24, 2014 09:30PM

You're so right!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 03:52PM

No....emphatically NO! I will never be a member of another church. Churches are all about rules and controlling their members...even if they claim they aren't. No room in my life for that garbage. I have my wife, by children and grandchildren, my dear and precious friends and our dogs and a beautiful home and farm. I need nothing else.

Ron Burr

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 04:14PM

On the rare occasions I do go to church, I go to an Episcopal church. When I get married again, it's most likely going to be at an Episcopal church or other denomination that doesn't care that I'm divorced.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 09:05PM

for a few months after talking to a former co-worker that is a member. I liked the fact that the priest is married (7 kids!), and I agree with most of the dogma, and I enjoyed the socializing with edibles and coffee/tea etc. afterwards. My excuse for not going now is that I don't drive due to disability and it's a pain to ride the paratransit to the other side of town.

It was nice to wear dress pants to church too, I always detested wearing dresses. I am considering attending an Episcopal church, but I do like my lazy Sundays now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2014 09:07PM by possiblypagan.

Posted by: raisingspecialneeds ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 10:23PM

I'm now Baptist. However, it was almost four years before I started attending a different church from the time I went inactive with the knowledge that I would never return.

Posted by: Redneck Wonderland ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 10:49PM

Personally, like many have said before, NO.

If one should chose to join a religion, its about helping make you a better person.

Posted by: Nolongerin can't log in ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 10:55PM

Happy Methodist. Social justice, and good potlucks. A little lazier theologically than Episcopalians. A good youth group for my kids, who would rather go to Methodist youth than school activities.

Denomination doesn't matter to me so much, but I do like the social justice aspects of the Methodists.

Posted by: Maverick ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 11:11PM

No. My journey out of Mormonism altered my world view in a way that precludes belief in the supernatural. My worldview shifted from mysticism to rationality. Atheism, if you like.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: February 24, 2014 11:45PM

No, never, ever! Once the Book of Mormon fell apart and The Book of Abraham and The Doctrine and Covenants.....the Bible did too.

Posted by: hikergrl ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 12:04AM

If there's a weekend I'm not hiking, I attend a non-denominational Christian Church. Consider taking some Bible studies so you know what you're getting into.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 12:10AM

when I attend, it's with Seattle Mennonite Church.

the people there are Mellow, loving, & non-judgmental.

it's about 179 degrees away from ChurchCo, and I LOVE the people there.

rules? what are those?

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 12:11AM

I am very happy to be religion-free.

Posted by: Ultramom ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 12:37AM

No.

Before: True believer

After: Freedom from belief

Posted by: ShickenSh*t ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 12:30AM

I attend Non-Denominational church about twice a week. I am interested in the traditional Protestant denominations also, like Lutheran. I'm just taking it slow. Been out of the Morg. for 2 years.

Posted by: ShickenSh*t ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 12:31AM

I meant twice a month, lol.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 12:49AM

The best spiritual high for me is one on one with mother earth. There is nothing more surreal and tranquil than running the trails along heber valley, or skiing beaver mtn ( my personal favorite).. that feeling is what i wanted from worship\church..but never experienced in the cold, echoing, chapel..ever

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 25, 2014 01:00AM

I was baptized Episcopalian as a baby so that's what I tell people I am now. In reality, I have gone to a few Episcopalian services but as much as I agree with their doctrine, I don't really like the local minister or the services. Conversely, I don't agree with a lot of what Catholics believe but I love the priest at our local parish and his services are wonderful. I go there every other month or so. I also occasionally attend my friend's Evangelical church because they are big on "it's between you and Jesus - no need to join a church and btw, here is a thought about being a better, more tolerant, loving person." I love how they have a great, friendly, laid-back, no pressure community and have discovered there are a few exmos who are members.

But at the end of the day, I have trouble believing in much of anything anymore. I don't mind going and listening to an uplifting message as long as there is no pressure. But if I joined up anywhere, it would probably be the Unitarians because I can't agree enough with any one religion to feel comfortable committing to it. I do like the social aspects of all of them though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.