Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sawyer ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 12:08AM

I hear this accusation a lot.

If so, can you give specific examples?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jalden ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 01:00AM

In an interview with Larry King, President hinkley stated that the early church only practiced polygamy on a restricted basis and that it was carefully safeguarded. Pres. hinkley also stated that the church never taught that adam was god during general conference. (If you look through the journal of discourses this is something Brigham Young believed and taught repeatedly)

He has to know neither of those are the case. Those are the only two I can think of. That was the prophet that I was active under :).

Posted by: Sawyer ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 01:21AM

Do you think Hinkley was ignorant of the truth, or was he just plain lying?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 01:32AM

and justified it in order to put a good spin on past church practices.

Personally, I think hypocrisy is different. Like asking members to house the missionaries while having no intention of housing them yourselves. Or asking members to clean toilets you would never deign to touch. Or refusing to stay in an older hotel in Hawaii and spending 500 million in church funds to build a better one, while compelling missionaries to live on next to nothing in a dump. In other words, asking people to do things and say things and be things for righteousness sake that you wouldn't dream of doing yourself. Saying something was good and right but not living it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.