Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Apricot ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 04:02AM

Someone I know changed their profile pic to that I'm a Mormon pic. Someone else commented that at first they thought it said Moron..... Roflmao. I "liked" the comment.

Now my mom is using the pic. Barf.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 04:17AM

I already have about 3 of my TBM friends using that pic. I am really thinking about turning off my FB for the week as a result.

Posted by: greenAngels ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 07:56AM

yeah my two LDS best buds (who didn't give a fig when I left, have stayed by my side all this time) both changed their profile pics to this orange "I'm a Mormon" and then put a temple pic as their big background photo.

it's annoying but they are fantastic friends so I'll learn to ignore it. Small price to pay, neither one of them has preached to me.

Posted by: Lorenzo's Ho ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 09:08AM

Same here, plus all the conference quotes from mormon Facebook posters. It was really annoying. I tried to avoid fb yesterday because of it.

It would be really funny to have the same post as I'm a Mormon only change it to I'm A Moron! I think they would notice the mockery.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 09:50AM

I unfollowed him and almost unfriended him.

Posted by: Apricot ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 10:48AM

I want to try blocking the image, but it don't think I can.

Just as you can hide all the posts of a friend, you can also hide all shares from a certain source. I've hidden shares from all lds sources. It helps my sanity.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 10:51AM

The herd mentality is mind boggeling.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 11:23AM

OMG I want to vomit between all the conference and I'm a mormon posts.

Funny thing too, they have around 70k some participants? A far cry from the 250k goal.

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 11:31AM

I've seen two "I'm a Mormon" things so far today.

Even worse is I've seen more conference postings today than I did over the weekend.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 11:38AM

I don't know, I'm actually embarrassed for the people doing the "I'm a mormon" thing on FB. You don't see any other religions or organization doing that. It smacks of desperation and fear if you ask me, to have to keep reaffirming and proclaiming your religion.

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 02:18PM

Yeah, there was absolutely no conversation in our church about changing our profile pics to, "I'm a Methodist."

It smacks of desperation, big time.

Posted by: jrichins278 ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 11:53AM

I want to ask them if they ever have anyone ask them about it from changing their picture to "I'm a Mormon". Isn't that the goal? The only people I see comment or like Mormon posts are fellow Mormons. Maybe it's more for the current members to feel good about sharing the gospel. If they see other people doing it, they'll see it's not so weird or difficult to do? I don't know, but I'm not a fan.

Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 12:01PM

I counted 7 "I'm a Mormon" profile pic changes.

And, now, I need to go block 7 people.

Posted by: Sweet Spirit ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 12:43PM

I've also seen several people change to "I'm an Atheist" or "I'm an Agnostic" or "I'm a Human Being". I like those ones better.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 12:46PM

I've only seen 2 out of the 350 plus friends I have. And considering how many of them are LDS, that is saying something. I think a lot of Mormons either didn't get the word or couldn't be bothered because they realize on some level how stupid it makes them look.

Date: October 06, 2014 01:29PM

I thought back in the day the church had counseled against referring to themselves as "Mormons" and instead should use the phrase "latter day saint"

Shouldn't it say "I'm a latter day saint"

Not that I care, I really don;t want to see either.

Posted by: greenAngels ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 02:01PM

when i was growing up in the 80s and 90s we were taught to say that we were Christians, Mormon was an inappropriate term for us cause it looked like we worshipped the BOM.

times have changed lol

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 02:01PM

My niece just changed her pic. I'm tempted to post this as a reply:

"And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted." Mat 23:12

Or, these from Proverbs 27:

"1 Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth."

"2 Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips."

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 02:06PM

Or, maybe I could just say "Well, isn't that special" (in my best church lady voice). lol

Date: October 06, 2014 03:49PM

Or "I'm sorry"

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 02:03PM

Can you imagine how much more stupid they would look if they posted "I'm a Latter-day Saint?" Geez, you might as well post you are the tooth fairy as far as how crazy you'd look to your non-LDS friends.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 02:34PM

They want the gentiles to "show respect" by using their "correct" name and to refer to them as Latter Day Saints -- but over and over again, they roll out variations of the "I'm a Mormon" campaign.

What would they think if the NAACP insisted on its members being referred to as African Americans - but then launching a "I'm a N*****" campaign?

If they find the term "Mormon" offensive, then THEY need to quit using the term to describe themselves.

Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 04:01PM

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 04:03PM

Just spotted one from someone that used to be quite NOM and a lot of fun. That changed in recent months when they opted to batten down the hatches and become completely stalwart TBM rather than face the challenging questions that one should ask when a close friend decides to leave the church.

I did smile though as like the OP, the very first comment from a non-member was that at first they thought it said 'I'm a moron'.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 06, 2014 05:10PM

What I'm watching for is how many DON'T change their profile pictures. I clicked on some active Mormon friends' profiles who you know most of their friends are also active mormon. One has 300-something friends and only 2 had changed their profiles. It will be interesting to see what happens during the week.

I guess it really wouldn't be any big deal for people who live in Utah and really have no non-mormon connections. But I'd imagine if a mormon has 250 mormon connections and 25 non-mormon, they will be too embarrassed to change their picture. I know I would never in a million years have put that as my profile. People think you're weird enough as it is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.