Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 10:10AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 10:13AM

Based on Biblical annointings with oil.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 10:29AM

But I wonder why the biblical people did it. There are other references to oil in the Bible -- oil lamps, for example. So oil had some kind of cultural significance. But someone had to be the first to come up with the idea of connecting oil with special ceremonies. Maybe it was a substitute for blood. Smearing blood on things goes WAY back in human history. Blood of your prey, blood of your enemies, etc.

Posted by: Happy Hare Krishna ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 02:47PM

Oil lamps and the like have spiritual significance in other religious traditions as well, particularly the Vedic traditions and the faiths derived from them (including Hinduism, select Buddhist traditions, Jainism, Sikhism, and the Hare Krishna faith). No connection with blood in these Eastern traditions. Oil is also used in Ayurveda, an ancient Indian system of medicine, for a number of health-related uses; oil massages and drops of pure oil in the nose (nasya therapy), for example, are used on a daily basis or as treatment for certain illnesses and disorders.

Date: April 09, 2014 02:51PM

Oil lamps are particularly known for use during the celebration of Divali, a festival jointly celebrated by Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, and Hare Krishna devotees, known as the Festival of Light. The details of the reason for celebration differ slightly between these faith traditions. In all traditions, it is a celebration of victory over evil, of knowledge over ignorance, or of light over darkness.

Date: April 09, 2014 02:52PM

There is a Hare Krishna prayer which offers gratitude for the putting out of the "darkness of ignorance" with the "light of knowledge".

Date: April 09, 2014 02:55PM

Oil lamps have also been used in Pagan traditions, as well as the Vedic tradition. So they (and more generally, oil) have a long history of use in the a religious context even long before, or alongside, the Biblical use of it.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 10:16AM

It began in Joseph's day.

Started out as sex lube and quickly turned into a religious thing.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 10:21AM

The very definition of anoint is to smear or rub with oil, typically as part of a religious ceremony--like in the Bible. But if you rub butter on the crust of your bread you are anointing it. I always anoint my turkeys while roasting.

Without the oil its just a blessing.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 10:28AM

It's due to TSCC's jealousy of big oil companies' money

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 11:02AM

They always said to use "the purest olive oil." That would be something expensive, virgin, and Tuscan. That's a sad waste of Tuscan olive oil. Best to use the cheap 2nd hot-pressed Spanish stuff for a dollar a bottle. Why you can't use simple vegetable or rapeseed oil is beyond me.

Did anyone have a little consecrated oil dispenser on your keychain for roadside emergencies? I had one that fit into a fountain pen I used. It really impressed people when I used it. I saved so many lives by annointing people with oil, saving their limbs and calling them back from the dead. I hate to brag, but there it is.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 11:06AM

perhaps scarcity of pure oil was the reason.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 11:59AM

All BS....blessing are useless...whether they are lubricated or otherwise...

Ron Burr

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 12:05PM

Actually, rubbing the olive oil into the scalp is great conditioner and can give you a luxurious mane.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 12:06PM

better than a beer shampoo?

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 12:25PM

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 12:08PM

It's only a matter of time before Gentile Science discovers that rancid olive oil applied to the scalp cures a plethora of cancers...

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 12:10PM

Had to do something with all the olive oil they had in those parts.

Trivia for the day. Did you know that olive oil financed ancient Greece's rise to fame?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2014 12:12PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: candidexmormon ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 12:13PM

Just another psychological lever of control the celestial masters of deceit have over the fawning masses.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 12:18PM

The ancients infused their anointing oils with mind altering plants like cannabis and myrrh. Some of our best scriptures are drug fueled ramblings.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 02:16PM

One word "CONTROL"

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 03:05PM

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 03:19PM

Sympathetic magic.

Think also of the burnt offerings with the smoke and scent ascending to heaven. The smoke and smell is mostly from the fat rendered into the fire.

Essentially the same concept applied to people.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: April 09, 2014 07:39PM

Anything Joe Smith saw in the bible that he could justify as a practice of early Christianity was integrated into his fabrication.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.