Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: yesnomaybe ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 10:17PM

Saw someone from my old ward yesterday at the grocery store. I walked in and instantly recognized them...they very obviously looked down to avoid eye contact. I shopped a bit and then headed to the front. This person was checking out and once again, very blatantly looked away to avoid looking into my evil eyes. So...I went in the line right behind them to make them squirm. Smiled and said hello with no response and a quick scurry out the door. I guess they were worried I was going to cast a spell on them or something.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 10:18PM

Haha! So strange how they act, it really is as if they're scared we'll yell "boo!" at them or something lol.

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 10:23PM

lol.... yes

I sent an email to the rsp who also lives a few doors down, asking politely to be removed from the visiting teaching program. A few days later at the grocery store, I turn a corner, and boom... we were face to face. It was seriously hilarious. The panic in her eyes as she tried to act like she didn't know me.... I just smiled and said hi.... honestly I was really about to bust out laughing. Poor lady really didn't know how to react.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 10:24PM

Ha Ha - I don't let people get away with that either. I'll go up to them and slop sugar all over them until they talk. Even if they are uncomfortable. But usually, they relax after a few sentences.

It's funny how a church committed to following a Savior who said the second most important commandment to obey is Love thy Neighbor can screw it up so profoundly because of fear or pride, which the above mentioned God has counseled against. If I believed in a Satan, I'd think he was a genius for turning someone so against the teachings of their god with such a simple thing as fear and self-righteousness. Mormons really screw the pooch when they act like that and they don't realize it. Like that scripture that says "those who think they are standing will fall."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2014 10:25PM by CA girl.

Posted by: readbooks ( )
Date: October 05, 2014 10:58PM

Yes, the RS president hid from me in the grocery store about six months ago. It was pretty funny.

Posted by: Jilly ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 12:13AM

This happens to me ALOT. My former HT lives on the next street over, so I see him at the store all the time. He and his wife try to run away, but that's really hard with their big fat a$$es. It's always in the bread and pastry aisle.

Does that sound mean?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 12:17AM

Oh yes! The grocery store shun. It's beginning to be funny. I'll never let those people out the door without saying hello to them. For some reason, they're terrified of me.

Posted by: Arwen ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 12:20AM

You all are hilarious! No one knows we've left yet, so I haven't experienced it. Now I have something to look forward to.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 12:40AM

Yes, I got the grocery store shun almost exactly like you described it. Got the same shun from my sister's ex-husband.

But.....another grocery store encounter was quite the opposite. The woman turned around, saw me, and came over and gave me a big hug. I worked at Ricks College when her daughter was a student there and I became very close to her daughter. I also am not sure if she knew I had resigned.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 01:53AM

Mormons don't understand or deal with Christ-Like love very well with most Everything being conditional.

I think it ALL trails back to the lies that Joe started off with, but maybe that's just me.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 03:05AM

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah . . .

Protestants don't recognize the Pope's authority . . .

and

Mormons don't recognize each other in the liquor store.

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 07:27AM

If possible (and you're outside the Morridor), the next time this happens go to the service counter, ask to use the P.A. system and announce, "Attention shoppers! There is a Mormon spotted in Aisle 5 and she is acting weird.....like all members of her church do. If spotted and she bears her testimony, please stay clear of her and call security". Or something like that.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 08:04AM

Yeah, I have, but it was the opposite situation. I was still Mormon, but they had left. I even jumped in front of them and said, "Hi!" They muttered back a really clipped, "Hi," as they darted around me and practically sprinted down the hall. And this had been one of my friends. Don't know what that was about. Weird.

Posted by: Lorenzo's Ho ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 09:04AM

That's weird! I get the opposite response. They are usually the ones that spot me and say hello. I don't even notice them until they say Hi.

Posted by: non-utard ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 09:12AM

Its funny running into a bishop at a school function or filling the gas tank after having given him a copy of the CES letter he said he would read it and get back to me and didn't. The missionaries would always knock on the door and home teachers would come unannounced and for some strange reason they have stopped after getting a copy of the CES letter.

Posted by: Good Clean Fun ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 10:21AM

Interesting. The LDS churchgoers where I live continue to be friendly, if sometimes awkward. I've even ran into some a couple times when I had a case of beer in hand - no big deal to either party.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.